Poll: Microsoft or Apple

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XenuMC View Post
    That is just because your corporate environment is Windows based. Mine is as well, but the Citrix receivers for Mac are absolutely fine, so I don't even need to run Windows on my Mac. If your corporate environment is Apple based though, guess what is better?
    Most aren't Apple based though...

I'd be lying if I said apples are bad machines. They are of very high build quality and perform very well. But they are a minority in the Business world. They serve their purpose sure, but outside of the home they are a rarity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnz View Post
    Over all MAC is just an over priced PC IMHO. The only difference is the OS. You can build the same guts in a PC and a MAC and a MAC will be about $500-$1000 MORE then the PC.
    Yeah, because just the guts is what makes up the total PC right? Come on. I don't really mind that other people are cheap and don't really care what their computer looks like, weighs or how it feels. But I do not mind spending a lot on a tool I use for most of whatever it is I do. I pay extra to get a slim, stylish, long-lasting and good feeling laptop. Too many "PC-users" are only focussed on what's inside.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC for gaming, but for designing with Photoshop and such, Mac.

I dont own a black cultist outfit or a bible with Steve Job's imprint on it, so i'm not allowed to use a Mac.

PC all the effing way.

I'll stick with Microsoft.
    I'm not a huge fan of paying more for hardware I can get cheaper. While Windows isn't exactly cheap either.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Yeah, because just the guts is what makes up the total PC right? Come on. I don't really mind that other people are cheap and don't really care what their computer looks like, weighs or how it feels. But I do not mind spending a lot on a tool I use for most of whatever it is I do. I pay extra to get a slim, stylish, long-lasting and good feeling laptop. Too many "PC-users" are only focussed on what's inside.
    Actually yes, The guts OF the computer is what makes 90% of the PC. If you have crap in it then it is going to be slow. However when I can throw an extra thousand dollars into a PC to get a higher end PC over a MAC then I will up grade the parts inside and my PC is going to FLY over the MAC and why? Because I have superior parts inside. Sure it is nice to have a slim line pc however you are also giving up on parts that can go inside.

If I am going to spend a lot on a tool I use everyday for business and gaming I am going to go with the one that gives me more bang for the buck! So buy a mac for 2k or buy a PC for 2k? I will take the PC for 2k because I know very well that it is going to be very high end and top of the line technology. I however would take the time to goto apple.com and dell.com and build the same pc. The mac will be almost twice the cost. So like I said I would rather dump the extra cash into a PC and get a heck of a lot more power for the buck, however this thread is about OS and Windows not what it under the hood.

Windows for gaming, various linux distributions for work depending on the task.

Dont really see usage for a Mac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    As long as this remains civil (i.e. if you want to attack someone because they don't like your favorite OS, the thread closure will be blamed on you.) it will remain open. So far it's been very good.
    Keep this in mind if you feel like going totaly /nerdrage in this thread. Its not made for people to flame others opinions .. its made for discusion/small talk about OS and what you like about your OS.

Deleted
    I prefer windows simply because i'm not prepared to give away insane amount of money for lower specs on a laptop.

Deleted
    I cant say I like apple, to dumbed down/overpriced IMHO

they look nice though .... but if I wanted an overpriced awesome looking pc/laptop I would buy an Alienware laptop

so I vote Microsoft *missing Linux option*

I like OSX a lot better than Windows, but realistically, a lot of gaming companies simply don't make their products for Macs. Well, Valve makes all their stuff on Macs now and WoW is there too, so what else do I really need? I ran a bootcamp partition with XP for a very long time to run the handful of other games I can't play in OSX or on my PS3, but Steam moving to OSX has changed stuff a lot and will keep getting better.

As far as anything other than gaming, I'd much rather use OSX. It has completely different functionality than XP or 7 and it suits my individual needs and work methods a lot better than Windows. That's what the difference in OSs sort of boils down to, doesn't it?

That being said, if the Hackintosh technology was a little bit better, I'd probably prefer to build my own computer and run OSX on it. Then again, maybe not - Apple's customer service is phenomenal. People hype it up a lot, but I can talk from experience. The harddrive in my iMac crashed on a Tuesday. I called them Tuesday night and they sent a technician TO MY HOUSE on Thursday to install a brand new harddrive, absolutely free.

Deleted
    Voted for Microsoft, because Mac OS sucks... Commenting on Macintosh computers is kind of redundant because for couple of years now because they don't have their own HW anymore...

However iPhone 4 is great, the previous ones weren't awesome though but with iP4 Apple really picked up the ball and made something awesome.

I'd be curious to know how many people have actually OWNED both Macs and PC's versus just randomly using the other.

My bet is that most Mac users have owned their own Windows PC as well whereas most PC users have not owned their own Macs. Opinions on this sort of thing aren't really that educated when one isn't equally experienced in both platforms.

I have owned G3's, G4's, G5's, Intel's (Macs) and 95's, 2000's, ME's, XP's, Vista's, and 7's (PC's). Various laptops and desktops of both. Both have their value and are good for things and not so good for others. I don't hate Microsoft b/c I prefer Macs. As a matter of fact, I am grateful to Microsoft for giving me such a shitty experience with one of my computers I had just purchased which led to me switching to Macs being my main computers.

What else is there then? Sure there's the Resource Management the OS has to deal with and the applications I run will hopefully run without too many issues but I could walk around with a PC strapped inside a Cardboard Box and as long as it worked I'd be happy. When I look for a new computer the inside of the system and the warranty, in the case of laptops portability/weight as well, is always priority everything else comes after that. If all I care about was appearances I have a pile of dog crap in my back yard I could wrap up all nice and pretty that will last as long if not longer than any computer out right now. :P

That said M$ for sure, I build my own PC's and the last Mac I attempted to work with I didn't last more than 3 days, though that may have been the OS I was using might not be so bad if I gave them another shot.

I really like the mac UI. I switched to a mac for about a year, but in that year i discovered wow and wanted to play with more than 20 FPS. So I switched back to a PC. Macs are a lot more reliable, but just not the platform for gaming. Mac for work, Pc for gaming.

Have you ever rode a bike with training wheels, and its kinda hard to turn and stuff but it will never fall down, well thats what a apple computer feels like to me, may be fast and may never fail, but omg is does not do what i need it to do. Microsoft feels more free, u can fall and scrape ur knee but its the freedom that makes it great.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft.

I built my own computer, however am not good with the code stuff, so Apple is obviously out of the question pretty much and I'm terrified of Linux. :P

22 in 4 days. >_>

(Best be careful with these threads.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    25 ...Microsoft Windows 2003, 2008 and 7 admin (part of my daily job):

I voted Apple ...while i agree that Macs are not entirely virus proof, that they suck for gaming and they are expensive ...believe me, once you know what's inside a Windows machine, you never want one for your personal life ...no matter what you say, Macs are more reliable, durable and secure ...Linux ...a whole new story.

Note: I wish i could put Mac OS X on a built-up machine without needing complicated crackings and weird driver patching.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna have to go with Mac. I'm more of an art guy ^-^ Plus I love the portability of my iMac.
    Last edited by Patthecat; 2011-06-28 at 04:42 PM.
    Pet me, ~Meow! [Cat/Wolf Hybrid]

15+ Year Old Account
    A PC can be stylish, and long lasting. Not to mention it doesn't have to weigh much.

Overall, if you are willing to spend a lot more money for the same package(Granted it's in a prettier box), well, to each his own.