Deleted

Intel Smart Response Technology

Basically I'm thinking about getting it with my new system, but is it worth it? I've seen some demonstrations and sometimes it doesn't seem to increase loading times much. What do all you guys think?

There's a good review of it here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/i...caching-review

SRT is great for SSD's of 64GB or smaller... you can notice huge performance boosts for booting windows and loading all your games, even though 64GB isn't nearly enough to store all of that. It caches all the small frequently used files on the SSD, and leaves the large sequential files up to the HDD where there isn't as much of a performance difference.

According to the review, WoW loading times were cut in half.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Do you think 30gb would be enough? I was looking for the cheapest of SSD's to use this tech ;D

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikrui View Post
    Do you think 30gb would be enough? I was looking for the cheapest of SSD's to use this tech ;D
    Not if you want windows + wow on it. My wow folder is over 30gigs I think.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    SRT was really designed with small SSDs in mind that weren't capable of hosting an entire OS.

But with SSDs becoming increasingly affordable and larger, SRT has become somewhat obsolete as having a dedicated system SSD is significantly than relying on SRT.

In terms of storage solutions: SSD > SRT (HDD + SSD merged into one) > Hybrid drive (Momentus XT series) > HDD (classic hard drives)

---------- Post added 2011-08-08 at 09:36 PM ----------

In theory, yes.

SRT basically merges two mechanical drives into one and uses the SSD as a form of Cache. It's not quite as awesome as having a dedicated SSD for your OS, but it's a viable half-way solution. I'm not sure how it affects the longevity of the drive, but I don't think it's an issue.

30GB is plenty for SRT. It doesn't load it up with large files... mostly small frequently used ones. The performance difference between HDD's and SSD's is a lot smaller for large sequential files. Where SSD's really shine are for loading the OS or games, etc, where a gillion (yes a gillion) small files are loaded from all over the place, which are the kind of files that SRT will cache on the SSD. It's still better to get a large SSD and put all games/applications on it directly, but SRT comes pretty close to that with a much cheaper/smaller drive.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.