View Poll Results: Spanking child? Discipline or abuse?

Voters
696. This poll is closed
  • Discipline

549 78.88%
  • Abuse

112 16.09%
  • Not sure/decided

35 5.03%
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    We are turning into a right care bear society aren’t we, England is going that way too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some children don't have the mental comprehension to under stand talking to, thus spanking. REMEMBER spanking != hitting or "physical assault"
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

I don`t agree with hitting a child, I`m only 18 but I was hit when I was a kid if I was bad, not with objects or anything ever serious.. but I can tell you, and anyone else who has, that getting hit or spanked or hurt will convince you a lot more not to do something. like it was always for me "be good" from my mom or she`d tell my dad, sort of thing and that`d suck.

if you're an uncaring parent though, if you don't teach your kid while they're growing up to sit in the corner on a chair every time they misbehave, and do things like that they will never learn and you'll be forced to feel like you have to hit them... but there are ways today to prevent it, and because of that and having it done to myself I'd say that this is a bit harsh, but you should never hit a kid regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Some kids need a good spanking. Telling a 5-year-old that something is wrong won't quite translate as well as giving them a nice, hard spanking.

Hell, my dad used a belt when I was younger. And I've had red hand prints on my back from when he missed. I'm not gonna go ahead and say what he did was "right" or what I'd do when I have kids, but I dealt with it and came out alright.
    This. I think I turned out better for the discipline I received.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    We are turning into a right care bear society aren’t we, England is going that way too.
    If carebear society means we no longer tollerate the physical abuse of children then thats fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle8 View Post
    So i'm gonna get probation for smacking my girlfriends ass last night? shit..
    If your girlfriend is 2!

Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    If carebear society means we no longer tollerate the physical abuse of children then thats fine by me.
    Spanking =/= Physical Abuse.

There are exceptions, but I think the biggest problem is that everyone here is saying Pain = Abuse.

No, just no.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

America... the land of the best - and worst - of everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    America... the land of the best - and worst - of everything.

sooooo much this ^.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Quote Originally Posted by Tsimp View Post
    This. I think I turned out better for the discipline I received.
    Same, My Nan smacked me with a ruler when i was 6 because i drew on her new wallpaper, tell you what i never did that again. If she just told me off i would have done it again for the attention.

Its funny because half the people responding to this topic probably do not even discipline their children and let them run rampart. A smack on a 2 year old might seem harsh but i have seen two year old children bite their parents and the only way to counter that is to bite them back so they understand how much it hurts.

Now this may seem harsh but if it the child was let to run rampart you would probably diagnose him with ADHD because its easier.

Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    A light tap on the hand/wrist/bum is hardly physical abuse.

That's just ridiculous. Explains why kids these days just are more out of control than I ever remember. Hell, I remember having to cut my own switches from the woods and then being spanked with them...

Deleted
    I was never touched by my parents in any kind of physically damaging sense, and I turned out just fine and that is the sole reason behind me saying that spanking or otherwise physically hurting a child is needless.

that being said, any other type of institution that teaches discipline does not do so by means of violence (army, as an example), but through the use of punishments. punishments do not have to be physical.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-07-08 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Teaching them discipline through violence just goes against everything morally right. You teach kids how to behave by talking to them, not beating them. Fucking cave men in this thread.
    No it doesn't. Knowing what is going to happen to you when you do things like that again and NOT doing it seems like good discipline to me.

Actually...wait. How old are you and how many kids do you have?

And this is why I've been sniped at 22 years old the world is just to stupid right now for me to bother bringing another life into it just to hope that its a smart behaved kid that I never have to do more then talk to. I grew up in a house where my parents never did the ill cout to 3 that my friends parents did and I'm happy it was that way.

thats retarded. disciplining your children with spanking is fine IMO, it never did me any harm and there's many kids in the UK that could've really done with it.

however, in the case of the OP, it looks like the grandmother who has custody of her daughters children, most likely because she is an unfit mother(?) has used the opportunity to drag her name through the mud, probably over some personal vendetta or "life lesson".

spanking != hitting - spanking is used to discipline, hitting your children is just abuse. i know people that have been spanked, paddled, lashed with a belt and more, they are all upstanding members of a large community now. however, a lot of the kids that have grown up with no discipline and parents that would never spank, are the MOST UNRULY little fuckers i've ever met.

discipline = good
    abuse = bad

Having to resort to physically assaulting a child is nothing less than a pathetic admision that you have been mentaly defeated by them. If you haven't the mental capacity/intelligence to be able to moderate a childs behaviour by words and deeds you shouldn't have been allowed to reproduce in the first place.

If one of my employees stepped out of line and really annoyed me, would I be entitles to punch them in the face so long as I didnt leave bruises?

Hitting a two-year-old baby IS chile abuse. END OF STORY.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Teaching them discipline through violence just goes against everything morally right. You teach kids how to behave by talking to them, not beating them. Fucking cave men in this thread.
    It's a fairly new mentality that spanking kids is somehow child abuse. As far as I remember even in the old Rugrats show spanking or talk of spanking was mentioned. When I was a kid the threat of belts was there I was always good though so..

Anyway we're far too sensitive these days. People are trying more and more to deny that we are animals and animals have instincts. Someone tries to harass your friend, you kick their ass.. er you talk it out and ask them to say sorry or you'll be issuing a lawsuit.

I'm not even saying I'd win any fights, I'm far from "tough" but spanking isn't domestic violence, it's a very controlled way of discipline that like anything else people can and do take too far.

As was said earlier.. kids who never have to deal with hardships will just grow up to be spoiled. Even experiencing anything emotional in childrens programming has been taken out. We used to have shows that openly mentioned parents divorcing, arguing, orphans, immigrants, bullying, love, hate.. all in one show (Hey Arnold )

These days kids shows are literally screaming animals, food puns and pet farts (Chowder).

<snip>

She did not bruise her daughter, she didn't injure her at all, she didn't use anything but her hand. Children can and will be out of control and sometimes the simplest way to discipline is a slap on the ass. It does not traumatize them, it teaches them who's in charge, because honestly, that's what kids these days do not seem to realize and that's why we see stories like the 14 year old stabbing the mother in Australia.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-07-08 at 05:55 PM.