Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Firebound Gorget for Frost DW?

So I just got Firebound Gorget while clearing Trash in Firelands, and im wondering if its an increase to my current Fireheart Necklace - my gut tells me yes considering the increased amount of mastery, but there is a loss of Strength too!

Has anyone run any numbers on this? Or tried both out?

Thanks in advance,

Annya

I am DW Frost btw, exp capped and using the UH Presence Reforge for Haste/Mastery build.

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    terrible neck for dps. very short on str which is the primary DPS stat.

if anyone else has anything to say about it (read further) blizzard has lowered the str on what they concider "tank" pieces that may be confused with DPS pieces to make sure we separate the two and compensated in this way.

DPS piece > str than Tank piece = better for dps

Tank piece < str than dps piece BUT While tanking > parry per str to compensate.

happy hunting.
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-07-20 at 08:26 PM.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Use the 365 purchaseable day 1 from the Molten Front instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Annya View Post
    So I just got Firebound Gorget while clearing Trash in Firelands, and im wondering if its an increase to my current Fireheart Necklace - my gut tells me yes considering the increased amount of mastery, but there is a loss of Strength too!

Thanks in advance,

Annya

I am DW Frost btw, exp capped and using the UH Presence Reforge for Haste/Mastery build.
    the reduced strength on the gorget should tell you that it was designed as a tanking neck first and foremost.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember that regardless of what dps spec you play as a dk nothing is valued higher than str.
    "Before them the earth shakes, the heavens tremble, the sun and the moon darkened, and the stars no longer shine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Impiccato View Post
    Just remember that regardless of what dps spec you play as a dk nothing is valued higher than str.
    unless there is a stat in a greater quantity offering more dps than the lost strength.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    unless there is a stat in a greater quantity offering more dps than the lost strength.
    ...which is what he said. Strength has a higher value per point than other stats, but obviously if other stats are sharply more present...

The added expertise and strength of the Fireheart Necklace easily makes it a better option unless you're in a position where you cannot otherwise drop down reasonably close to expertise-cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Impiccato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    ...which is what he said.

Strength has a higher value per point than other stats, but obviously if other stats are sharply more present...
    No actually if you read what is already in the thread that's not at all what he said (I bolded and enlarged the part you were confused about) and I pointed that out exactly with the statement you quoted me on on.

its not so obvious when its not what is said. i just made the comment so he didn't have to "read between the lines" as previous posters said by "more strength duh!" i said WHY the difference is true. The OP asked if more mastery > the str loss (grey area) and -I- said no because STR loss < Mastery gain.

Impiccato said STR > all period which isnt true. if it had say 50 more mastery and only 10 less str then the more mastery would be better.

read just a little closer. I just wanted to remove the grey area and make it less rigid and more clear.
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-07-20 at 09:17 PM.

Oh, sorry. I'm used to you conflicting everyone's statement, and your post had that 'undertone'. That was my misinterpretation. My honest bad.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-07-20 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Oh, sorry. I'm used to you conflicting everyone's statement. That was my misinterpretation. My honest bad.
    It happens (no argument intended)

but seriously if you had the HEROIC version of that "tank" neck vs the fireheart neck (not sure why but) then the heroic version would clearly be better.

Heres why:

Heroic Firebound Gorget has 195 str but has 256 mastery and 130 exp
    Fireheart necklace has 6 more str but other stats are less and would result in less dps if these were the options.

based on Impiccato's blanketed statement the fireheart neck would be better but thats not true at all.

Indeed. It seems like perhaps the simplest but accurate way to state it would be similar to what Il I said, but with a minor adjustment at the end.

Just remember that regardless of what dps spec you play as a dk nothing is valued higher than str per point.

So that shows that 1 point of STR is obviously better than 1 of mastery, but not necessarily better than 2 or 3 mastery. It seems like a simple concept, but sometimes people do overlook it.

The BiS list at the moment (or since the last time I looked) will show the Stoneheart Choker. Since currently we don't think there's a heroic version, surely Necklace of Fetishes is the best item?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Indeed. It seems like perhaps the simplest but accurate way to state it would be similar to what Il I said, but with a minor adjustment at the end.

Just remember that regardless of what dps spec you play as a dk nothing is valued higher than str per point.

So that shows that 1 point of STR is obviously better than 1 of mastery, but not necessarily better than 2 or 3 mastery. It seems like a simple concept, but sometimes people do overlook it.
    Thank you. I didn't realize I would have to break what I said down that far nor did I care to but regardless thank you for explaining it.
    "Before them the earth shakes, the heavens tremble, the sun and the moon darkened, and the stars no longer shine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya View Post

Thanks in advance,

Annya

you should look at items before you roll on them. its a tank neck, low str... with mastery.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flashur View Post
    The BiS list at the moment (or since the last time I looked) will show the Stoneheart Choker. Since currently we don't think there's a heroic version, surely Necklace of Fetishes is the best item?
    There is in fact a heroic version of all VP gear. You simply apply the crystal to the gear like you would an enchant and.............poof 391. Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by toeknee View Post
    There is in fact a heroic version of all VP gear. You simply apply the crystal to the gear like you would an enchant and.............poof 391. Magic.
    Does this definitely work? I know there was that GM message that said it, but half the time they don't know what they're talking about and when I asked a GM about it he didn't know and couldn't tell me. Has anyone done this?

I'm pretty sure you actually hand it in to the hc loot vendor just outside Firelands, but i could be wrong.

Either way, the current BiS is the heroic version of the VP neck as far as i am aware, so until you start raiding Firelands heroic (thus having access to heroic loot), i'd assume that the normal version is likely to be the best you can get your hands on, although i could very well be wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Going from Fireheart Necklace to Firebound Gorget using the DW Frost 378 EP list on ElitistJerks (I am aware that its not infallible, and obviously your actual EP will vary depending on your current gear) give the following EP gains and losses:

-28 str * 3.1 = 86.8 EP
    -16 exp * 1.64 = 26.24 EP
    +96 mastery * 1.44 = 138.24 EP

Therefore, using those EP values, you are gaining 25.2 EP by switching to the Firebound Gorget.

Obviously, the values change for both with reforging, and the EP values taken from ElitistJerks (or any similar site) do not necessarily reflect every other DK's EP values, but this does show that, while not exactly the ideal upgrade (in fact, its more than likely that selling it is definitely a better idea), it MAY be an upgrade, depending on your other gear.

Also, it goes without saying, ANY dps who tries to take this over a tank should be not allowed to play their toon until they have written a detailed essay about what they have done wrong.
    Last edited by Rickarus; 2011-07-21 at 05:47 AM.

No, that's not how it works. People have gotten crystallized firestones and tried that, saying nothing happens. Plus from wowhead,

"Greetings Hishtar

The only items that you can upgrade with a crystallised firestone are the ones that the vendors offer you. The one just ouitside the raid.

Regards

Khelldarann

Blizzard Europe Game Master Support"

Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    I'm pretty sure you actually hand it in to the hc loot vendor just outside Firelands, but i could be wrong.

Either way, the current BiS is the heroic version of the VP neck as far as i am aware, so until you start raiding Firelands heroic (thus having access to heroic loot), i'd assume that the normal version is likely to be the best you can get your hands on, although i could very well be wrong
    I don't know how true this is, as I haven't run my own sims on it, nor do I put all my trust in Askmrrobot: but (Heroic) Firebound Gorget *might* be BiS if you happen to be an ORC Frost Deathknight. That is... if you can get a Heroic "Faultline" Cloak off of Al'akir, as well as every other Heroic BiS piece.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/deathknightfrostdw#v1-o6130002605

Edit: This would be because the Heroic Stoneheart Choker offers more Expertise, and I imagine that being an Orc + Axes + Heroic gear = too much Expertise.
    Last edited by An_Unoriginal_Name; 2011-07-21 at 05:49 PM.