Poll: Which do you prefer: Star Wars or Lord of the Rings?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Harry potter. Wait what?

15+ Year Old Account
    LotR, no contest imo.

Jackson and co. changed so little from the books

There is only one Return, and its of the Jedi

I love both. As a movie, Lord of the Rings. As for the lore and universe, Star Wars no question.

Could probably watch the lotr movies again over star wars. It may have been just running throgh a field most of the time, but star wars was more boring.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. This is like choosing between a hot blonde and a hot brunette! I want both dammit and I will have both! Why choose which is better when they are so different?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    Well tbh, the OP started the thread with:

Harry Potter is bigger (speaking of box office) than both LoTR and SW combined.
    *SW has 6 movies (the first 3 were in the 70s or 80s, I forget, before major $$$ inflation)
    *LoTR has 3 movies.

*Harry Potter has EIGHT movies, and is much more recent than both SW and LoTR. Nowadays, $$$ is so inflated that it is unfair to compare today's movies box office to the box office of movies in the past.

Yes, HP may have made more money, but there is no way HP is "better" than either LoTR or SW.

Apple and oranges my friend. These are two movies that are in two different genres. If I had to pick my favorite then I would choose star wars.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Which Star Wars are talking about here?

If it's 4,5 and 6 I'd have to say I'd go for both.

If it's 1,2 and 3 I'd have to say Lord of the Rings easy.

---------- Post added 2011-08-15 at 05:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Jackson and co. changed so little from the books
    Thats a complete lie, they changed so much from the books and added some really stupid stuff.

Lord of the Rings, easily.

Star Wars is only a single step above unwatchable(and in episode 1, they DID take that last step into unwatchable).

Oh, and to that dude above, "dirty and grimy" does not make something not sci-fi, no matter what some goof wrote on Wikipedia. Star Wars is sci-fi, plain and simple. You can argue it's fantasy, but if that's the case, EVERY fucking fictional movie is a "fantasy" movie.
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2011-08-15 at 05:33 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    =( I can't pick. For me the two just have vastly different strengths. Now, of course they have strikingly similarities as well -- but I could never make the choice to pick Aragorn over Han Solo, or Mary\Pippin over R2D2\C3P0...well, maybe over C3P0...but R2 saves the duo. =P It's a tie for me!
    Almost Epic - Short Stories and Musings of nearly epic proportions.

I like both, as I'm sure most people do, but LoTR is better by far IMO, it is just too damn awesome and even though they weren't 100% faithful to the books (which is very hard to do of course) the amount of work put into making those as perfect as possible is something a lot of people don't realize about the films. What makes the LoTR story so grand is that it tells many stories within one, and they all actually relate and make you actually care.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    I love both. As a movie, Lord of the Rings. As for the lore and universe, Star Wars no question.
    I'm sorry, but the lore in the Lord of the Rings universe cant be beat. Have you read the books?

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but really, read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    I'm sorry, but the lore in the Lord of the Rings universe cant be beat. Have you read the books?

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but really, read the books.
    I have. Star Wars has richer lore in my opinion. Especially with the EU stuff.

Deleted
    Lord of the Rings, no contest.

Deleted
    You can't really compare them, since LotR are from the 00s and the 3 oldest star wars movies are from late 70s and early 80s.

But i prefer star wars... Definitely one of the most epic movies I've ever seen

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't choose >.<
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Deleted
    Can't choose really, but I find LOTR to be overhyped by many. I didn't even enjoy the books that much.

Then again taling into acount the aboninations of EP1 and EP2 ...

Meh, who cares. Opinions are opinions, and I'll gladly watch both.