Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

There is no reason to play UH as a main build in Firelands.

Title pretty much speaks for itself. Its been a few weeks and I feel I can safely say (with WoL damage backing me up) that with Jinx curse of elements the usefulness of unholy has been reduced to AMZ on Majodomo.

I'd really love to hear some thoughts otherwise, but I for one am packing up the 2h and getting some cleavers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

I mean your thought may stand true but as always it comes down to what your guild needs/ whats available and what you want to play. Yeah Unholy's dmg looks pretty craptastic at the moment but I'm sure there are guilds that dont have a lock or have their lock playing demo for the greater spellpower effect.

Yea, i've been wondering as well why I still let one of our DK's play unholy main, since his equally skilled frost colleague is doing 20-30% more dps....

But i'm loving Unholy on Majordomo! I still don't think AMZ is working like intended on that fight, but i'm not complaining......

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Yea, i've been wondering as well why I still let one of our DK's play unholy main, since his equally skilled frost colleague is doing 20-30% more dps....

But i'm loving Unholy on Majordomo! I still don't think AMZ is working like intended on that fight, but i'm not complaining......
    The gap isn't nearly that large played correctly.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    The gap isn't nearly that large played correctly.
    Still, there is a gap between them so there should be no reason whatsoever to play UH if not for buff/AMZ

Quote Originally Posted by Anderzon View Post
    Still, there is a gap between them so there should be no reason whatsoever to play UH if not for buff/AMZ
    Thats the kicker though, with jinx the bonus that use to be pestilence + ebon plague is gone.

Ah the fall of unholy in Cataclysm. Our first Magmaw kill, our unholy DK was pulling 23k DPS in mostly blues (although he did get a Zinrokh). By the time he quit around 4.2, he was down to 17-18k dps with muuuuuuch better gear. And now I see unholy at the bottom of the charts... it just makes me sad.

Mostly because he still reads MMO champ, and I can just tell he's going to look at that chart on the main page and get this smug smile and say "Ha, glad I stopped playing", but I'm still trying to get him back. Damnit.

From top class/spec to (literally) bottom-feeder... Unholy's looking sad, even with a +15% on Strength

They need to buff UH's strikes

Deleted
    I'm still topping (or almost) in our raid, as UH, but I think that when our frost dk get his two axes, I'm gonna go for them too.

Deleted
    Frost is so much better in Firelands because the heat causes their icy magic to melt to water, therefor extinguishing the Fire elementals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Frost is so much better in Firelands because the heat causes their icy magic to melt to water, therefor extinguishing the Fire elementals.
    *High Five*

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 04:07 PM ----------

Anti-Magic Zone has alot more uses than just Majordomo... Stomps on Rhyo Heroic phase 2 if timed properly, Beth'tilac Heroic when she Ember flares in phase 2, Alysrazor aswell, Hit AMZ just as she hits Full power, Molten seed explosion on Raggy in phase 2 aswell :P. End of the day you play what you enjoy the most, and i really enjoy giving my raid a raid Cooldown :P
    Last edited by mmoc72da514e05; 2011-07-29 at 03:09 PM.

Deleted
    Made an account here just to be able to reply to this topic, although I've been meaning to make an account here for a while. Anyway off to the serious stuff.

In our 25 man normal raid we have 4 Death Knights me being one of them. Two of us have always played Unholy and the other two Frost. During T11 we all switched to Frost because it was clearly a tad bit stronger compared to Unholy and we all did a fantastic job. Now since Firelands came out me and the other ex-Unholy Death Knight both switched back and we are both topping not only the other Frost Death Knights but also the other classes/specs most of the time. It might have something to do with the encounters we are currently on but generally the two of us are topping the others by a fair bit with the exception of Alysrazor where we are on interrupt duty and one of the Frost Death Knights goes up in the air.

Ironically we all get destroyed by a Marksmanship Hunter at Baleroc though.

We're still progressing though normal mode so I can't say much about heroic (and yes I'm aware Frost scales better) but I wouldn't give up this quickly. If you know what you are doing you will be able to perform well with any class and spec. ...unless you play an elemental shaman, sorry shamans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    Anti-Magic Zone has alot more uses than just Majordomo... Stomps on Rhyo Heroic phase 2 if timed properly, Beth'tilac Heroic when she Ember flares in phase 2, Alysrazor aswell, Hit AMZ just as she hits Full power, Molten seed explosion on Raggy in phase 2 aswell
    Exactly that.

The amount of absorb that one Zone can take is enormous and game-changing.

Stood in the Fire MeleeSpriestDK's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unholy is good but frost out performs due to easy target switching it takes time to for your ghoul to move and uh has a longer ramp up time to get full dps. Uh needs an upgrade and frost needs a change. All 3 specs shouldnt be best in uh pres.

Gamers never Die

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealpup View Post
    Exactly that.

The amount of absorb that one Zone can take is enormous and game-changing.
    Now I can't talk about heroic modes, but all I can add to this is that our first and only kill of Alysrazor was the one where I went out and specced Anti-Magic Zone. After that I grew so fond of it that I've been running back and forth speccing it in and out.

Oh how nice it would be to be able to get triple specs so I wouldn't constantly have to run back and forth if I wanted to keep my PvP spec =/

EDIT:
    To MeleeSpriestDK, I think you are mixing up two things here. If you micromanage your ghoul well you can make sure it doesn't lose much damage from traveling from one to another target. There also isn't always a need for your ghoul to be attacking your target, you can also let it attack a stationary target while you deal with other adds and such.

Frost has a bit of a problem switching targets due to having to stack Razor Frost back to 5 on the new target. Granted the ramp up time isn't as big as Unholy, but switching is a much bigger issue for them compared to Unholy unless the targets are out of Pestilence's reach.
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2011-07-29 at 03:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who only uses Unholy as an offspec AND doesn't have two good 1H weapons, I personally saw a DPS increase by switching from 2H Frost. Also Staghelm is one of the fights I DPS on so at least I'm bringing AMZ.

For a main spec DPS, yeah I'd find it questionable as a choice.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    We're still progressing though normal mode so I can't say much about heroic (and yes I'm aware Frost scales better) but I wouldn't give up this quickly. If you know what you are doing you will be able to perform well with any class and spec. ...unless you play an elemental shaman, sorry shamans.
    Haha, what? I eat the likes of you as snacks during our boss kills. I'm competing for top spot with our affli lock and marks hunter. Sorry m8, but unholy can't touch my dps. Dunno which ele shammies you are rolling with but it's safe to say that you don't want to be rolling with em for much longer. Before our latest buff, in ilvl 365 (was on vacation when my guild cleared firelands) I topped Baleroc with 27,5k dps.

Speaking of unholy, it's my favorite DK spec and it's sucked for a while. I'm not touching my DK until unholy gets some buffs. Shame really :/

I used to be dire hard unholy. But became MT with cata and ended up offspecing dw frost cause I snagged 2 one handers first week I honestly miss some of the fun things in unholy but love dw frost too. Ill never understand why blizzard isn't more active about spec balancing. That was nearly their entire logic of mastery. A knob to tune to buff or nerf a specs performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    they need to make the ghoul 100% uptime in it's form. problem solved.

I haven't touched my DK since I got Zin'rokh for him a long time ago. I enjoyed UH though as I was leveling him *he sits simply in 346 blues still . If I start to play him again, I'll still hold onto UH. I like the way it plays, if I need a DPS for raids then I can just use my main, Shadow Priest. Lol they seem to be doing well in FL.