Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Bear 4.2 - Your experience

Hey guys. Lets see how bears are doing after this patch:

My Experience comes mostly from trash runs

Damage Taken

I take noticeably less damage now. I feel like I'm taking much less damage than DK and considerably less damage than war and pally tanks. I asked healers to be sure and responses I got was either "can't say" or "you're easier to heal". Still I need to run with tanks that I know to be sure about this.

Damage Done

Lacerate is great now. It does pretty good damage. Thrash and mangle are hitting way lower than before, specially mangle. Thrash doesn't worth using over lacerate anymore. I used to keep it on CD, no matter what, but now I only use it on AoE situations. Mangle is critting for 70% of what it used to for me. I barely see 30K+ crits with mangle now.

Threat

I AM A THREAT WHORE. No other tank can keep up. Whenever another tank taunts off a mob of me I can get the mob back in less than 5 seconds by just DPSing. It's fun embarrassing other people =)

So how are you guys doing so far?
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-07-05 at 04:11 PM.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

I would say that I am honestly happy about the changes. My threat is increased for sure, and my damage done is also higher. As far as damage taken, its hard to say really, i feel like i'm taking less but I don't want to say until I can get into some more boss encounters. Had a few raiders miss the first two raid days and couldn't get some real attempts in. I will get to find out more tomorrow.

Thrash is still better than Lacerate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solo tanking Baleroc with 2.2mil HP, doing 125K dps on Alysrazor, beating Majordomo's scorpion to death.............

Taking less damage doing more damage

Whats not to love about bear tanking so far
    Victoria Aut Mors

I guess i'm the only one whos having a hard time then by the sounds of it? I've done 1 raid since the patch and a few dungeons. In HC's i'm being tested left right and centre to keep threat, people in 346 gear were beginning to pull mobs off me in AOE situations, single target was fine but i also noticed a huge drop in mangle damage.

Raid wise, single target, i'm fine. I did notice that i took a little less damage than my Paladin OT, but when it came to AOE packs, i literally had to Zerk or tab taunt mobs to pull them off him. I've changed nothing in my rotation from our last raid and he used to have to do the same for me. I'd sooner them take swipe back to 6 seconds and stop making it hit like a wet noodle.

Maybe its just me then?

15+ Year Old Account
    I was just about to make a thread about Bear Tanking as I can't find any guides to it. If anyone could link a recent guide would be lovely. x

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond View Post
    Raid wise, single target, i'm fine. I did notice that i took a little less damage than my Paladin OT, but when it came to AOE packs, i literally had to Zerk or tab taunt mobs to pull them off him. I've changed nothing in my rotation from our last raid and he used to have to do the same for me. I'd sooner them take swipe back to 6 seconds and stop making it hit like a wet noodle.

Maybe its just me then?
    I have noticed this myself. Our Single Target threat is insane, but our AoE threat is total garbage. I have personally done a bunch of trash farms, where i can go in first on the scorpion packs (i focus on the big one), throw down a Thrash / Swipe and possibly another thrash / swipe, and the paladin I was with could come in 10 seconds later, and rip all the small ones off of me with what seemed like no effort at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkoeu View Post
    I was just about to make a thread about Bear Tanking as I can't find any guides to it. If anyone could link a recent guide would be lovely. x
    Guides are in the stickies!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Bear-Guide-4.1

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I have noticed this myself. Our Single Target threat is insane, but our AoE threat is total garbage. I have personally done a bunch of trash farms, where i can go in first on the scorpion packs (i focus on the big one), throw down a Thrash / Swipe and possibly another thrash / swipe, and the paladin I was with could come in 10 seconds later, and rip all the small ones off of me with what seemed like no effort at all.
    I didn't notice this with War or DK, and the only pally I tanked the trash along side. I'll try to find another pally for my next trash run to compare.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uzumati View Post
    Taking less damage doing more damage

Whats not to love about bear tanking so far
    This pretty much sums up my feelings.

How are you doing more damage when all bear abilities were nerfed?

Doing less damage, and damage taken difference is unnoticeable.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    How are you doing more damage when all bear abilities were nerfed?
    1- The nerf was a scaling nerf. They increased the fixed proportion of our abilities and decreased the multipliers we get from weapon damage.
    2- I believe these people are comparing themselves to other tanks and not how much they were doing pre-patch.

just a question about doing dmg as bear: do you guys use maul whenever its off CD?

i do that for bosses mostly (macro'd into mangle) but dont use it for trash. trash dmg is more than fine and survivabilty is awesome right now... until our SI gets nerfed to 15% for real this time D:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    just a question about doing dmg as bear: do you guys use maul whenever its off CD?

i do that for bosses mostly (macro'd into mangle) but dont use it for trash. trash dmg is more than fine and survivabilty is awesome right now... until our SI gets nerfed to 15% for real this time D:
    I keep it on CD unless I'm rage starved. It's off GCD which means its some extra dps without anything to sacrifice but rage.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    good bears will be good, not so good bears may struggle;p bears is awesome now tho bryn... MEATSHIELD ftw
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

I'm taking noticeably less damage at all levels of content. Only ilevel 357, but now back in Zand dungeons I have healers finishing several fights at FM unlike previously where only the stupid totem boss that'd happen on in ZA.

Single target threat is still pretty loopy, though I may have been running with some inexperienced tanks compared to my normal raiding DK. Damage is less though, but not as bad as I was expecting but I only have a 353 weapon.

AOE threat seems decidedly less than pre-patch at least in raids: did ok in the ZG's I ran this week on the AE packs. FL trash run I did was pretty ugly.

Overall I think bears are in a better state than we were before, and I never thought bears sucked pre-patch either. Good times.

Was bored and tanked a couple of troll dungeons, and I've definitely found it to be significantly easier. Taking a lot less damage, no trouble with threat, putting out some serious hurt myself. Before 4.2 I had resigned myself to only tanking on my DK, but now I'm leaning towards my druid.

Deleted
    I enjoy it lol