Thread: Typing Speed

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Typing Speed

Just curious, what is the general consensus on a good WPM speed from the Computer forums?

80-90+ ... 10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking more 120+... >.> 2 words per second.

10+ Year Old Account
    90+

I'm pretty fast myself but inaccurate as shit. (I even had to retype the word "inaccurate" there)
    I'd probably make a terrible secretary or data entry person.
    "The truth, my goal."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm innacurate when I type, but I've gotten speeds up to 160+ with ~5 errors.
    This was my latest on that typerace website or whatever.

.-.

Last typing class I was in was in middle school, and it was the last time I measured my speed. I typed faster than the teacher, and hit >150wpm at points. I got to use that class as a study.
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

Deleted
    I type 57 WPM. 100+ is ridiculously fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    probably only about 50 words per minute=/ but it gets the job done

It depends personly what im doing, if im copying somthing then im slow as hell as i find it hard to read :P but if im free typing like now i can go as fast as i like ^^ just depends on mood / what im doing lol

100+ words per minute seems a bit overdoing it guys. You sure you aren't thinking of characters / minute? (Which is a better measure anyway, since words / minute depends a LOT on what kind of words you're typing, not to mention the length of those words....

As far as I know, a typing speed of 100+ CHARACTERS (so letters, spaces, interpunction) / minute is considered about average. I've even seem '2 finger' typers reach speeds around that mark. Keep in mind, that's 100+ chars / min without flaws, so having to backspace and retype will have a very bad impact on your CPM.

Excellent typers will be more in the area of about 150 CPM or even higher, but typically only in their native language. (Having to think for a millisecond on how to spell each english word correctly takes down my CPM quite a lot compared to how it would be in Dutch.)

Deleted
    I have around 120-130 words per minute on those online tests, although accuracy won't be as good as when I'm doing the tests.

Oh and to the guy linking his 121 WPM test based on 17 seconds.... yea, test that for 10 minutes straight and then come back with an average WPM. 17 seconds is NOT a good interval to extrapolate a 1 minute length-based measure on.

Unless you take dictations or whatnot, anything over 50-60 isn't really useful. <-- that's about where I sit, partially because i've also trained myself to type with one hand. Yeah yeah, I know what people will think. It's because I would play games and use the mouse to move about while typing something to someone, back in the days of RO where you clicked to move.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

copying is gay, like i type really slowly when im copying something because i have no idea whats coming up next you know, however when im just free typing its another story but i got 52 on speedtest.
    Kolopotho: I will find it incredibly shocking and rare if some guy walks up to a girl in a pub and says "i play a level 80 druid in world of warcraft" to which she will respond with "TAKE ME NOW".

Deleted
    My average typing speed is probably about 90. Best I've had is 98 WPM with about 2 errors.

I know that age probably doesn't matter but I'm eighteen right now. By the time I'm 25 I'm guessing I'll be at 120 + WPM because I'll have had more years to practice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I have around 120-130 words per minute on those online tests, although accuracy won't be as good as when I'm doing the tests.
    Dude cut it off seriously, that's 2 words every second, don't make me laugh.

For the record, try it here:
    http://speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/

This is mine (In Dutch):
    You reached 297 points, so you achieved position 3582 of 15145 on the ranking list

You type 400 characters per minute
    You have 59 correct words and
    you have 2 wrong words

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Oh and to the guy linking his 121 WPM test based on 17 seconds.... yea, test that for 10 minutes straight and then come back with an average WPM. 17 seconds is NOT a good interval to extrapolate a 1 minute length-based measure on.
    The guy that linked his 121WMP based on 17 seconds wasn't a 17 second test, it was a test I completed in 17 seconds. There's a difference. I didn't type bullshit in 17 seconds, I typed a paragraph in 17 seconds. I'm not here to defend or brag about myself, I was just pointing it out. If you're going to be an asshole, you ARE NOT welcome here. I've attained over 100 before in 1 minute tests. I was just curious.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-07-21 at 12:21 PM.

People who type a lot should be up to 110+ WPM at least, I would say.