Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    One other thing... the evidence that they sold food out of the back of their van behind a grocery store?

Come on. That isn't just shady, that's like... cartoon shady. Like if somebody told me that someone was actually doing that, I would laugh at them.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePalidius View Post
    food, healthy, unpoisoned, no, and if you just believe what the government tells you, just because they are the government and must have reasons, without asking what these reasons are, you are failing in logic and discovery of the truth miserably.
    or here's a thought.. if you don't like the rules.. go through the proper process of changing them.. don't try to circumvent them and then cry like a little girl when you get caught..

a small farm selling products to a dozen or so people is one thing.. but this is a huge company that is pushing products illegally..

I feel like this is only one side of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    judging by the total lack of information I would have to say this is probably because this country has laws that regulate food being sold to the general public in large quantities.. the FDA (which has absolutely nothing to do with the patriot act) has ridiculous regulations on all sorts of food products primarily to keep people safe..

milk sold in large quantities is required to be "homogenized" which basically makes it safe to drink... I guess you can think of it as drinking water from a stream.. the water may be crystal clear and perfect in every way.. but unless you have the ability to prove that first.. you probably still want to add the drop of bleach or boil it first before drinking it..

not to mention there are probably issues with illegal immigrants working at these farms.. which is a whole other set of problems

but no.. the patriot act deals with international threats.. so if you're making calls from the USA to your terrorist friends in afghanistan.. you might get caught! of course you can still call your terrorist friends in Oregon without being monitored though..

bolded section 1. research the effects of the homogenization process please, it only prolongs the expiration date, and makes milk produced in highly unsanitary massproduction plants, safe to drink.

bolded section 2. illegal immigrant workers, was not an official charge by the d.a.

rawsome foods was a local private by contract food supplier (within accordance to all applicable laws) it would be unwise to assume because they were charged, that they are guilty. arent we supposed to be innocent untill proven guilty based on the law? logic says the burden of proof is on the claim maker, ex. the government to prove guilt.

dont act like people arent falsely taken to jail, and charged on an almost daily basis.

rawsome foods was a local private by contract food supplier (within accordance to all applicable laws) it would be unwise to assume because they were charged, that they are guilty. arent we supposed to be innocent untill proven guilty based on the law? logic says the burden of proof is on the claim maker, ex. the government to prove guilt.

dont act like people arent falsely taken to jail, and charged on an almost daily basis.
    All applicable laws? You said yourself that they didn't have permits.

no these are false accusations by law enforcement that will not hold up in court. but the fact that they raided them, stole their money, product, and business materials, will undoubtedly put them out of business.
    this is a strong arm tactic by government, on behalf of big agraculture, to stomp out any competition in business. raw foods are the healthiest period, all store bought foods are gmo infested. GMO (genetically modified organizm) are known to cause permanent infertility after 3 generations in rats. no official human studies have been done.

watch this documentary, food inc. for more information on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEu27wZZtHI
    Raw foods are not the healthiest food, cooked foods are. Now, natural food (as in no preservatives or anything) are healthier.

Dairy products in the United States are required to be pasteurized. It's rare, but people do die from unpasturized dairy -- they're bacteria havens, to say nothing of the fact that the unfortunate anatomy of a cow means there's almost always some E.coli contamination. In California, you actually can sell raw dairy products, but you have to have permits and inspections this organization didn't have. I'm uncertain why anyone would want to buy raw milk, but I most certainly can't understand why anyone would want to buy raw milk from a facility that doesn't meet sanitation requirements.

this is a strong arm tactic by government, on behalf of big agraculture, to stomp out any competition in business. raw foods are the healthiest period, all store bought foods are gmo infested. GMO (genetically modified organizm) are known to cause permanent infertility after 3 generations in rats. no official human studies have been done.
    This is one half conspiracy, and the other half nonsense. You will find no scientific studies to the effect that 'raw foods are the healthiest.' NaturalNews is a website which deals almost exclusively in pseudo-scientific notions, and is a source of great amusement to those in the skeptical community. You are in need of some reason, my good sir, and it starts with recognizing that milk brimming with bacteria and cow shit is not, in fact, the best thing in the world.

Deleted
    SNIP
    To me, it sounds like they were raided for selling food that did not pass basic hygiene and safety standards. The raid seems excessive but they were breaking the law. We need more solid info though before we can make an informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    That sounds like a long list of legitimate reasons to conduct a raid and make some arrests. It doesn't matter if it's 'healthy and unpoisoned,' you need a permit to sell food. You need special permits to sell unpasteurized dairy, and many states don't even go that far, just banning it altogether.

No offense, but this whole thing has the same stink that I get when I see PETA making an activist-related press release. It's the same thing there - don't get me wrong, I love animals, just like in this case, I certainly love food - but many activist groups have this thing about sensationalizing and twisting the truth of a story until it's twisted and unrecognizable.
    This. If the law was you can't whistle Britney Spears songs, regardless of the reason or legitimacy of that, its still against the law to do that action. Get the law changed if you really want to do that.
    "I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

Yea just read up on this. How about you try to link a credible source, not a ridiculously biased one? They broke the law and are paying for it. You just seem to be a conspiracy theorist trying to bash the government. Go find some ACTUAL bad things the government does, and attack that. But your harping on a (legitmate) arrest of owners of a food store? Really?

---------- Post added 2011-08-06 at 12:47 PM ----------

That sounds like a long list of legitimate reasons to conduct a raid and make some arrests. It doesn't matter if it's 'healthy and unpoisoned,' you need a permit to sell food. You need special permits to sell unpasteurized dairy, and many states don't even go that far, just banning it altogether.

No offense, but this whole thing has the same stink that I get when I see PETA making an activist-related press release. It's the same thing there - don't get me wrong, I love animals, just like in this case, I certainly love food - but many activist groups have this thing about sensationalizing and twisting the truth of a story until it's twisted and unrecognizable.
    This. "Yeah ok, we were doing something illegal but it's ok! We promise! Hey look the government is bad!"

/eyeroll

---------- Post added 2011-08-06 at 12:49 PM ----------

raw foods are the healthiest period, all store bought foods are gmo infested. GMO (genetically modified organizm) are known to cause permanent infertility after 3 generations in rats. no official human studies have been done.
    And this is just ridiculous. First off, your use of the world ALL immediately disqualifies any merit your statement might have had. Fortunately, it doesn't have any merit anyways.

First police beats up homeless man in Cali and kill him, now they raid a raw food store. Damn they must be running out of ideas on what to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I feel like we aren't getting the whole story?

Oh for the love of crap. Watch the video.
    "We want raw dairy, they want to pasteurize our dairy!"

Do people realize that all dairy is required by law to be pasteurized in the United States unless you have a special license? It's why our cheese will never be as good as it is in Europe, but seriously.

And the whole 'they were never read their rights!' bit? The only people saying that this happened are the raw food activists. There are no other witnesses, no way to disprove this claim, only heresay.
    you are claiming that because somebody seems silly to you that they are wrong?

bolded section, there is no proof for a lack of license, only a claim that there is a lack of license.

the end of your statement is true, its just conjecture.

in regards to the bolded section, California is not a state that its banned in, and there is no proof for a lack of a permit.
    if you use logic, you cannot come to a conclusion yet. assumptions are failed logic, a crutch for lacking effort in finding actual truth and fact.

QUOTE=Butler Log;12592701]If there is a law against selling unpasteurised dairy produce without a specific license, and they sold unpasteurised dairy produce without said licensse, they really had it coming IMO.[/QUOTE]

i agree, but untill they are convicted, nobody can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Patcarnig View Post
    So they were breaking the law and are now paying the price, nothing to see here, move on people.
    you assume they were breaking the law. what is your basis for this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by bone123 View Post
    they do stuff against the law and complaining about being shut down?
    what is your basis for this conclusion?

One other thing... the evidence that they sold food out of the back of their van behind a grocery store?

Come on. That isn't just shady, that's like... cartoon shady. Like if somebody told me that someone was actually doing that, I would laugh at them.
    What evidence proving they sold food out of the back of a van, from what i can see, there is only a claim that they did that, not actual evidence. but then again im not privey to the information, being as there is a gag order.

All applicable laws? You said yourself that they didn't have permits.
    check again, did i personally claim this? or did i post a direct quote from the district attorney? and even then does the fact somebody was charged make them guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Raw foods are not the healthiest food, cooked foods are. Now, natural food (as in no preservatives or anything) are healthier.
    can you substantiate your claim that cooked foods are healthier than uncooked?

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    To me, it sounds like they were raided for selling food that did not pass basic hygiene and safety standards. The raid seems excessive but they were breaking the law. We need more solid info though before we can make an informed opinion.
    only logical claim made in this entire thread since i posted it.

Deleted
    Wow, i was not flamed for my statement, makes a change. I shall open my first beer of the night early to celebrate.

bolded section, there is no proof for a lack of license, only a claim that there is a lack of license.

in regards to the bolded section, California is not a state that its banned in, and there is no proof for a lack of a permit.
    if you use logic, you cannot come to a conclusion yet. assumptions are failed logic, a crutch for lacking effort in finding actual truth and fact.
    ...do you have proof that they DO have a license? If they did, they wouldn't of gotten raided. They were selling food deemed unhealthy illegally. I'm not sure how it gets more straight-forward than that.

only logical claim made in this entire thread since i posted it.
    No. People have been perfectly logical. You are LOOKING for a problem that's really not there, and you are trying to back it up with ridiculous claims and biased information.

Deleted
    People often look for conspiracies, when often the most simple answer is the correct one.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sharon Ann Palmer, 51 (dob 04/14/1960), James Cecil Stewart, 64 (dob 07/26/1947) and Eugenie Victoria Bloch, 58 (03/17/1953) were charged in a 13-count complaint, BA 385253, which includes four conspiracy counts. Stewart and Bloch were expected to appear in Department 30 in the Foltz Criminal Justice Center Thursday for arraignment, said Deputy District Attorney Kelly Sakir of the District Attorney’s Environmental Law Section. Palmer’s arraignment hearing has not been set.

Palmer owns Healthy Family Farms, LLC, in Santa Paula, which prosecutors allege has operated without any type of license or permit for milk production since 2007. The business Healthy Family Farms and Palmer are charged in nine of the 13 counts. Bloch works for Palmer and is charged in three conspiracy counts.

Stewart runs the Venice market Rawesome, which has been in operation for more than six years but has never had any type of business permit or license, prosecutors allege. Stewart is facing 13 counts.

During a year-long investigation, investigators made undercover purchases of unpasteurized dairy products from Healthy Family Farms stands at Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara county farmers markets and at Rawesome. The products included unpasteurized goat milk, cheese, yogurt and kefir.

The investigation found that Healthy Family Farms and Rawesome customers were required to pay a membership fee of up to $50, or purchase a one-time “day pass” at Rawesome to purchase products there. Bloch reportedly informed undercover operatives that the membership payments and paperwork were needed for “legal” reasons, and they were not supposed to sell dairy products to nonmembers.

In a case cited in the 21-page complaint, an undercover investigator received goat milk, stored in a cooler in the back of Healthy Family Farms van, in the parking lot of a grocery store.

While it is lawful to manufacture and sell unpasteurized dairy products in California, applicable licenses and permits are required. These include regular veterinarian inspections of the animals and following equipment and sanitation requirements.

a direct quote from the district attorney's office. http://da.co.la.ca.us/mr/default.htm

the truth about said raid will come out.
    looks like the truth is they needed fuckin permits like every other business in this country...

Death improves everyone's reputation...

All business licenses are a matter of public record and can be looked up by anybody by visiting a government office. The police could not lie about them not having a license if they tried.

I know this for an absolute, positive, 100% fact, because I have looked up these sorts of licenses before for news stories. You have to go down to an office and look up the junk yourself in many cases due to woefully outdated computer systems, but it is all there.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-08-06 at 05:10 PM.

raw and unpasteurized milk is illegal to sell in the states without accompanying permits. They broke the law and were arrested.

I don’t really care enough to really read into this story but I’m willing to bet the reason they got raided is because they didn’t have a permit rather than the government gets off on taking away civil liberties as that ridiculous article implies