Thread: Wow is...fine?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone has to agree on a subject. If someone feels wow sucks then it sucks to him. If you feel wow is great then it's great for you. No need to force everyone to feel the way you do.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Deleted
    WoW is good at what it does and i doubt it will die.

I've played WoW since 2007 and have never once raided or done high end PvP and i regret nothing, i have had great fun in the game levelling alts and messing around with friends, even when ToR comes out i will still be subbed to WoW because it is a great game to spend a few hours adventuring in.

I was playing in vanilla like six years ago or something, I have more interesting things to do now. I could attribute that to nostalgia. However, my friend, who I introduced to WoW when we already had ICC on farm, finds cata boring. I find it hard to attribute that to nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    The epidemic of "omgwowisdying-itis" keeps popping up with shorter and shorter intervals, and I'd like to throw in my two cents.

Is wow dying?

We have more items than ever, and its more suited and yet more diverse than ever. Warriorsets no longer have spirits on them, and hybrids have different gear, for different specs.
    We have more levels than ever and leveling has never been this fun, easy and fast.
    Remember vanilla? Leveling in vanilla was an unsurmountable task, that im sure has taken is toll in form of the lives of many alts.
    We have more instances than ever - and they've never been this diverse.
    There are more bosses than ever, and there are more dungeons than ever. We just had a new patch with new content, and there is another on its way.
    We have more content than ever in form for Pve, pvp, achievementmongering, professions, exploring, moneymaking, etc.
    We have more balance than ever (yes, I said it. Yes, I know about DKs and mages). If it is unbalanced, it will be fixed, and it has been this way for a while. Remember no DRs on stuns? Being locked until dead? Feared until dead? Sheeped for what seemed like 9 minutes?

Why are people asking the impossible from blizzard? Exactly where is it they failed?
    Is it because that once a new raid tier is out, the slightly older is nerfed, so it appeals to a broader segment of the population? Isn't it fair that everyone gets it see it?

The most likely scenario is that if you think wow is dying you've probably just played it too much and you're nostalgic for the days when it was new and interesting, and maybe you should walk away.

Wow is fine. The problem is you and your nostalgia.

That is all

Good day
    Agreed. While I don't play anymore cause I personally got bored, I don't see it dying. Maybe slowing slightly? But by no means dying.

Personally I'm waiting for SWTOR & GW2. They look fun.
    However, WoW will never be killed off by another game. It will die eventually, but it will die by its own terms, once it is done, cold, and alone.

I'm done with WoW, and so are many other people I'm sure.
    That doesn't mean WoW itself is done, she's still strong.

MMO-Champion will live forever.
    LONG LIVE BOUB!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    OP is right, Haters gonna hate, but that is the internet and "community-know-it-better-than-developers" -people who make these "wowisdying" threads.
    Agreed, right on.

If Blizzard thought WoW had much of a future, they'd have invested more in it for this expansion.

The lackluster job they did speaks volumes on where they think the game is going.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    All i demand is a living world like vanilla. Its dead now, atleast in my servers which population is high. PvP, PvE and RP-PvP btw.

And i want to level up while having fun. It isnt fun at all pvping at low levels. Either its me one shoting the target or its him, the one who gets it first wins.

We got more contents, but the world is left behind. What is there to do except dailies and gathering? I so miss the vanilla Gurubashi camping, the Vanilla Southshore pvp, the Vanilla Ashenvale PvP, the Vanilla STV PvP, the world was a PvP zone itself, i miss the elite areas where different groups could explore and gank eachother, i miss the Vanilla PvP near summoning stones. And still there are fans defending the statetement nowadays that PvP should only be a server where you can gank other. No, i want the old world again. WOTLK did have some world pvp, thanks to hunters and fighting near farmable areas, but now i can farm without getting ganked at all. Or, everytime i face world pvp its always a frost mage.

And can i say that i miss the beautifull pvp where the elite ogres standed in Feralas? We got alot of content but the world is dead. I miss the time my guild used to have some events outside alliance areas and alliance actually came and fighted us for hours. Does it happens nowadays? Lol.

All i wish for is a living world again where the world itself was interesting and exploreable "hey lets make a base here where we can ress, drink and prepare while pvping guys" or "hmmm i can stand here behind this tree at Ashenvale and ambush players lol!" and ranks back to the skills so we can avoid one shoting eachother. It starts to feel more and more like Guild Wars, seriously with these instanced areas and the dead world.

Still i like to play this game, my guild plans on dueling tournaemnts and lol pvp in all vs all areas, the guild itself is WoW now. Hopefully this will last long cause im enjoying it. And dont take me wrong- i love Battlegrounds. I love Isle of Conquest, it feels exactly like a world pvp zone but still it gives me chills to feel that theres a big world there left outside.

I dont get the "casual vs hardcore" anyway, its just that i want the world to be more alive so i can enjoy it again with thousands of other players. I still like WoW though.
    Last edited by mmoc664e732ce0; 2011-07-04 at 12:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would tend to agree with you, I find that Wow has actually reached a good point between a casual and hardcore game. Unfortunately though, it is unable to please everyone but hopefully they can still get 80% of players on board with their goal and direction.

I would say that at the start of the expansion everything was tuned fantastically and the heroic dungeons were quite hard in the first week. I unfortunately never got to clear Nefarion and TotFW pre-nerf but the rest of the fights in each raid were fun and challenging and the new firelands bosses are pretty entertaining and interesting.

There has also never been a better time to be a soloist, the new Molten Front dailies have reached that sweet spot where they are actually really fun and further the story as well as encourage the story (as opposed to Argent Tournament). It is good to have a set of dailies that I can go and do without feeling like I'm grinding my way to yet another <Achievement Here!>, making some kind of a differnce (sort of like Isle of Quel'danas). However, the original dailies were a bit meh and I never got around to farming reputation due to this.

The one thing however I would argue isn't fine is class homogonisation, I love World of Warcraft because of its diversity and I feel that the direction it is taking in regards to buff sharing etc is the wrong one. Situations like Sunwell are definitely not wanted, however I feel as if Icecrown was sort of the pinacle of buff sharing - there were enough buffs around that you probably wouldn't go without it, however each class still had that ability that made it attractive to all. In fact, I loved being an Elemental Shaman - I could really push my DPS while also giving everyone kick ass buffs; however now, its much easier to bring another type of class. I do understand that Blizzard want to bring the player and not the class, why not bring the class a little bit though?

Overall, World of Warcraft has matured far beyong the game I started playing 4 years ago but it still has some growing to do. Cataclysm was a bit of a letdown in regards to content but what was delivered was well thought out and balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is fine, it will survive along with any new MMOs that are coming up, no MMO is gonna kill any MMO.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    WoW is fine, it will survive along with any new MMOs that are coming up, no MMO is gonna kill any MMO.
    Which is false. MMO's kill themsleves. Players get the assist, however.

EDIT:

OT: WoW might be "fine" but it still has a few issues that don't sit right with me. Mostly the making everything "easier" or "streamlining" (note: easier isn't refering to raiding really).
    My main gripe is that there's nothing you can do to really change things up with your toons. You can get your specc, glyphs and enchants set up and have a little "personal touch" but every fight will progress the same way almost, with very little variation.

Or... you could take up engineering and get something similar to a small variation (ooh you get to shoot obsidian bolts around) but the idea of professions is that you actually make money after you get it maxed.

Secondary gripe, anything not related to augmenting combat is released rarely or tied to some small % chance occurance or boss drop... or has an cooldown greater than 10 minutes with a duration of about 10 seconds or less to prevent spamming in town -.- (exception being Piccolo's flute or whatever)

Overall the game is fine, but it's turning into something little better than a MUD with multiple dungeon options and a very nice waiting room.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2011-07-04 at 12:26 PM.

While i completely agree with OP that Vanilla "minds" are clouded by nostalgia i still think that raids are designed like shit if you're melee (cataclysm) and the fact that mages overall have the most controll in pvp (frost) and arcane mages have the highest single-target dps in pve with 1-2 buttons to press + cooldowns.
    Yes the game is far from perfect but it's never been better the reason of QQ nowdays is because the flaws of world of warcraft has been getting fewer and fewer thus making those flaws alot more "shiny".

There's LOADS of class balancing to be done, think frost mage vs retri paladin. Yes the game isn't balanced for 1v1 but imo everyone should have a fair chance to kill any opponent if you're dps. If a frost mage wants a retri paladin can NEVER hit him 1v1, there's no way without Avenging Wrath getting a spellsteal protection.
    Enough about pvp since it's more about teamwork and comps than 1v1, btw mages have 16different setups for 3v3 while retribution has 2-3 "balanced" yes?

PvE:
    World of Warcraft: Casterclysm has been the most used name for this expansion in my guild, we're currently on ragnaros and we honestly don't see a reason why we should bring melee, infact it would be alot, ALOT better with only ranged to avoid the 30k melee knockback + sons of flame are insane crap to deal with if you got a melee heavy raid. The only "melee friendly" fight in Firelands is Baleroc and that encounter only favours melee because it's slightly dependant on mobility and ranged lose dps on movement when melee doesn't (much).

Let's look at other Firelands encounters;

Shannox, multidotting favours ranged (again), Riplimb and Rageface runs around like fuckers faster than melee can run after them = low uptime on them = favours ranged, Traps all over the floor also favours ranged because if there's traps in melee you're fucked.

Beth'tilac, slight multidotting, high aoe damage on adds (where ranged all do better than melee), ontop of the web you have beth'tilac alone and whoever does the most damage should go up in most cases ranged deal more singletarget damage than melee + meteors to avoid is easy as ranged.

Majordomo, Scorpion shape forces melee to stack infront of the boss and thus making us have 8% parry chance + block chance on all of our attacks, Fire cat is ok for melee but again favours multidotting, Orbs of fire favours ranged because 2 ranged can stand and rotate alone without loosing dps where if a melee has to soak it then it's 100% dps loss. Majordomo fire cat is slightly worse for ranged because of the leap but it's nothing compared to melee and being parried and blocked during scoripion phase. Seeds are equal for both dps roles though ranged can get back on dps slightly faster.

Lord Ryolith, some think that you need melee to turn him, that's bullshit.. you can just as easily put 2-3 ranged on him and work it like you would with melee. Ranged is slightly favoured again because of multidotting and being able to quickly change targets if needed (between adds and boss). Ontop of that melee gets knockbacked when Ryolith stomps which ranged can avoid completely.

Baleroc is "fair" for both with very slightly favouring melee because of the mobility the encounter demands. Not much to say about that really, the crystal could choose ranged members aswell but then it would be an issue with it hitting healers and again screwing melee up hard.

Alysrazor, while tanks are the true dps monsters on this fight (on hatchlings anyways) the encounter favours ranged if you have interrupts for the adds flying in (shaman). The flying is best done by a ranged since they wont have any downtime from getting out of range (nor should melee but it's alot easier for melee to get in that situation) the buff gives haste, one of the worst throughput stats for melee and one of the best for ranged.

Ragnaros, Favours ranged hugely because of the 30k damage knockback ragnaros does to melee and tanks. Sons of flames are alot easier to dps as ranged that can sit at the hammer and shoot at those that's coming while melee has to run after them (which becomes a HUGE problem in second transition). Meteors are alot easier to kite as a ranged since you still have some form of dps while moving around avoiding to run people over, if you're melee you're often forced out of melee range on the whole encounter with rangaros.

there, that's tier 12.. dont get me started on tier 11.

Deleted
    hehe and this is after they acknowledged that t11 sucked for melee and they would fix it for t12

the only sign I have to judge is that pretty much everybody I know in the game for last 4 years has quit. My entire 25man wotlk guild is gone, theres like 6 of us left, and of those only a couple login with any regularity. I just came back to check out 4.2 after not even wanting to login for 8 weeks (despite still paying sub). I was faced with the prospect of having to clear hyjal 8 times on my alts just to do some dailies.

Wow's development team is too small, the content releases are so damn slow. how much gameplay is in this patch for non raiders? well i can finish my world tree dailies in about 45 minutes, and im back to staring at the screen thinking what now? grind heroics for VP? pathetic... I waited 8 months for this?

Plus its buggy and ill concieved. nerfing trash drops a couple of days in? so people who farmed trash endlessly at the start of the expansion get a clear advantage to people that have a life? hire some damned testers like other game companies do, get this stuff right before you release it. you have the money...

ugh cant wait for swtor and gw2, i've just about had it being milked for my monthly subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    well i can finish my world tree dailies in about 45 minutes, .
    It takes you 45 minutes? Good lord, it takes me like five.

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    I laughed at this. We have less content than ever. Firelands 6 bosses, Ulduar 13 bosses? TBC had twice as many dungeons and raids. World pvp is dead. Everything is boring now. I got bored of cata after 2 months.

And quite simple wow has lost its magic. people only care about getting loot now.
    If it matters, getting shinies in vanilla was vey fun for me.

ot:WoW is not dieing, and even if it is, it's a slow death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    It takes you 45 minutes? Good lord, it takes me like five.
    well i dunno 45 was a guess, im on a 'full' pvp realm so theres alot of ganking and waiting for spawns, theres no way I could do it in 5, but you get my point anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    well i dunno 45 was a guess, im on a 'full' pvp realm so theres alot of ganking and waiting for spawns, theres no way I could do it in 5, but you get my point anyway.
    Gotcha, was just being a dick ;P

Deleted
    damn im gonna gank you in starwars!

Risk vs Reward, WoW no longer has it.

A sense of adventure, WoW no longer has it.

A unique look to your character, WoW has never had this, and something I feel they have had opportunity to correct time and time again, yet haven't. A wardrobe feature (Have stats from one item, but model/look from another), Armor Dyes (would require changing their texture format....or just making palette swaps...which oh btw already exist for most tier sets anyways) Blizz claimed several these would be "too much work", but I don't see how it couldn't be done in it's lifespan (not to mention the billions they've earned to pay for it).

To me, WoW has not improved in the areas that interest me the most, and has gone in directions I don't like. There are no world events anymore (yes, they were laggy, but opening AQ was one of the most memorable events in my MMO gaming lifespan), Gear is reset every expansion as well as gear being purposely nerfed to no longer be viable (ex: Thunderfury's 2nd and 3rd nerfs, the first one was understandable), Raids are still a boring mess of hallways, trash, boss, rinse, repeat (Black Temple and Ulduar strike me as zones that had a few twists that made it less formulaic, though extremely limited ).

As well, I'm not stupid enough to believe that the "good" team is even *thinking* about WoW anymore. They're working on Titan. If you can't see this, then you're blinded by something beyond fanboy status.

Last, ONE BILLION DOLLARS PROFIT PER YEAR and we still get hit up for "premium" content in a SUBSCRIPTION BASED GAME.

@ lilbuddhaman

No more world events? Isn't that pretty much exactly what phasing is? Or deathwing passing by and raping an entire zone? Sure, if you're referring to 1 time events like opening AQ gates or the opening of the dark portal... no. But instead of that we get multiple repeatable and LASTING events all over the game world.

There's just 1 problem with WoW. As with any activity you do for years and years, it just gets less and less special. WoW is the same. I still like and love the game, but i'm not as ' omfg awesome!!11!1 ' about it as I was maybe 2-3 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    @ lilbuddhaman

No more world events? Isn't that pretty much exactly what phasing is? Or deathwing passing by and raping an entire zone? Sure, if you're referring to 1 time events like opening AQ gates or the opening of the dark portal... no. But instead of that we get multiple repeatable and LASTING events all over the game world.

There's just 1 problem with WoW. As with any activity you do for years and years, it just gets less and less special. WoW is the same. I still like and love the game, but i'm not as ' omfg awesome!!11!1 ' about it as I was maybe 2-3 years ago.
    Ehh, I could do without the proliferation of phasing.