Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Affliction just fooling recount meters?

I was testing affliction spec today over my usual destruction spec.

I noticed it's a total sham just by multi-dotting your tricking the meter into giving you higher DPS which isnt efficient in a boss fight.

In a boss fight you wanna do your job and nuke the proper target asap to finish the fight much faster. It seems recount doesn't take time into consideration and all the people are just praising affliction and simcraft. The fight is more than numbers.

For example on Beth'Ilac I was affliction my DPS was literally 5k higher than destro spec but it was a total sham as we finsihed the fight longer and I see this because im wasting time dotting every spinner, instead of burning SKULL and being efficient and switching to the next target. The fight takes longer..means its wrong.

Long story short In destro spec we finished the fight almost 30 seconds faster with the same variables. IMHO affliction is just dotting useless things and making the fight longer and manipulating their DPS to have higher numbers on recount

Does anyone agree?

There is absolutely no way you are the only variable in that equation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EuBloodSolder View Post

I noticed it's a total sham just by multi-dotting your tricking the meter into giving you higher DPS which isnt efficient in a boss fight.

In a boss fight you wanna do your job and nuke the proper target asap to finish the fight much faster. It seems recount doesn't take time into consideration and all the people are just praising affliction and simcraft. The fight is more than numbers.

For example on Beth'Ilac I was affliction my DPS was literally 5k higher than destro spec but it was a total sham as we finsihed the fight longer and I see this because im wasting time dotting every spinner, instead of burning SKULL and being efficient and switching to the next target. The fight takes longer..means its wrong.

Long story short In destro spec we finished the fight almost 30 seconds faster with the same variables. IMHO affliction is just dotting useless things and making the fight longer and manipulating their DPS to have higher numbers on recount

Does anyone agree?
    This is absolutely true, it pisses me off soo bad when people try and spam meters and 20% of their dmg is to the actual target. We had a boomkin several months ago that would spam mushrooms like a G6 on Heroic magmaw and brag about meters, even tho she was always the lowest dmg on the correct add, she eventually left because everyone knew she was shit and could only aoe.

Deleted
    You put out more damage, but spread over different targets. More damage is more damage from you, and if everything has to die, more damage is more efficient. If you are just dotting random unneeded adds to pad meters, you are bad anyway.

Don't forget in a raid, there are 5/18 other people putting out damage on the mob too, each with their own dps rng issues - easily enough to account for the 30 seconds difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    There is absolutely no way you are the only variable in that equation
    The fact still remains that a large portion of Affl dps comes from multi-dotting. Of course an Affl warlock wouldn't agree.

This is Vince with ShamWoW, you'll be saying wow everytime you play affliction

I'm kind of lost. If you are attacking things that need to die, I'm lost with you saying the damage is not worth it. It's not like when the spinners die, your dots keep ticking. I guess logs of the 2 different fights would be needed to see the difference, but I think I'm still missing the point.

You mean like all the locks that cheesed on nef with the adds? It's something locks have done for a while...

If your dps is higher while killing adds it means adds die faster. If dots are wasted, then your dps should be lower. And in P2, affli should do even more damage than destro (at least during last 25% when it matters most).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    The fact still remains that a large portion of Affl dps comes from multi-dotting. Of course an Affl warlock wouldn't agree.
    While I'm not familiar with Affli, I know shadow extremely well, and they have pretty similar generic playstyles.
    If you spend a lot of time applying DoTs to 5 different targets, you do not have any spare time to dish out direct damage spells, inflating the percentage of damage from DoTs.

The most important fact is that if all of the adds that you are multidotting need to die, then spreading dots maximises your damage, making your more efficient at your job.
    Why would you focus on one add? If you burn down one, it means the people who don't multidot or the people with large ramp-up times don't need to switch targets as often, leading them to be more efficient too.

Aff is not to be taken as a spriest or a Boomkin.

Your dps would actually have been HIGHER if you didn't waste time dotting EVERY SINGLE Spinner. All I do is dot one, SS another, then focus on the drones. I usually do around 25k at the end of that fight. Destro is good for burst damage, but the longer a fight lasts you'll see a comparably skilled and geared Aff lock creeping up until the execute phase where he just blows past you.

If everything has to go down it's ok....

There's nothing to pad on Beth'tilac, if you did 5k more dps it was 5k more dps that contributed to the kill

I don't think you understand

For example this is what I mean:

5 spiders burn time indvidually =30 sec

5 spider multi-dot affliction and waste time= 40 seconds

This is because I'm wasting time dotting every spider even though Recount loves this and gives me extra DPS it's slower in the end run.

To take a fight with no adds since you're talking about padding meters (like you would with Bane of Havoc to a lesser degree) Baleroc - I finish the fight typically 4-7k higher as afflic than when I do it as destro. I raid effectively with each of the three specs as required and afflic is easily the best single target (boss) damage from my personal experience.

when you deal 5k dps more then you deal 5k dps more even if it is with multi dotting!
    in A fight like Beth thilac maybe it doesnt change how long the boss is alive but it changes how long the adds are alive which makes it a lot easier for the healers. Also when you got enough dmge on the bottom you could send another dd up there so bethi dies faster.

Also when you got the right gear and play the right way you can deal the same or a better amount with affi as with destruction against a single target.

Btw i played destro since vannilla because I just love the specc!

I don't think you understand

For example this is what I mean:

5 spiders burn time indvidually =30 sec

5 spider multi-dot affliction and waste time= 40 seconds

This is because I'm wasting time dotting every spider even though Recount loves this and gives me extra DPS it's slower in the end run.
    That's not how it works. If you're doing it right multi-dotting can only make things faster

Honestly you need to read what you wrote, what happens if everyone just targets skull, whos going to kill all the other adds that NEED to die or you will wipe. Most of your post was just totally clueless.

If you honestly think its faster to burn down things 1 by 1 with a skull you are dillusional or doing ti wrong, our dots are our highest DPET abilities we have.

If you have a viable multi-dotting spec, then multi-dot. Let those single target dps monsters nuke skulls down asap. If everything needs to die and "skulls" aren't wiping your raid, only thing that matters is your total damage output.

Does anyone agree?
    You are thinking about it in the wrong way. You multidot to do damage to multiple targets at once. This is in terms more efficient than just burning one target for one reason. Your dot's will have a higher uptime resulting in more damage total to each target you did plus the targets die quicker. It's not like you are spamming Seed of Corruption and going "lol look at meters".

You say the fight took longer? Sorry to break it to you, but you are not the reason the fight goes on longer or shorter. There are multiple players involved. Perhaps some had bad RNG, weren't doing their job, lagged, etc. You cannot say "I went Destro and it went 30 seconds faster". The simple reason is not every variable was the same. If so, did the same procs occur at the same time, did the same cooldowns get used, was lust used a percent earlier in an execute phase, etc. There are way too many variables to say "they were the same", otherwise RNG would like to have a talk with you.

If you want a certain target nuked asap no matter what then affliction can do the same just that they are more effective at multi-dotting. Also, by the time you multi-dot one target that's effectively the same as casting 1-1.5 Shadow Bolts, or an Incinerate/Chaos Bolt. Dotting up a target only takes a couple GCD's and that is it and if you don't use Soul Swap. Which if you are affliction you should be.

The reason affliction performs higher is on multi-target fights is because you are effectively dps'ing 2+ targets at the exact same time with the same damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    This is absolutely true, it pisses me off soo bad when people try and spam meters and 20% of their dmg is to the actual target. We had a boomkin several months ago that would spam mushrooms like a G6 on Heroic magmaw and brag about meters, even tho she was always the lowest dmg on the correct add, she eventually left because everyone knew she was shit and could only aoe.
    So because your boomkin was taking advantage of the fact boomkin multi-dotting was really good in T11 makes them bad? Classes that can multi-dot should because they can take advantage. Boomkins, Spriests, and Affliction Locks are best at this, aside from DK's spreading diseases. Not to mention boomkins that multi-dot have a greater chance of proccing an instant Starsurge.

Sounds like in this case you were the bads ones for not realizing exactly what they were doing and what their spec has the ability to utilize.

As others mention, some classes perform excellently at single target and should be burning mobs, some are great at multi-dotting and helping do that so when they switch over other classes can hit their "execute" phase quicker for quicker burns.

Now, if the person is aoe'ing just to aoe mobs that don't need it, then it's a different story, but I can't think of any fight like that off hand.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2011-07-21 at 11:32 PM.