Deleted

Demonology Lock Goes Dual Spec - Destro/Afflic?

Hi, I have a level 29 demonology warlock as my main toon (yup, I'm still new to WoW!) At the moment I only do PvE, but I like to keep my options open in case I try battlegrounds at some point.

I want to dual spec, but can't decide whether to choose affliction or destruction as my secondary spec. The thing is, I'm not a natural gameplayer, so I'm not very good! I like to keep things as simple as possible for myself while I learn the ropes, and so far I am loving demonology (especially my felguard!) Demonology seems to be good for staying alive, so that's why I chose it!

I thought about being a single-spec demo lock, but I would like to try new things, hence the dual spec. I enjoy being a dps, so the whizz bang of destruction looks fun, but I've been told it's a serious mana-drainer, and I have trouble keeping an eye on levels while fighting. I know affliction locks are popular because of their debuffs, and one person told me to pick affliction because it does high dps, and would help me if I decide to try PvP at some stage. The only thing I worry about, though, is the DoT spells mean I'm stuck fighting for longer, and like I say, I'm not very good at playing games!

Basically, I'd like to know what your thoughts are, bearing in mind that this is my first 'proper' go at gaming - I don't want to make things more difficult for myself!

So.....demo/destro or demo/afflic? I await your opinion!

)O(Rosa)O(

Hi Rosa!
    Glad to see you're enjoying your warlock. Try affliction as your off-spec and continue doing what you know with demonology for questing. Learning affliction on your way to level 85 will give you some experience and know-how to go into either pvp or pve once you get to max level. Afflic is strong for either of those routes, and the self-healing is a nice bonus to questing as well. Just dot up a mob and run to the next one to dot up. The old one will usually be dead as you're dotting the next victim. Have fun!

I did the same thing on my lock (it wasn't my main but no leveling gear etc, and my first warlock!) I leveled as demo but as in everything I grew tired of it after sometime. With my dual spec I went destro lock and with it using the felhunter pet. You can dash out loads of damage and some handy things come in such as shadowburn if you want soulstones back etc. Made leveling really easy for me Enjoy your lock!

I say Demo/Afflic but I'm biased since I'm Afflic/Demo.

If you go Destro you'll never want to go back :P Soulfire at lvl 20 . Use that with an instant soul burn + soulfire and everything will just die . Plus conflagrate is so awesome

Deleted
    I went for destruction as my second spec tonight. Having trouble to start with, but I shall persevere! If I really have problems, I may switch to affliction as my second spec.

Thanks for the help!

)O( Rosa )O(

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind View Post
    Hi, I have a level 29 demonology warlock as my main toon (yup, I'm still new to WoW!) At the moment I only do PvE, but I like to keep my options open in case I try battlegrounds at some point.

I want to dual spec, but can't decide whether to choose affliction or destruction as my secondary spec. The thing is, I'm not a natural gameplayer, so I'm not very good! I like to keep things as simple as possible for myself while I learn the ropes, and so far I am loving demonology (especially my felguard!) Demonology seems to be good for staying alive, so that's why I chose it!

I thought about being a single-spec demo lock, but I would like to try new things, hence the dual spec. I enjoy being a dps, so the whizz bang of destruction looks fun, but I've been told it's a serious mana-drainer, and I have trouble keeping an eye on levels while fighting. I know affliction locks are popular because of their debuffs, and one person told me to pick affliction because it does high dps, and would help me if I decide to try PvP at some stage. The only thing I worry about, though, is the DoT spells mean I'm stuck fighting for longer, and like I say, I'm not very good at playing games!

Basically, I'd like to know what your thoughts are, bearing in mind that this is my first 'proper' go at gaming - I don't want to make things more difficult for myself!

So.....demo/destro or demo/afflic? I await your opinion!

)O(Rosa)O(
    I can't tell you how happy I am to see someone who is brand new to the game and WANTS to learn the ropes etc. Makes me still have hope for this game! I'd def try affliction. But at low levels, a lot of warlock talents share the same abilities. It isn't until mid 40s early 50s the specs distinguish themselves. Personally my warlock is destruction, I find it so fun! Best of luck!

Welcome, Rosa. I would recommend giving each spec the ole' college try, now and once you get to high levels. The way they play differs at 85 in comparison to lvl 30 ish. Personally, I use demo/afflic, as they seem to have less of a decrease in damage in high-mobility situations, such as questing and many raid encounters. Demo has stronger AoE, while Affliction has stronger single target and self-healing. This is simply my opinion from my experience, and it'll ultimately come down to playing whatever you enjoy most, though, so definitely give each spec a shot and see how you like them. Happy hunting =)
    Last edited by Nevermourne; 2011-07-04 at 03:57 AM.

Deleted
    I'm so indecisive! I've gone back to demo/destro, as I had only 5% or less dps in instances, which, basically, is crap. Getting better at destro - slowly!

)O(Rosa)O(
    Last edited by mmoc573695a9d9; 2011-07-10 at 05:01 AM.