Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think Elitists are hated because of the way they act, some elitists talk in a manner which makes them seem really rude and it's just natural that if you've met one elitist who were rude, you'll think the same of the next one you meet even if he's not even tried interacting with you or said anything rude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    elitist is a man wearing a top hat and a monocle dear sir. since you dont seem to do any of this you are in fact not an elitist person.

and here comes the BUT! but you seem to think that you actually ARE an elitist person just because you raid alot, this is in fact false! it just states that you have alot of time/or are very addicted to the game and thus play it more often than the working population.

simply said, elitist is anoter term for arrogant pricks, they dont have to be very good at what they do, or like in your case do it alot, that doesnt have anything to do with it. its simply people who seem to think they know best because of some self-created rules/terms/equations(etc.) and then think they have to smear it in everyones face who doesnt think the same as they do -> arrogant prick.

the end!
    QFT +1, pretty much what this guy said
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythion View Post
    Why are elitists hated?
    Because bad people are jealous.

Because 'some' elitists don't like Blizzard catering to the casuals. They instinctively dislike each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone who plays a lot and grinds through hardmodes is not automatically an elitist.

Here, lemme show you the actual definition of the word and you will see the difference between a good player and an elitist:

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)n.1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
    2.a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
    b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 10:11 AM ----------

So the point I am making is even shitty, God awful players can be elitists even though they are NOT elite.

get it?
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    I had an elitist guild on my server Ghostlands, they were called Cake, they have broke up now but every single one of them were assholes. Not only were they rude to everyone on the server they told me where I could and couldn't stand in Dalaran as they wanted to take a photo screen in the place I was standing on the tower in Dalaran. I was afk at the time and they came and invaded MY Space and had the nerve to tell me to move. I was not happy, bunch of inconsiderate people. If you ask me elitists have stemmed themselves as being the players who not only think they are better by raid progression etc but better because they can tell you what to do in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you play this game with dedication,you want others to care a little bit more than usual this is simple,but when it comes to help people or guide them to become better your attitude must be helpful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think most people mix up being elite with being an elitist....
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Personally, I do not hate Elitists! I do however, find issues with those who have worked hard to get where they are, but forget that at one time, they were just a new, inexperienced, and lame at the game as everyone else. I do not deny their right to be Elite. They have earned it by working hard, and devoting a lot of time, thought, effort, and attention to overcome many of the toughest challenges that the game offers.

No, not everyone is going to be able to accomplish the same thing, and there are tons of them that will be jealous of those who do. However, there are those who have accomplished great things, and forgotten that they were once new at the game, and that they did not achieve their 'Elitist' status totally by themselves. It was done with friends, encouragement, and help from many sources and other people. And there are those among the 'lower classes' who can also reach those heights. No, they are not ALL Noobs, and just like the original Elitists, they make mistakes. What sets their above the rest is that they keep trying, and learn from their errors, and reach out asking for a little help. When they are constantly snubbed, or put down because they didn't get it right the first time, THAT is an Elitist that needs to remember their own roots. It costs them nothing to offer a simple suggestion, and in the long run, just as the tool tip says in game, a little courtesy goes a long way. So does a little help.

To all Elitists out there, stand proud of your accomplishments, and don't let anyone put you down. But please, at the same time, remember your roots and recall the hurdles you had to jump with help, and be thoughtful enough to pass that help along. That does not mean that you have to pander the idiot that wants everything handed to them. They are the ones who never learn, and will never achieve anything of worth. But when someone is showing that they really want to progress, and learn, and achieve their own greatness, step and pay back some of the kindness that you were once shown. In the long run, it will come back to make your own greatness even more rewarding and enjoyable.

Having an high sense of what success is fine for people but sometimes they can become narrowminded which is never what real success is, people who refer themselves as elitiest may pick up things rather quickly but almost in a superficial way. Just look at the attitudes of elites in wow like Dream paragon and rank 1s like wreckful there succesful but not in a boasting way.
    Last edited by Drakforce; 2011-08-04 at 07:33 PM.
    felhunters look like zerglings..that is all

The thing people overlook about elitests/hardcore raiders is in the end alot of us raid less than them we put stuff on hold for 1-2 months whell we raid hardcore 25-30 hour weeks but we clear the raid in 2 months then spend 1 day a week farming x/x HM in 3-4 hours and have rest of week for whatever. True some of us then start going for x/x HM on alts and such but alot just login the game once a week during farm content untill the next tier comes out.
    In terms of the attitude thing yeah we do act entitled alot but to a point we deserve it at times. My guild for example cleared firelands week 2 on alts that had like max 1/13 hm gear from last tier on 9 of the 10 people in the raid in like 5 hours just so we could laugh at the fact that our like 3rd alts now had like the #7 progression on the server whell people who had way better gear couldnt kill him.
    Last edited by Moshots; 2011-08-04 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chiming in ONE LAST TIME in hopes that someone, anyone might actually read and learn that bring a Hardcore Raider and being an Elitist are 2 COMPLETELY different things.... Look up the definition of the word Elitist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    When most people say elitists, they mean condescending assholes. People who think they are better then you because they've progressed further then you, perform better, ect.

Not all elitists are this way, but sometimes it seems the majority of them are.
    Yeah in my eyes that's a elitist. Someone who basicly thinks he's better then everybody else in the raid etc etc.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    I dont even raid and i am an elitist how come?

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    true elitst people are hated plain and simple because they know better, people dont like to be told what to do even if it makes them survive not standing in the fire

I can't really put it any other way than that
    Actually, most people don't mind constructive criticism, especially when it helps them succeed or do more DPS/HPS. The core issue is the entitlement attitude associated with (but not always actually there with each player) the "elitists".

The attitude earns the player the elitist stereotype/brand. You can be "elite" (meaning you're head and shoulders above the rest in terms of progress and knowledge), but still be a really cool guy about it, thus not be branded an elitist.

We don't hate the accomplishments/achievements the elite have earned. We hate the attitude that they're better than everybody else and only they deserve X or Y. Even sponsored guilds like Paragon/DREAM Paragon don't necessarily merit any "elitist" hate in my book unless they purposely demean others because they think they're superior. Regardless of status, if the player(s) have a friendly attitude toward others or try to help others learn without demeaning them, then they're "elite" to me, but not "elitist".

TL;DR Version:

Elite: Has accomplishments and/or achievements that show they're clearly performing above and beyond the average player level.

Elitist: May or may not have better performance than others, but has a clear sense of self-entitlement in their attitude, and thus are despised by others for said attitude.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    Actually, most people don't mind constructive criticism, especially when it helps them succeed or do more DPS/HPS. The core issue is the entitlement attitude associated with (but not always actually there with each player) the "elitists".

The attitude earns the player the elitist stereotype/brand. You can be "elite" (meaning you're head and shoulders above the rest in terms of progress and knowledge), but still be a really cool guy about it, thus not be branded an elitist.

We don't hate the accomplishments/achievements the elite have earned. We hate the attitude that they're better than everybody else and only they deserve X or Y. Even sponsored guilds like Paragon/DREAM Paragon don't necessarily merit any "elitist" hate in my book unless they purposely demean others because they think they're superior. Regardless of status, if the player(s) have a friendly attitude toward others or try to help others learn without demeaning them, then they're "elite" to me, but not "elitist".

TL;DR Version:

Elite: Has accomplishments and/or achievements that show they're clearly performing above and beyond the average player level.

Elitist: May or may not have better performance than others, but has a clear sense of self-entitlement in their attitude, and thus are despised by others for said attitude.
    Glad to see there are about 6 or 7 of us posting here that actually know the difference between elite and elitist. The rest of you, please learn to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedansker View Post
    I think Elitists are hated because of the way they act, some elitists talk in a manner which makes them seem really rude and it's just natural that if you've met one elitist who were rude, you'll think the same of the next one you meet even if he's not even tried interacting with you or said anything rude.
    this is pretty much what it comes down to. I really have nothing against 'elites' playing the game all the time and achieving/progressing in raids etc. to each their own. it's when they start having an egotistical attitude about the whole thing. the majority of elites i meet come across as extremely conceited - not only that but they're just down right rude to everyone else who isn't of similar status. as if raid progression really makes you better than somebody else (lol). not sure if these people are 12 years old or what.

so yeah, if they're hated, it's because of how they interact with others.
    Last edited by ancat; 2011-08-06 at 02:38 AM.

They don't hate you because of the time you spend.

They hate you because you care far too much, as evidenced by this post.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's not that elitists know better, it's how most present themselves. arrogant, insistent, and rude. most are like this, not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Canicus View Post
    this is pretty much what it comes down to. I really have nothing against 'elites' playing the game all the time and achieving/progressing in raids etc. to each their own. it's when they start having an egotistical attitude about the whole thing. the majority of elites i meet come across as extremely conceited - not only that but they're just down right rude to everyone else who isn't of similar status. as if raid progression really makes you better than somebody else (lol). not sure if these people are 12 years old or what.

so yeah, if they're hated, it's because of how they interact with others.
    I was in top 50-75 US guilds for 5 years straight, and I'd actually try to give out advice in the most non-threatening ways I could. "Hey man, You know, if you changed out _____ for _____, considering that your stat priority is ________, you'd probably be better off", I'd say. And probably 90% of the time, I'd get met with "STFU Fag" or "LOL WRONG" until I became so damn bitter, that I made it my personal mission to belittle every terrible player I ever came across.

You did this to yourselves.