Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm in the same boat. God I hate this fight.

I don't believe that you can ever be completely screwed by RNG during phase 1. Phase 1 comes down to anticipating tornadoes, wind burst, and ice patches and being ready for lightning. You need to make good decisions every time.

Tornadoes at position 7 with wind burst coming? You need to make an on the fly decision based on current lightning positions, ice patches, and lightning cd as to whether you move one way to dodge tornadoes and run in quick for wind burst or you move the other way and eat wind burst to get knocked back just in time to clear the tornadoes. The right decision saves your life, the wrong decision gets you knocked off or in a tornado or eating triple lightning or all of the above.

Eventually you should be able to get out of P1 with no deaths. (You can still recover from a single death, the start of P2 is the best time for brez.)

In phase 2, we have the tank hold the adds while a ranged whittles them down. Once we have 3 will start killing them. It is important to kill them with ~1-3 seconds left on the debuff, otherwise the fight becomes more difficult, but don't give up if you accidently kill one early. In that case you'll need to have the dps in charge of killing adds call for help.
    I am in charge of this in my group. I call out to to kill every add at ~5 secs left (even if I am confident in killing it myself) so that our mage can throw up a quick Arcane Blast and our tank can help with the kill. From experience, I know when an add has higher health than it should have and will call for extra help at ~10 seconds so that all the dps can quickly switch to help burst it down.

Also during phase 2, the healing gets really intense toward the end. Managing debuffs on Al'akir is the key to getting out of the phase quickly, but everyone needs to stay alive for that to happen. Your rogue and ret paladin can reset their stacks of Acid Rain. The ret paladin can also use Hand of Protection on another raid member to clear their stacks (doesn't clear immediately, but makes you immune to the next stack and the old one will fall off). Save raid cooldowns for as long as possible, then chain them. Also make sure you're using nature resist (the shaman should be glyphed for it).

The only other real killer in phase 2 is when the tank has to run back to a 6 or a 7 for tornadoes and gets a couple ticks of Electrocute. Use tank cd's here of course (Tol Barad trinket is great). Healers also need to realize that the tank healer will probably need some help for that.

Once you get through phase 2, the fight becomes much easier, but that doesn't mean you should let your guard down. Phase 3 is about everybody sticking together all the time and not freaking out. A single lightning cloud placed in the wrong place can mess you up. Likewise, forgetting to move out for lightning rod can spell disaster for the raid.

We have the people who get lighting rod call out if they are going left or right, then the next person goes the opposite way. Be careful not to go oor of the healers, just go far enough so that you don't hit people. Above all, stay at the same height as everyone else! Marking someone helps, but everyone should have it in their minds to get back up to just underneath the current lightning cloud while you're on your way down or to get just high enough so that a wind burst doesn't knock you into a lightning cloud when you're on your way to the top.

Good luck.
    Shroomkyn - Dark Iron US

Deleted
    1. dont care bout what others say bout encounter choose. Alakir 10man is a pretty easy fight.
    2. You got 3 raidhealers, + guessing ur tank is tanking the adds in p2?
    3. Also got a low amount of restackers (we had 5palas/mages, dk+rogue in our kill) so the healers gotta be on raid.

conclusion: with that raidsetup, go try some other bosses or get a proper raidsetup

Try 4 heal or use DK dps to offtank stormlings.
    Al'akir is not that hard in 10 man at all (my guild downed him as the 8th HC, after cho'gall).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmealpoet View Post
    Some bosses are harder then others? Mind = blown.
    Clever guy is clever but you're still wrong /b/ro.

Deleted
    Use 3 healers and 1 tank, fight is pretty much faceroll if you have decent dps p1 lasts only 1minute

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobi1337 View Post
    Use 3 healers and 1 tank, fight is pretty much faceroll if you have decent dps p1 lasts only 1minute
    QFT. Very easy fight on 10man I don't know why people say it's harder than nefarian for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentStocket View Post
    QFT. Very easy fight on 10man I don't know why people say it's harder than nefarian for example.
    Thats because Al Akir 10 hc isn't easy without the right setup. I don't like those 25 guilds saying "oh it's so easy" - yes with setup of like 4 "reseters" und very well geared raid. But a 10 man raid won't have that gear and so the softenrage in P2 can be pretty rough.
    P1 is just movement, which can be repeated like 90% of all pulls.

Don't use 4 healers. The fight actually becomes more intensive with 4.

http://bossblueprint.com/view.php?img=u:BvaLFFe

Our MT is a pally which makes removing the stacks a lot easier in phase 2.

Basically, we have the tank move left or right if the RNG causes the Healer/Tank combo to get targeted. There is really no reason for a tank not to move, as they lose almost nothing from doing it.

In the back we have the two DPS groups, and one person on each of those sides is assigned to move to the far far back (Out of Healing range) if thier side is targeted. Ours is our Shadow Priest/Arcane Mage as one can Iceblock (Just in case) while the Shadow Priest can disperse and shield ect.

This is a very good setup and we found it removed a lot of RNG from the encounter.

Phase 2 is a little hectic but as long as you don't pop Lust to early, and make sure the druid is ready to use Tranq on call, then phase 2 should get better over time. Just make sure you have 1 person assigned to adds with a backup. You don't need more than 1 person, at most two. I myself play a MM hunter on add duty. We have another MM Hunter and we alternate MD's to the MT and he helps back me up on adds if I feel it won't die quickly enough.

You are not prepaired!
    Dont even think about using 4 healers. You have to do insane dps to push through p2 and kill adds in the same time.
    You should have either full 272 gear or at least 4 people who can reset stacks to heal through p2.
    Most likely you cant kill this boss in your group.
    Kill omnitron or conclave instead.

The only advice I can give you - your druid tank should use tol barad trinket for this boss.
    Anyway with your gear, raid setup and most likely skill level you cant kill this boss.

OP I have this ex wife I could introduce you to. After a few minutes near her much less interacting with her I am sure you will be longing for the joy that heroic Al'Akir brings you. Imagine a fun black hole having a baby with the dementors from Harry Potter that make you fell like you will never feel joy again.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    We use the same tactic as you for p1. We had a warlock (me) and a hunter moving one spot to the side when we got lightening, and just heal through when lightening was on only 1 person. We did notice that 2-3 people would always die to lightening, and that was because one of our healers wasn't able to heal them properly. Just practice, practice, practice and you'll have p1 with no problems.

For p2, we had a frost DK tanking the adds. We let 2 of them spawn, and he would tank them outside of the group. When the 3rd was about to spawn (saw the graphic but no healthbar), we would kill the first one. When there was 5 secs left on the timer, we killed the second one, etc etc. Our frost DK could pretty much take all the stormlings down below 50% before it was time to kill them, so just assign a hunter or something similer to help bring them to 20%ish if he is having issues doing it himself.

Our issues when getting past this was surviving in p3. Our healers were pretty much oom at this point, so there is no room for making mistakes and taking chunks of damage. We started at the very top and moved down a little after the first lightening. After the second lightening we moved to the very bottom and worked our way up. If you try this and see you are running out of room, you can do two at the top, two at the bottom, 2 at the top etc etc.

Hope this helps!

One pretty useful trick we found (since we only had 1 hunter and tank also handled adds) was for the hunter to park pet next to tanking spot and just MD every add to pet (since with glyph MD immediately resets CD when used on pet). Much easier for tank to just peel the adds off the pet rather than start fishing every other add from the middle of the raid cause MD is on cooldown.

Also, the "Al'Akir 10hc is ez mode" people should have their forum titles changed to Epic Douchebag. Just sayin'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommesfrittes View Post
    Thats because Al Akir 10 hc isn't easy without the right setup. I don't like those 25 guilds saying "oh it's so easy" - yes with setup of like 4 "reseters" und very well geared raid. But a 10 man raid won't have that gear and so the softenrage in P2 can be pretty rough.
    P1 is just movement, which can be repeated like 90% of all pulls.
    We used
    1 Pala tank
    1 Hpala 1 hpriest 1 rshaman
    2*warrior 2*warlock 1*mage 1*shadowpriest

We were in abouts 365 gear and rshaman had 346 shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Syah View Post
    The ret paladin can also use Hand of Protection on another raid member to clear their stacks (doesn't clear immediately, but makes you immune to the next stack and the old one will fall off).
    Can someone confirm/deny this?

It doesn't sound like it should work, but it would be absolutely amazing if it did (which is why I'm asking...).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    *snip*

Also, the "Al'Akir 10hc is ez mode" people should have their forum titles changed to Epic Douchebag. Just sayin'.
    I imagine that when they're making that statement, they're comparing it to 25-man. And compared to the 25-man version, 10-man heroic Al'akir is indeed 'ez mode'. P1 is all the more horrible with 25 people, believe me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Al'Akir 10-man heroic is easier than 25-man heroic and that's a fact, whether you like it or not.

Sklatare - Don't listen to the people posting unhelpful negative stuff, as my guild did almost the exact same thing. H-AA10 was the 7th boss we downed (10 man groups were working on it on our 25man offnights), we used 3 healers, we used the same positioning (hunters are good for being the "stacking" class since they can quickly disengage out of a lightning quadrant). The only differences:

- We had a warrior tank instead of a druid. I imagine that a druid tank might make it a bit more challenging since you have a couple fewer movement tricks to get out of things in P1.
    - Our Frost DK offtanked the stormlings, while everyone else was stacked up on the tank. He mostly brought them down, and then had our ele shaman help him finish them off when the timing called for it (you might want to have 2 ranged assigned to this duty. Getting people trained on stormling timing was the 2nd major hurdle of learning the fight, after which a kill came quickly).

As for your two major problems:
    1. Lightning - How many of you are using the Baradins Hold resistance trinket? It is a "double lightning get out of jail free card". Also, how many pulls have you done? It takes a few hundred to be really comfortable with P1.
    2. Tank deaths in P2. I suspect this is due to your tank picking up stormlings. If your DK learns to offtank them and use his AMS to mitigate their damage and all that, then your tank can sit in AOE healing along with the rest of the group and be sitting pretty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Anyway with your gear, raid setup and most likely skill level you cant kill this boss.
    That's a very unhelpful attitude to take and I do apologise that not everyone is unable to stomp through 13/13 heroic, and the majority of the raiding community come to this site for some advice. Bashing the skill of myself and my raid group is not constructive and would prefer if you didn't post things like that. People saying we are trying to wrong boss is fair enough, but to outright say we aren't good enough is a different matter.

As for the other 90% of people posting, thanks for the different kinds of advice you have given me. It seems that not enough of our raiders are using the Baradin Hold trinket, which could make a massive difference in the phases, especially our MT. I think we will ask our DK to offtank the stormlings in P2 if that will make the phase a lot easier. Unfortunately with regards to not having enough stack resetters in our raid, that comes with being a closely knit 10 man raiding group. Sure if you raid 25 man each week and step down to 10 to do this fight then you have a whole array of classes to choose from, we however do not.

We will certainly try resetting stacks with HoP but as it isnt a physical debuff i didn't think it would work? But I may be wrong (as i often am )

Oh and Tyrven - The comment about your ex wife actually made my day. I think i'll pass though!

10+ Year Old Account
    4 heal it.

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________