Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    get on newegg and build your own, you'll save a lot of money and maybe even come out with a beter build =D

Quote Originally Posted by the1skate View Post
    Good for you.
    Some people without experience might not want to risk spending $100-$150 on a mother board, $150-$300 on a video card, or $200 on ram just to fry it.
    Thats why you do about 10 minutes of research or ask on forums such as these "GASP". Building a computer from a site such as newegg is no harder than putting a lego set together. The hardest part is putting thermal paste on and even thats not hard. There are so many step by step guides on the internet that you literally have to be braindead to screw it up. Its fun, its easy, and most times it costs less to put together and build yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetuss View Post
    Get on Newegg and build your own, you'll save a lot of money and maybe even come out with a beter build.
    If he's not comfortable building one, that's chill.
    http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer...n_E710/w/75015
    Boom. Alienware-esq case, way underbudget. Get a new heatsink from Newegg or something, or just chillax with the stock.

Alienware is almost identical to the idea of apple. They overprice because they can. You can build comps for cheaper that will, for lack of a better word, poop all over this or other similar builds. From my experience, any computer that has one of its main tech features being what color it glows is kind of crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just for the sake of clarity as to how severe this is, I went into the configurer. Going from 8GB of 1333hz memory to 16gb of 1600 hz memory is roughly $1000 USD. Thats not remotely worth it. In fact, that's nearly a 1000% price increase.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231309
    That can't be proper business ethics.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Just for the sake of clarity as to how severe this is, I went into the configurer. Going from 8GB of 1333hz memory to 16gb of 1600 hz memory is roughly $1000 USD. Thats not remotely worth it. In fact, that's nearly a 1000% price increase.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231309
    That can't be proper business ethics.
    But it's so hard to put RAM in! XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently talking to the manager of the Alienware Tech Support Division about the brand of RAM they use for the Aurora line... They don't know.

00:00:04 Arjay_Espejo can you give an example of the data you needed, Michael?
    00:00:36 Michael Tigges The brand and model number of the RAM you use within the Alienware Aurora for 1600 16GB Ram
    00:01:49 Arjay_Espejo let me just check if we have that info here. Please give me 2-3 minutes on this. Thank you.
    00:01:57 Michael Tigges No problem at all.
    00:06:25 Arjay_Espejo Thank you for patiently waiting.
    00:06:34 Michael Tigges Yep.
    00:06:55 Arjay_Espejo i'm sorry but we don't have the info for that since every components we have are especially made for Dell.
    00:07:07 Michael Tigges Excuse me?
    00:07:29 Michael Tigges I have a Dell next to me and I have a list of all the components... :S
    00:08:10 Michael Tigges Could I please speak to your manager, if it's not too much of an inconvienence?
    00:09:25 Arjay_Espejo sure thing.
    00:10:06 Michael Tigges Thank you very much Arjay.
    00:11:15 Arjay_Espejo Please give me 2-3 minutes on this. Thank you.
    00:11:46 Michael Tigges No problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuzzy, I love you, I fucking love you.

If I ever go gay... LOOK OUT.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part two.
    00:11:46 Michael Tigges No problem.
    00:15:35 Arjay_Espejo Thank you for patiently waiting.
    00:15:40 Michael Tigges No problem at all,.
    00:16:25 Arjay_Espejo i have talked to my manager and he's engage with other customers as well, however, he suggest me to offer you a callback if you like.
    00:16:50 Michael Tigges I do not have a phone at the current time, so a literal callback would be impossible. I'd welcome an email or something of the sort, however.
    00:17:52 Michael Tigges I mean, I'm looking at NewEgg right now, and a 16GB 1.5V 4GBx4 RAM kit is $170 max. I strongly think that the prices may be labeled wrong.
    00:17:55 Michael Tigges http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...00 (PC3 12800)
    00:17:59 Michael Tigges for a frame of reference.
    00:18:15 Arjay_Espejo i see.
    00:21:37 Michael Tigges It seems that the manufacturer for your RAM may be Nanya Technology
    00:21:51 Michael Tigges Or at least the RAM on my personal computer purchased from Dell.
    00:22:00 Michael Tigges Do you know if they use the same RAM? =/
    00:22:03 Arjay_Espejo i'm sorry but i don't have info about that. perhaps, that is.
    00:22:10 Arjay_Espejo really sorry for that, Michael.
    00:23:04 Michael Tigges Is there ANY way this is an error in pricing, as well?
    00:23:15 Michael Tigges I mean, it doesn't look that good if you don't know whats in your own computers, you know?
    00:24:04 Michael Tigges Also, I realize that you're a simple customer support agent, and I sincerly apologize if you're new to this, or you've been working for eight hours, or the air conditioner is broken. I'm not here to make your job hard, just trying to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.
    00:24:12 Michael Tigges <3
    00:25:10 Arjay_Espejo we only have info about our Processors, video card, etc. but the basic components like memory, hard drive.
    00:25:36 Michael Tigges Why such limited info?
    00:25:37 Arjay_Espejo i understand, Michael. i was once a customer so i know how to be in your shoes.
    00:26:06 Michael Tigges I believe Hitachi manufactures your hard drives.
    00:27:02 Michael Tigges I'm going to leave you alone now. I really hope I didn't waste any of your time, and if you can do anything about this, please do it. If you have any forms of review for your support, I'll be more than happy to give you a stellar review.
    Somehow, this post is too short.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh... I have more reasons to avoid Dell now. =S
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part three.
    00:28:55 Arjay_Espejo sure thing. i'm trying to get any info i can. can i have your email address?
    00:29:22 Michael Tigges 44jmna@gmail.com
    Feel free to contact me any time, I regularly check it.
    00:29:45 Arjay_Espejo noted. i'm sorry, Michael.
    00:29:50 Arjay_Espejo i also felt that i wasted your time.
    00:29:56 Michael Tigges It's really no problem. And don't worry about it.
    00:30:15 Arjay_Espejo thanks for understanding me.
    00:30:56 Michael Tigges Absolutely no problem at all. I really hope you have a great day.
    The guy was great, just didn't have all the information he needed. I feel bad for him. Thing ended after that, I gave him a great review.

Full chat log : http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=BLsGah0U
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-07-10 at 05:35 AM.

Pretty luls that they don't have a spec list for their "upscale" rigs.

Also, to all the people who are deathly afraid of building a computer, can you solve the following puzzle?

http://daddytypes.com/archive/tupper..._swimsuit2.jpg

Because it's about that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpieboi View Post
    <- uses an alienware aurora.

I know that there is 100% chance of me messing something up if I attempted to create a PC by myself.

Tack on repair costs if something goes wrong. ( alienware has a warranty, a very nice one at that )

I'd take my overpriced bad ass looking computer over a half priced shitty homemade computer any day.

Forgive me for wanting to show off more than my FPS.

- Even though I get 60 - 70 FPS with this in org on a Wednesday night at 8PM
    I would give you a point on your arguments, if they actually were true. Great arguments, sadly, it doesn't have any roots to reality.
    Alienwares extra costs for repairs/warranty would not be needed if they were as good at building computers as the price warrants.

Honestly, I'd even take a generic 90s white box-computer case over an Alienware one. My personal case (Fractal Design Define R3) is much more sleeker, professional-looking, not to mention it doesn't have lights or stupid logos on it. Did I mention it's probably more silent than yours?
    Also, taken into account that my computer probably would wipe the floor with yours faster than your signature suggests. Yea.
    It's hard to overcome bad hardware in computers. :|
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Boingo View Post
    Is the alienware Aurora a good gaming desktop? Or can I get a cheaper build for a lot less? Computer noooooob here.

Links would be nice !
    Honestly, when you buy ALienware, the only thing that you're basically paying overprice for, is the design. You can build something better and ALOT cheaper yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a good computer (the Aurora). If you have the money, and you want a cool looking computer I would get the Aurora. If you don't have a lot of money and you want to get the most bang for your buck, build your own. That's how I see Alienware computers. It's not a complete "NO" if you're willing to spend the money for it.

Building a computer is about as difficult as putting together legos without the book. Just look @ the picture on the box and you can figure it out.

Hell you probably allready have a computer eh? Just pop the side of the case off and you can see how everything goes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Runecapeman View Post
    I think it's a good computer (the Aurora). If you have the money, and you want a cool looking computer I would get the Aurora. If you don't have a lot of money and you want to get the most bang for your buck, build your own. That's how I see Alienware computers. It's not a complete "NO" if you're willing to spend the money for it.
    The only trouble is, that it isn't.
    It isn't a good computer, unless you customise the shizznizz out of it, and even then, the price springs out insanely much.

They have awkward GPU-choices, they have poor soundcard choices and their PSU is most likely quite poor.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone else read my post? Don't even think about purchasing from a company that doesn't know who manufactures their ram and hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    They have awkward GPU-choices, they have poor soundcard choices and their PSU is most likely quite poor.
    Their history suggests that will be true. Had a friend buy an alienware with a PSU that crapped out in a year about a year ago.

I dunno. It's a good computer and it will play most games very well, but it's really only worth getting if you have bundles of money laying around with nothing else to spend it on.

Yeah, I had a mate the same... I said I'd build him a computer (with free maintenance!), but no... He wanted an Alienware computer because "It's an Alienware computer, man!"

I also suggested him hold off, as Sandy Bridge was just about to be released, but no. He had £1,500 burning in his pocket

Me = -_-' I can build a computer for cheaper, and with better specs - You can just pick an alienware case to go with it.
    Him = (Y) But I want an Alienware!

He ended up changing out a GPU within a month and a couple of months later he had to send it back for maintenance some reason or another, I can't remember... I think he said something was (supposedly) damaged during transit.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|