Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Pretty jelly of my little cousin.

My little cousin is 13 years old. He doesn't have any brothers to share stuff, only sisters. He has a better set-up than that swifty guy....and he has 2 of them because his parents are divorced but his dad buys him x2 of everything for his PC gaming for the time he spends at his mothers. My uncle has a really well paid job but it's the fact that he is so interested in this stuff (yet he doesn't actually play video games anymore) He just buys it for his son, anytime something new comes out...he gets it. He had 580's, then the 590's came out and he replaced all the 580's with the 590's. My cousin is 13 and has 2 setups both with 3 montior nvidia surround on 50"LED triples. Not to mention any time razer or any of those gaming peripherals gets released they instantly buy that.

I wish my old man was more tech-savvy, my old man doesn't even know how to use a computer. When I was 13, over 10 years ago. I was playing the sims and age of empires on my 333mhz CPU with 10gb hdd sharing the computer with my brother on our 19 inch fat shit of a monitor. My old man has always brought in a lot of money but he wont spend money on anything that isn't a house or car. He is so stingy when it comes to technology. He prefers spending his money on boring stuff - for example he only JUST recently got a smart phone, only because his phone from like 2005 finally died (he even refused the upgrades to a smart phone after his contract expired like 4 years ago)

My childhood was really great - but I didn't have any of this fancy stuff, my parents just never bought into that stuff and were always quite stingy when it came to technology. I wonder what it would have been like to be 13 and have all that at my disposal, would have been so fucking awesome.It's just annoying because my parents had the money to buy stuff, but they never did ... I had to earn everything I wanted. My cousin gets any new tech that comes out pretty much on day 1 of it's release.

I don't want to sound like a douchebag, but I bet it's because my uncles parents divorced. My uncle might be trying to win his kids love by buying em everything they want, my aunty can't afford to buy them stuff because my uncle was by faaaaaaaaar the bread winner. Just makes me feel like a poor cunt while im riding this 3 year old PC that I built in 2008 and haven't had a need to upgrade yet my cousin who's 10 years younger @ 13 years of age getting every new peice of hardware available on the market as soon as it's released. Ahhh why did my parents have to be stuck in the 1940's/50's mentality when they were bringing my brother/sister and I up sighhhhhh
    Last edited by Obese; 2011-08-01 at 10:48 AM.

Deleted
    Honestly it just sounds like a spoilt brat to me with the typical "Oh he has X why didn't i have X?". I don't want a smartphone and i'm 19 does that make me not tech savy? It sounds to me like your parents where trying to teach you a valuble lesson on the differences between wants and needs, if you want something you have to work hard for it and your needs e.g a house must be taken care before regardless of how much income you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    when i was kid back in the 1990's i used to live in Iran which looks NOTHING like now so it had even less exposure to stuff that you take for granted like the cool cartoons and treats (like nutella or frigging McDonald), anyways what I'm getting it at is that i had much less than you back then and i was having a blast with my friends, if i had a choice to restart those times over i would do it in a heartbeat, so what you have the super awesome computer or the newest cars? whats important is what you do with your time and sitting in front of your computer for childhood is not exactly happy memories.
    im in canada now and honestly dont care how up to date my computer or appliances are :P

Maybe your dad is putting his money away so he can leave you something when he dies?

Also, please stop using the term 'jelly' in place of the word 'jealous'.

Also, what the hell? You expect him to get a smartphone just 'cause? Why? What would he need a smartphone for? He probably only has a cellphone for the basic contact it provides.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-08-01 at 11:08 AM.

Deleted
    When I was 13, over 10 years ago.
    So, you're 23 years old and whining about not having new stuff to play with? How about getting off your lazy ass and get a job to pay for it yourself?!

So you're a 23 year old jealous of a 13 year old because his parents are divorced and they try to make it up by spoiling him, while your parents kept the family together and gave you a normal childhood?

............no.

Also, you're angry because your parents stuck with the "1940s/50s mentality". Wow. You should be damn grateful they gave you a proper family and they didn't divorce and you didnt have to go through a broken family, just to be blinded by flashy gifts.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2011-08-01 at 11:13 AM.

Your cousin sounds a lot like me, but I use all my own money to buy my stuff. I probably put like $10,000 a year into new electronics. :|

IMO if I were you, I would ask him if I could have of his old stuff when he upgrades. It sounds like to me his old stuff is probably going to be better for you than your current stuff so why not?

Spiderman Cartoon Maker!

Woo yeah!
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

So...
    You're jealous of your cousin?
    The end?

You're twenty-three years old, girl.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obese View Post
    ... for example he only JUST recently got a smart phone, only because his phone from like 2005 finally died (he even refused the upgrades to a smart phone after his contract expired like 4 years ago)
    I'm 29, have no smartphone and do not plan to change that fact unless absolutely necessary Am I more old-fashioned than your "old man"?

Deleted
    I was going to read your story because it seemed like something I wanted to read, but then you used the word "jelly" and I stopped giving a fuck.

Not even trolling, but how can people think they are going to be taken seriously when they don't even display a basic knowledge of English. Geez.

Mod Warning: Post more constructively.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-01 at 01:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    my parents are together and when i was a kid gave me the 90s equiv of everything your cousin has. I got heart surgery to fix holes in my atrium and they bought me a brand-new N64 with perfect dark, donkey kong, sm64, all the awesome games. For lack of better terms now that i am older i feel like a douche for all the stuff i asked for and my parents gave me... you grow up and realize the metric tons of pokemon cards you had in your room was counter productive to growing up and your parents retaining money

---------- Post added 2011-08-01 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StarFade View Post
    I was going to read your story because it seemed like something I wanted to read, but then you used the word "jelly" and I stopped giving a fuck.

Not even trolling, but how can people think they are going to be taken seriously when they don't even display a basic knowledge of English. Geez.
    nice run on, how am I supposed to take you seriously?

Ask him what he does with his old stuff. If he's just trashing his 580s tell him that you could find a use for them.

Maybe your father isn't being stingy so much as not getting caught up in NEW NEW NEW hype. Having seen technology evolve over the years, he's probably seen how quickly new shiny stuff comes along and your old "new" is now outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by StarFade View Post

Well that's confusing, because he used the word "jelly" in his title. You wouldn't have even clicked on it and you wouldn't have seen his story without clicking on the title which had the word "jelly" first. So without clicking it, how would you know that it would be something you wanted to read?

Not that I'm defending him, but the logical fallacies are there.

Sorry, this post sounds dickish but it just came to my head :P
    Last edited by vizzle; 2011-08-01 at 11:32 AM.

I knew when i read jelly in the title you would be pathetic. Even your forum name explains everything. How about you go OUTSIDE and get a JOB and get yourself a gaming rig as good as his instead of complaining he is rich????

Im not even trolling here but you are old enough to do shit yourself and being jealous of a 13 year old is FUCKING pathetic.

You're just a spoilt negative brat and I bet your jealousy has bad effects on your cousin with the way you treat him.

You're mad because he has a better computer? So get a fucking job.

I hate to be Mr.Pesimist but what about dying orphans, who's only wish is to have some food, or water or even a family to look after them, and you're wining about a computer because you're too damn lazy to get a job?

Your dad is a realist, there is no NEED for a smartphone when his worked perfectly fine. If you have a shit life do something about it without bringing others (your father) down and being jealous/hateful towards others (your cousin).

edit: sure it must suck a bit that your little cousin gets what you can't have, but thats life. Complaining about it won't do anything, you have to be practical and go out and do that. I hope you remember this little story when/if you have kids so you can give them the upbringing you couldn't have. Do you think you're gonna buy your son the same your cousins gonna get? Hell no, because you yourself said that it's basically ridiculous. Anyway, you're a hypocritical spoilt brat, move on!
    Last edited by Aryl; 2011-08-01 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    Jealous of a 13 year old, that makes me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    So you're a 23 year old jealous of a 13 year old because his parents are divorced and they try to make it up by spoiling him, while your parents kept the family together and gave you a normal childhood?

............no.

Also, you're angry because your parents stuck with the "1940s/50s mentality". Wow. You should be damn grateful they gave you a proper family and they didn't divorce and you didnt have to go through a broken family, just to be blinded by flashy gifts.

My parents got divorced when I was 9 (I'm 22 now) and it never effected me that badly. The stigma surrounding divorce is absurd. Sure its bad and it can effect how you grow up, but you still live a pretty normal life.

Also, I was spoiled a bit myself, but nothing like that.

Sooo... stuff makes you happy? Get a job, earn your own money and buy shit, if it's that important. I expected my parents to buy me stuff while I was a kid, but I have NEVER been given a computer or any larger things from my parents. Whenever I wanted to buy shit, I had to cough it up myself and as a result, I don't really care that my stuff isn't the latest of the latest. I bought a smart phone because it goes well with my job and life style, but if it didn't, I probably would've stuck with my old one.

I'm rambling, but my point is: There's more to life than dead items, HOWEVER, it's all a matter of perspective. Your cousin doesn't think so. His dad doesn't think so. You don't think so, but your dad does. There's nothing wrong with having different opinions and I'm not one to judge which is better, all I'm saying is, if you disagree with your dad, man up and take care of yourself - you say you were 13 more than 10 years ago, then you should be out earning your own money, NOT expecting things from your parents. So your parents didn't buy you shit when you were young? I bet you have many memories that your cousin will never understand, but if not, tough noogies - make the best of the time you have right now instead.

Being jealous is a waste of time - appreciate what you have or do something about it.

you say you were 13 more than 10 years ago, then you should be out earning your own money, NOT expecting things from your parents.
    This. Parents shouldn't provide you with everything past age sixteen.
    They shouldn't even be forced to provide you with shelter past 18.

Everything you get from your parents as an adult person is a gift, or a charity.