High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Frost DPS - Any tips, tricks, thoughts?

Character is Senium - Hellscream US

Working on gearing up another Alt, and I'll be quite honest ... Frost DPS is absurdly fun. I'm loving it. As it stands, I'm pulling somewhere between 18-20k during more Troll Heroics and bosses. I've yet to enter into a BoT or a BWD, but I have a couple of questions concerning gear.

Yes, I know the green belt is sticking out like a sore thumb, and I'm thiiiiis close to getting the Exalted Hyajl Rep one. Trinkets though -

DMC: Hurricane - Is it really THAT good for DW?

Beyond that, Hit to Cap > Expertise > Haste > Mastery > Crit

Anything special I should know that I'm not reading on EJ?

Much appreciated -
    Raz
    Razern - 85 Hunter (Main - FotM Spec)
    Talio - 85 Paladin (Alt #1 - Prot Main / Holy Off)
    Tenemico - 85 Shaman (Alt #2 - Resto Main / Enh Off)

Hunters - Easy to learn, hard to master. And yet, we all just faceroll in the end

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    DMC Hurricane sucks, I found it to be a terrible trinket. When you have lower levels of gear you have to itemize properly and it's pretty hard to get your caps without all BIS gear so the trinket is technically inferior in that regard. I am still using License to Slay and heroic Heart of Rage as my trinkets, which have pretty much 100% uptime on boss fights. The only advantage Hurricane has as a trinket is that it can proc off melee strikes which is situational at best since it's a low proc rate, whereas other trinkets have almost 100% uptime when you are on a boss. Plus heroic level trinkets out scale a 359 trinket.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maths to back it up? I keep reading guides and seeing this slated as one of the top trinkets ... I'm not quite eager to slap the money on it, but if it's not too shabby for what I'll be using him for, hell .. I'd do it.
    Razern - 85 Hunter (Main - FotM Spec)
    Talio - 85 Paladin (Alt #1 - Prot Main / Holy Off)
    Tenemico - 85 Shaman (Alt #2 - Resto Main / Enh Off)

Hunters - Easy to learn, hard to master. And yet, we all just faceroll in the end

im blood and run frost as my off. dmc hurricane is a great middle of the pack trinket for dw frost if the above poster was 2h frost then yes its terrible but dw loves it and as dw is much better then 2h now then thats what you should be.

18-20k dps pre raid is about as good as you can get right now your in the need gear platue but if thats what your pulling then your doing everything right

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razern View Post
    Maths to back it up? I keep reading guides and seeing this slated as one of the top trinkets ... I'm not quite eager to slap the money on it, but if it's not too shabby for what I'll be using him for, hell .. I'd do it.
    EJ's rated the trinket substantially lower for Frost DW then it was initially, with Heart of Rage and Crushing Weight heroic still being two of the best trinkets for Frost specs. The problem with the Hurricane trinket is that the damage proc on it is completely random and can't be gauged due to lack of encounters with 100% melee uptime on one target. Vessel of Acceleration is only BIS because of all the strength on it, it's not a properly itemized trinket for anyone other then Warriors.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    DMC Hurricane sucks, I found it to be a terrible trinket. When you have lower levels of gear you have to itemize properly and it's pretty hard to get your caps without all BIS gear so the trinket is technically inferior in that regard. I am still using License to Slay and heroic Heart of Rage as my trinkets, which have pretty much 100% uptime on boss fights. The only advantage Hurricane has as a trinket is that it can proc off melee strikes which is situational at best since it's a low proc rate, whereas other trinkets have almost 100% uptime when you are on a boss. Plus heroic level trinkets out scale a 359 trinket.
    My DK has an ilvl of 365 which is nothing special however with the three trinkets and optimal reforging this is how the dps sims using simcraft:28939 - HoR (359) & DMC28235 - LTS & DMC27438 - HoR & LTSSo if you think DMC is shit that's fine (and it may just be for your character/gear setup) but it is a clear winner mathematically for my DW DK from those three options.

Deleted
    DMC is still one of the best trinkets for DW Frost, certainly pre-raiding as the original poster stated was his current situation. I will try to get some math to back me up on this, im confident it will turn out in DMCs favor when I run the sims.

DMC:H is fine for preraid and low gear levels.

You will want heart of rage and essence of the eternal flame as you start gearing up.

Heroic heart of rage is easily obtained; heroic crushing weight is still very far out of reach for the majority of players (as council heroic is still tougher than half of firelands heroic encounters).