Destro Lock Raiding question

I have very little knowledge on loks, and was wondering if you forum loks could give me some insight on something.

I run a 10 man team and the Destro lok I have is convinced his aoe is worthless. So much in fact that that he basically refuses to do it on most fights.

Due to what I have read in the destro thread, your aoe isnt amazing, but it is usefull correct? His general attitude is to nuke the boss, and let everyone else deal with adds. Is your aoe that bad, or do I need to start hunting for a replacement?

Thank you forum loks!

10+ Year Old Account
    It is true our AoE as destro isn't the awesomeness it used to be, but there's always things we can do, like shadowfury to slow some adds. Apart from that i don't thing we can do anything else that would compensate over focusing on bosses. Seed of corruption barely makes any damage now, and rain of fire is only "good" as a demo, imo..

He sounds like the worst kind of player, stubborn and lazy.

Find a replacement. Destro aoe is pretty bad but he should be doing it to help the raid. He can Bane of havoc the boss and aoe adds and get some OK damage out of it. I cant stand people that ignore the aoe adds to keep dpsing the boss.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, our aoe as destro isn't the best. If anything, just shadowfury and rain of fire. I guess if he's close enough to the adds, use shadowflame. This lock you have just sounds lazy. If he's not down to at least help out with adds regardless of how bad the aoe is, then he's not worth the time to bring in. Find a replacement, yo.

Deleted
    Immolate mutlidotting works just fine as long as they live for the majority of it.

lazy lock is lazy...

destro may the weakest aoe of the 3 specs, but that doesn't mean you get a free pass... adds get burned first, then back on target... if he can't take that simple instruction now without throwing a hissy fit, i can't imagine when you get to cho'gall... besides, shadowfury is a potential raid saver on fights like mags...

Deleted
    In 10 man maloriak nhc, the adds are down before rain of fire did more than 2 ticks, so only a shadowfury would make sense, hc you have to do multidoting for the black adds and use rain of fire for the green ones i guess, if u don't have enough other aoe damage.

Magmaw's parasites should be done by a frost dk/ hunter/ something, but not by a destruction lock.

Omnotron adds should be killed by everybody for sure, but that is not an aoe situation.

Atramedes hc imp should be interrupted and killed by the lock, too. ^

Green dragons at the Halfus fight should be attacked, but i don't know if rain of fire or multidotting works better.

For the first wave of cho'gall's old gods blood it is pointless to cast more than a shadowfury at them, if you have more than 1 other ranged dd/ frost dk, but it will be on cd if he uses it for cancelling the worship stuff. When there are 8 or 12 he should help, also by summoning his infernal.

If he doesn't like switching targets, find another one. If he refuses to help with the old gods blood, find another one. If he doesn't like to waste his mana for maloriak nhc adds, he could be right.

He's thinking of it cockeyed. Regardless if his dps is maxed by staying on the boss, throwing up BoH on the boss and doing what little he can to help burn down adds gets the other dps'ers in the raid done with the burning down quicker so that they can all get back on the boss more than makes up for his personal dps loss by switching to help out.

BoH on the boss and aoe is the best bet for him. It is easier for a destro lock to aoe stationary targets such as on Maloriak but that doesn't give him a pass on adds like in cho'gall. If the adds have a large health pool such as on Halfus he can drop his infernal on them. So nut shell is Maloraik maybe, cho'gall and Halfus YES he needs to aoe.

With the exception of demo, warlock aoe is crap. Our spells hit a very low aoe cap that other classes don't have. Put it this way. I do more damage working with two targets than I do in an aoe situation.

If that's the case then you're doing it wrong.

Adding in the ability to hit more targets shouldn't lower your dps

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    With the exception of demo, warlock aoe is crap. Our spells hit a very low aoe cap that other classes don't have. Put it this way. I do more damage working with two targets than I do in an aoe situation.
    False. Our spells have the exact same aoe cap that all the other classes have.

R.I.P. YARG

Thank you for the insight, it does shed some light on the situation for me .

Normal modes this hasnt really given us any issues, but on HM's is where every little bit counts. I need people paying attention and doing what they need to be, not doing what pads the meters for them.

Thanks again!

15+ Year Old Account
    This warlock you have in your 10man is clearly a noob. On every aoe fight apart from Magmaw he shouldnt be playing destruction anyway. That said, destruction AOE really isn't bad. Multidotting with immolate & corruption, using bane of havoc, shadowflame will give you some really decent damage, when theres alot of them and youre far away using rain of fire really Isn't bad. I'll say it again he shouldn't be playing destruction on fights that require his AOE. Demonology has some of the best AOE in the game (if not best), and affliction is really good also.

Replace that guy.