Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's nothing wrong with undercutting. WoW is an open market and you are free to list items for whatever price you want. If someone chooses to grossly undercut then it gives others the opportunity to buy them out and relist for more.

Undercutting by like 1c is just common sense, you have the cheaper item you have the faster sales.

The only issue I have is AH campers that relist items like every 5 minutes.

In a competitive market, being undercut by 1c is a good thing. Why? Because that means theres more money to be made if you relist under his/her auction for 1c too.

Think about it like this.

You list a gem for 100g
    he lists for 99.99.99
    you list for 99.99.98
    someone buys.
    you made 99.99.98.

Where if they didnt undercut by 1c, this would happen

You list a gem for 100g
    they list for 75.00.00
    you list for 70g
    someone buys
    you made 70g.

i wish MORE people on my server would undercut by 1c, undercutting by anymore damages the profits of all involved. If you undercut by 5-10%, your causing yourself and everyone else selling that item to make 5-10% less profit.

Deleted
    I don't sell much on the AH so i don't really have to deal with being undercut that much. With that being said, if i see someone who is undercutting by a pathetically small amount, i usually just buy the more expensive one.

1c or GTFO.

No way i'm losing money by undercutting things for like the 30% of their price. I don't make huge loads of money, i get like 2-3k a week. But i play AH only one day.

Undercutting is needed only for being the first on the list. Then there is posting AH at the right times.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by tyggyr View Post
    Undercutting is a fact of life.

It's the economy, stupid.
    Word. [10chars]

anyone undercutting by more than 1 copper is loosing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
    Undercutting by anything over 1g generally kills the market for something (at least for a short time). If I undercut someone by 1c, then I am getting the most I can out of the item and the person who comes along and undercuts me can also get more out of the same item.

If people are undercutting by 10g or so, then eventually you get from cut red gems selling for 200g (just an example, haven't actually checked the gem market recently) down to 100g in no time and then it becomes almost pointless to bother trying to sell one. Simply put, I would much rather be undercut by 1c than by 100g, 10g, or even 1g.
    This is my logic, and there has been countless times of Trade rage over putting something in the AH and 15 minutes later they'll be someone undercutting me by 15g or more of an initial 200g post.

Anyone undercutting by more than 1 copper is sacrificing potential money in the interest of faster sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Industry View Post
    This is my logic, and there has been countless times of Trade rage over putting something in the AH and 15 minutes later they'll be someone undercutting me by 15g or more of an initial 200g post.
    What about when someone overprices? Say, you see an enchant that traditionally had been selling for about 2k, and someone reposts for 6k? I'm not going to try to sell at that, I'll put mine in at 2k, and it'll sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Toast View Post
    i undercut all the time, idgaf.

i'm trying to make gold just like all the other people listing items for sale. not make friends.

:3

What makes this really funny is your avatar. ^_^
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What about when someone overprices? Say, you see an enchant that traditionally had been selling for about 2k, and someone reposts for 6k? I'm not going to try to sell at that, I'll put mine in at 2k, and it'll sell.
    I see what you mean, but items like that typically aren't going to raise in price unless Enchanting mats are high priced that week. I mean things like gems, materials, leg enchants, etc.

Like when I wake up in the morning and a Volatile life is like 26g per, I post 20 or so at 25.99.99 and go to work. I come back home to see that like 2 of them have sold and they've been undercut down to like 13g per. That's annoying that people have no patience and have to make a low amount of money as quickly as possible and cause me to lose out on a lot of profit.

undercutting is a common business practice that is as old as the humanity itself. this is why you get addons such as auctionator that come with built in tools to help you check for undercuts on your items. also if you are being undercut all the time try listing your items for 12 or 24 hours that way you are not wasting your AH fees. if you cant beat them, join them. try listing your items during the peak hours (more of a chance for it to be sold quickly) or try selling in trade (hella annoying). The Cross Faction ah is also an option (lol)

Like when I wake up in the morning and a Volatile life is like 26g per, I post 20 or so at 25.99.99 and go to work. I come back home to see that like 2 of them have sold and they've been undercut down to like 13g per.
    Maybe that was just a hypothetical, but 26g per VL is insanely overpriced for how widely available that material is. You shouldn't expect such a high markup to last long.

I only ever by VL for 2g or less.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many people on my server used to kick themselves in the balls so many times with regard to making money. I'd post something at, say 200g, someone would undercut at 120g.

It didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, most of the time if it was just one or two items, I'd buy them and make an instant 80g profit.

I think where a lot of people go wrong, and this holds true in the real world as well, is that they are impatient, they want their money NOW, and aren't willing to wait for it. This is where they lose out.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Maybe that was just a hypothetical, but 26g per VL is insanely overpriced for how widely available that material is. You shouldn't expect such a high markup to last long.

I only ever by VL for 2g or less.
    Well I guess that's a server difference. Last week I sold a stack of VL for like 3500g. So somewhere around 17-18g.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    So many people on my server used to kick themselves in the balls so many times with regard to making money. I'd post something at, say 200g, someone would undercut at 120g. It didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, most of the time if it was just one or two items, I'd buy them and make an instant 80g profit. I think where a lot of people go wrong, and this holds true in the real world as well, is that they are impatient, they want their money NOW, and aren't willing to wait for it. This is where they lose out.
    No you are going wrong =) There's many people like me, who have friends to help them out. Me and my friends help eachother out and buy raw mats when they are cheap at AH. They craft what they need, I buy stuff I need very cheap from them and we all profit. This means I get a constant refill with mats that I need to get rid of, and that's why I manage to still profit while undercutting by quite a lot. I don't have limitid supply like you, and therefor while you hold on waiting for better days I sell all the time (except for when Im doing other stuff, then other people can have the market for a while, that is.. when it's not peak hours and people just buy a thing or two:P ) I understand you would like the beauty of everyone wanting to gain as much profit as possible, but many people sell a lot of stuff and by selling a lot for a wee bit of profit gives them a big profit fast at the end. Maybe not the most fun thing to hear, right?=)

@Industry: Entirely possible. Out of curiosity what do the other volatiles go for on your realm? Is Transmute Living Elements still profitable?

Deleted
    undercutting on stuff that is 100g< is really dumb.

the goal of the AH game is to make more money than some one ells, so being cheaper than the other guy is a bad thing.
    and hey it is not like your stuff wont get soled if there is only 1g a difference between you and the cheapest seller.

but hey my server is full of retards who pay 50 g for a stack of fine thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ico View Post
    undercutting on stuff that is 100g< is really dumb. the goal of the AH game is to make more money than some one ells, so being cheaper than the other guy is a bad thing. and hey it is not like your stuff wont get soled if there is only 1g a difference between you and the cheapest seller. but hey my server is full of retards who pay 50 g for a stack of fine thread.
    you know, my friend, I tried that. When items are expensive I occasionally just undercut by some silver or a gold and hope that my competition will lay back and let me sell my items. But you know what? In reality it doesn't work. Because, my friend, as soon as I do that it just takes a minute and they undercut me by a silver and other people follow. What does this lead to? Well, my friend, you know that I want to sell my stuff cause I got so much of it. This leads me to nothing but undercutting enough to make it so less profitable for them to sell and still profitable to me. I actually enjoy selling stuff, and especially at peak hours so many people buy from me. Tell me now, my friend, can't you see why I'm doing what I'm doing and agree that it's actually best thing to do? Cause at the end, even if it takes some minutes more.. the undercutting race will get down to my price level anyway... why not spare them the time and do the job fast? Saves them the fee of putting up their stuff at AH as well. It's a win win, no?=)

Deleted
    @tea hmm soz i wasn't very clear in my previous post .... i was talking about mats (ore cloth and herbs)

if the cheapest is 40 g you put your stuff in for 42 g and put them there for 2 days they will buy all the stuff from the other guy cheaper and then buy your stuff for even more g

ofc there will be people who undercut you , but unless the AH price inflates dramatic you will still walk away whit a nice profit