Poll: Which do you prefer: Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

LotR - it has awesome panoramic landscapes, the natural beauty of our world, while SW is CG mostly or desert shots. But anyway it would be odd if results for this poll would be different, WoW is fantasy for the most part after all, not sci-fi.

Lord of the rings for certain,
    star wars was a very close second, UNTILL they went into Episode 1-3, they ruined the saga in my eyes.
    Heres hopeing that the hobbit does justice to the Lord of the rings world

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted Star Wars without a moment's hesitation.

Kind of odd, since I'm a huge fan of fantasy books, and I have no intention of leaving WoW for SWTOR. I just never found the LotR series entertaining, books or movies.

OT: In case anyone asks how I could like fantasy books, but not LotR books, I prefer Wheel of Time, Memory Sorrow & Thorn, The Sword of Truth, Malazan Book of the Fallen, etc. Each of them longer then the LotR series, and with far less boring parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither are super awesome but I chose Star Wars simply because I actually made it thru all 6 and never once was able to watch a LotR movie, all the way through.

Deleted
    lotr Ftw , Only thing i have to say about it

You forgot to put Harry Potter there.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no such a thing as better! They are two different genres. In my books they equal, but I am more of a sci-fi person so yeh .... Most people here are mainly pure fantasy fans (like dungeon's and dragons if you know what I mean)...

---------- Post added 2011-08-13 at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Star Wars isn't really sci-fi. Real sci-fi is Star Trek and the lesser known IPs, Star Wars is more "fantasy in space", considering the themes.
    Yes and no. Star Wars is in the Fantasy-Sci-Fi genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    such a close call :S

I'd say as a STORY and as a FILM Lord of the rings wins hands down. Just comparing LoTR to Original Trilogy I think LoTR wins every time.

but as a FRANCHISE Star Wars is a behemoth, and there's very little in this world that can get close.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    They were both decent for the age I watched them. But if I'd have to choose, I'd say Lord of the Rings hands down. Even though I think the book was better then the movies, LotR still wins. ..and just as an observation: Star Trek is Sci-fi; Star Wars is just a fantasy story put in a space environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    You forgot to put Harry Potter there.
    Harry Potter movies weren't really that good, not something that will be remembered for what it is, a movie, not like LoTR and SW. The only good HP movies imo were the 4th and the 2nd part of the 7th.

(and yes I read all the books and I love Harry Potter but the movies cannot be compared to LoTR and SW.)

Lord of the Rings vs every movie in the world and I chose Lord of the Rings of course...

the poll alone is insult to lord of the rings...how you dare putting it in the same value as star wars?

I could say Lord of the rings vs Braveheart but Star wars?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Harry Potter movies weren't really that good, not something that will be remembered for what it is, a movie, not like LoTR and SW. The only good HP movies imo were the 4th and the 2nd part of the 7th.
    Well tbh, the OP started the thread with:
    Quote Originally Posted by quosk1867 View Post
    The big question with two of the biggest film series' there are.
    Harry Potter is bigger (speaking of box office) than both LoTR and SW combined.

I suspect that if Lord of the Rings had another 4 films it would push ahead of Harry Potter

Oh gosh, I admit I'm not a big fan of either (please don't hurt me) but I would have to say Star Wars ...
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

As far as the films go, LOTR is SLIGHTLY better than SW 4-6.

As far as story goes, I'd say Star Wars. There is so much more in the expanded universe.

By the way, Star Wars is not Sci-Fi. Its a space fantasy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star wars will always be my favorite, probably because I grew up watching it every day.

I wonder what kind of movies a person who doesn't like LoTR/SW likes.
    Twilight I'm sure.

I really enjoyed both but I'm more of the sci-fi guy so Star Wars.

Lord of the rings is a fantasy movie, but attempts to show "realisticness", but is really really bad at it. Star wars is sci-fi / space fantasy and does a great job at it. Also mmo are usualy fantasy so lord of the rings is going to top. why did you even bother? lol@bad movie though seriously

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have to say that Star Wars is without a doubt the better movie series, but Lord of the Rings is by far the better story. Both are absolutely amazing though, too bad Jackson felt he had to/had the right to change so much from the books (ie Aragorn being unwilling to be king of Gondor in the movies, but wanted to be in the books. Just one example there are far more). Also I'm basing this off of all 6 Star Wars movies, people tend to focus too much on Jar-jar and young anakin when talking about the newer movies. Just ignore them and the series is actually quite good, still not as good as the original but hey still very good. Revenge of the Sith is, imo, the 2nd best Star Wars movie.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy