Thread: WoW Revert?

WoW Revert?

Will WoW ever revert back to some ofit's old ways?

I can no longer post on the WoW forums because I cancelled both my accounts a little over a month ago. Some will agree, many will disagree, but this is my final view on WoW and I hope this may even find it's way to a Blizz employees screen. I'll get flamed and bad mouthed and asked why I bothered even writing this, and it's because WoW was such big part of mylife for 5 years and i hated seeing it turning into what it has become.

Blizzard took away my drive to play by basically giving me EVERYTHING I wanted with little to no work. It wasn't a bad thing when only a very small amount of the player base ever seen the end game content. That's what fueled me to keep coming back day after day, night after night. Now I didn't care for the 40m raids, but the setup that was used in BC was very nice. You had the 5m dungeon blue sets for the novice players, then a dedicated 10m raid in Kara. From there you had the "smaller" 25m raids in Gruuls and then unto Mag. Then there were the big boy 25m raids SSC, The Eye, and BT. The progression was very nice and fun. I only seen about 3/4 of SSC, didn't see the Eye, and only the first couple bosses in BT when they were relevant. Point being, those bigger raids were like a "carrot on a stick" for me, and guess what, I seen the "content art" eventually so all that hard work the Blizz artists did was appreciated and didn't go unseen.

Will WoW ever revert back to having separate 10 player and 25 player content? Assuming we'll never see separate 10/25m raids again, will WoW ever revert back to separate lockouts? That being just as unlikely, will WoW ever go back to an intelligent way of doing heroic/hard modes in raids like they had in Ulduar, or still have the lame ON/OFF switch they currently have implemented?

The game is being ruined by all of the"improvements". Go back to what made the game great to begin with.WoW had a huge player base from Vanilla and it grew during BC even more. With WotLK and it's heavy ad campaign the subs kept growing but we started seeing a few of the "improvements" being made that actually started hurting the game. WotLK had a lot of great features, but it had a few that really hurt it as well. With the growing player base, the greater the number of QQs about something being hard, the more changes were made to cater to QQ.

Giving your hardcore raiding base a heroic ON/OFF switchis ridiculous at best. They need their own separate raid. Something the lower end guilds look to and drive to be like. You want people to strive and log on everyday to play in order to better their gear. Part of the reward in Vanilla and BC was actually just seeing the inside of some of those raids zones! Bring back the attunement quest chains, they were tedious and difficult in some cases, but it brought people in guilds together, and attunements were just another nugget that gave you a feeling of accomplishment.

Again, why wont Blizz give in a little and revert back to some of the old ways of doing things that made their game great to begin with?
    Last edited by Night fall; 2011-08-03 at 03:03 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i very much doubt blizz will go back to the old style WoW, simply because the player base has changed dramatically over the years, other games are offering fast rewrds/levelling etc, to keep abreast of the competition they need to offer as much of the game as possible to as many of the player base as possible.

I don't think the game has drastically changed that much tbh...people just get bored of it and then make up excuses as to why their bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want them to revert back to focusing exclusively on a very small portion of their customer base, you go tell the stockholders why their money is being spent on something that won't see as much use as, say, Alterac Valley.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have the same feeling . Quited back in WotLK . Vanilla was the best BC was kinda lacking the wow effect it had an WotLK killed everything for me . IMO at least

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    If you want them to revert back to focusing exclusively on a very small portion of their customer base, you go tell the stockholders why their money is being spent on something that won't see as much use as, say, Alterac Valley.
    They dont need to focus on the exclusive 2% or w/e they used to say, but I'd suspect shareholders could care less about what the players see as long as they keep playing and making they're $15 per month subscriptions. And in my 5+ years I've had a couple accounts, name changes, server transfers, bought virtual merchandise (pets, mounts), faction changes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, although you are entitled to your own views, I need to stress that your opinion does not reflect the opinion of the majority of the player base. Just because you feel WoW of the olden days is "great" doesn't mean everyone does, and therefore we all have to suffer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Night fall View Post
    Blizzard took away my drive to play by basically giving me EVERYTHING I wanted with little to no work.

Unless if you're part of the small, small minority (yes, it's a triple positive) of people who had downed Heroic Ragnaros, I fail to see how this sentence is true. But moving on...

You want people to strive and log on everyday to play in order to better their gear.
    I don't know about you, but when I see news about Paragon, Vodka, et. al., that is already very motivating. How would separate lockouts help, anyway?

Bring back the attunement quest chains, they were tedious and difficult in some cases, but it brought people in guilds together, and attunements were just another nugget that gave you a feeling of accomplishment.
    No, no, and no.

I had the misfortune, back when I am young(er) and (more) foolish, to have this idea of wanting to see heroic BC dungeons. Talk about a long-winded, tedious, "DAMMIT WHY DON'T [insert item here] DROP!" process. And all for something that doesn't really benefit you in the long run.

The current "attunement" process - getting a good enough gear set - is fine with me. At the very least, I can use it outside of the raiding environment.

Again, why wont Blizz give in a little and revert back to some of the old ways of doing things that made their game great to begin with?
    You're implying, of course, that the game is great solely (or mostly) because of the ridiculous grind. This is pure conjecture. If someone tries to sell me WoW and the main attraction is "kill ten thousand mobs in order to qualify for heroic dungeons / raids that will be obsolete once you reach level 69", I wouldn't even bother starting.
    "Oh yay! Happy little deer!
    Now they can grow up and have ADVENTURES.
    You're swell. "

- Mylune
    (aww... she said I'm swell <3 )

It wasn't a bad thing when only a very small amount of the player base ever seen the end game content.
    Stopped reading after this

I don't think the game has drastically changed that much tbh...people just get bored of it and then make up excuses as to why their bored.
    Yup, people make up their own reality in order to justify a choice that they themselves didn't really want to make, but did.

Progression doesn't go in reverse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Night fall View Post
    They dont need to focus on the exclusive 2% or w/e they used to say, but I'd suspect shareholders could care less about what the players see as long as they keep playing and making they're $15 per month subscriptions. And in my 5+ years I've had a couple accounts, name changes, server transfers, bought virtual merchandise (pets, mounts), faction changes, etc.
    Shareholders want to know their money isn't just being wasted. If Blizzard starts focusing only on the top 10-2% after making things widely accessible for so long, you'd see an even bigger plummet in subscriptions. The reason things did as well as they did in Vanilla and BC is because there was nothing that showed another take on things, and then Wrath took the accessibility route and Cata refined it.

So the shareholders may not care about the game, per se, but they do care about where their money goes and if people stop playing or if their money is just being wasted on something that won't see much use, they will say something about it and if their words fall on deaf ears, their wallets certainly won't.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

WoW had a huge player base from Vanilla
    No...no it didn't.

You are just another person who pushes the lie that "ZOMG GUYS TIME LENGTH = FUN"

No it wasn't, no it isn't, and no it will never be fun to grind 2 months for one key to enter an instance. That is not fun, that was never fun, and it will never be fun. There, I stated it twice. People who keep saying: "DERP IT WAS FUN DOING THE EYE ATTUNEMENT QUEST BECAUSE OF HOW HARD IT IS" are being INCREDIBLY disingenuous.

I played starting about 2 months before AQ20/40 was released. And the reason the game was fun was because it was knew. The unknown factor made the game amazing. I stepped into BWL for the first time and Razorgore's room had me staring in awe. But it wasn't because the instance's mechanics itself were amazing. Hell, the 3 dragon bosses in BWL were carbon copies of each other with 1 mechanic difference.

Bring back the attunement quest chains, they were tedious and difficult in some cases, but it brought people in guilds together, and attunements were just another nugget that gave you a feeling of accomplishment.
    People were happy because the grind was over. Not because the grind was fun. There's a HUGE difference that people like you and those who argue this point don't seem to understand.