LF Frost mage tutorial

Hey guys, i'm looking for advice on how to beat frost mages.

Here's how the match usually turns out, he opens by rooting me into deep freeze, i trinket that so i don't take too much damage, immediately silencing him and start to get some distance. Then he'll blink and root me again, i'll master's call and kite etc, my health keeps dropping, then he cold snaps or w/e its called and root/deep freeze, ice lance and frost bolt and i'm dead. Help please :<

10+ Year Old Account
    You're having problems killing a mage....

As a hunter?

Try any melee class and see why we hate frost mages
    Triple mage, Triple fun!

High and low rated PvP videos. Intention of being fun and educating (at times)

It is a pretty hard class to fight for hunters but its just as hard a fight for the frost mage. Max pressure from start rapid fire either after he DF you or right after, or you can cast rapid fire to bait him to use DF, to counter it trinket or monkey pet to force him to trinket or keep him from dps while your frozen.

When he blinks towards you afterwards use deterence as a counter quite easy to spot when its gonna happen use the 5sec to get away or trap.

Pressure and control

---------- Post added 2011-06-17 at 11:03 AM ----------

Found this on us forums

I really only play MM, but my strategy against frost mages should be adaptable;

Pop master's call as soon as you open (I also pop rapid fire as soon as I open, with master's call up you'll be getting unfettered access to the mage's face, with my gear I am usually able to force an iceblock in 8-10 seconds), that's the best use for it I've found, otherwise he's just going to open with a deep freeze, which isn't too bad but gives him control of the fight and forces you to waste a cooldown.

Rapid fire as soon as possible as I stated, preferably during MC, don't waste focus on tranq shot, his shield is terrible.

You have 3 answers to deep freeze;
    Monkey Stun
    Trinket
    Roar of sacrifice

Use them.

Make sure you're trapping him as he's face humping you. Scatter his first attempt to deadzone you. If that's down, use deterrence.

Try to save disengage for blink. He shouldn't really be able to get/stay in your deadzone, you simply have too many tools to remove yourself from that area. Make sure you're dropping snake/frost traps, don't waste your time with freezing traps, you'll just be giving him free water ele hits.

Silencing shot/Readiness is overkill against even high rated mages in arena. In general, I'd tell you that MM destroys frost mages moreso than they did in wrath. You should be able to pump so much damage in the first rapid fire that he is forced to ice block. Honestly, the duel shouldn't last long enough for him to wait out your cooldowns.

These thoughts are a bit jumbled, but a fight against a frost mage is not linear, so I tried to list how I might react to each ability seperately.

I'd say glyphed Master's Call immediately > Silence > CS > RF+Readiness > CS > Silence

and using pet with interrupt, e.g. Moth may help as well

anyway I can't beat lock 1v1 so someone can add guide for it as well

10+ Year Old Account
    You have issues with mages as a HUNTER?! You usually blow at least me up within seconds as BM or MM.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Great advice posted already but ill add my two cents

See a mage running toward you with a pet out? Premptive masters call, ruins their freeze->deep freeze opener and puts them off balance immediatly.
    You have more ways to get away from them, then they have to get close to you, i strongly suggest using a spider, as the web gives you yet another way to keep them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    I'd say glyphed Master's Call immediately > Silence > CS > RF+Readiness > CS > Silence

and using pet with interrupt, e.g. Moth may help as well

anyway I can't beat lock 1v1 so someone can add guide for it as well
    Simply put, good locks are our counter class. You just have to hope he is either undergeared or stupid. The key is to NOT let him get a fear off. If you get caugh in a full fear and he starts dotting you up, game over.
    Silence his first cast,
    scatter his first fear
    get your pet on him, feign death the next fear, wait till you see him swap targets to the pet and get back up
    When he deathcoils, dont think, just trinket, most will go for DC into a fear, you NEED to trinket it and silence the fear, pop readiness if you have to.
    You can keep pressure up pretty easy by simply using chimera on CD, as a clothie youll start ripping through his health pretty good, the key is to not let him fear lock you. Then its game over
    Last edited by Tangster; 2011-06-17 at 01:38 PM.
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS

Well it's mainly really good mages that I can't beat, ones that always steal my master's call and know how to use defensive cds when our RF is up, and hugging my like a koala at melee. But thanks for all the advice. I'll try them out as soon as i can^^

All you need to do is get distance for ~3 seconds, then you can blow them up enough to make them go defensive. The best way to do this is:
    Get enough distance that they have to blink to you
    spider root
    disengage
    begin explodeing
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS