Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I hope Wildstar does succeed. Is it likely? Statistics tell me no.
    Source? Out of curiosity.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    ESO doesnt seem like it will do good either its another generic GW2 rip-off but set in the Elder Scrolls universe
    This is slightly off topic, but I agree. I think this wave had a lot of potential and didn't live up to it. While I'm not looking for anything to topple WoW, I would like to see a AAA MMO have enough mass appeal and staying power to keep it's payment model and updates for the long haul if only to reinforce that the genre is thriving in the face of people who think it isn't.

Unfortunately these games may go F2P, which doesn't really mean anything while many people will use it to instantly deride a game they were trumpeting as the savior of the genre. I guess I would rather these companies set the bar at realistic from the get go to prevent the whiplash criticism we see in F2P games.

But I could be very wrong and both of these games could be smash hits. We just won't know until 3-9 months after release.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    *snip*
    Personally, what I am waiting for is a AAA MMO that launches with a well thought out F2P model and can be trumpeted as proof the system works.

Although we all know it would be considered the exception to the rule by people who hate the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Drew View Post
    Source? Out of curiosity.
    Every post-WoW subscription based major MMO except for FFXIV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Personally, what I am waiting for is a AAA MMO that launches with a well thought out F2P model and can be trumpeted as proof the system works.

Although we all know it would be considered the exception to the rule by people who hate the model.
    I mean that's really what I meant, but I didn't want to openly declare that in this thread because people are unusually sensitive with it about this game. I do think going for it up front, at least being B2P, would prove to be successful over time. Unfortunately the cash grab of box + the 'gotcha' long term first year subs is too lucrative to pass up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah. And to be honest I think it's their different culture both in business and in society, coupled with the fact that their company has a different financial structure and doesn't need to 'make bank' with FFXIV that allows them to run it as a premium service with a small base. I think that is also the reason EVE has done a similar thing for so long. In their case 'culture' = spreadsheet space nerds.
    BAD WOLF

Ok cool. So sub is on the rise.

I'm giving it to EVE as well. Even though it release before WoW it is one of the few thats lasting post-WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Drew View Post
    Ok cool. So sub is on the rise.
    1 for 10 or so is a good ratio : P

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I'm giving it to EVE as well. Even though it release before WoW it is one of the few thats lasting post-WoW.
    It's also a dramatically different game going after a dramatically different audience. Like, it's not really in direct competition with WoW any more than Starcraft is in direct competition with Devil May Cry. Yes, they're both games, but they're vastly different genres.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

F2P model that has a true subscription option would work wonders. I don't want to be bothered by anything in game pointing me to a cash shop, i dont want to have to make free microtransactions to get normal game play items.

There are people who like F2P and like buying stuff as they go and don't mind the things that come along with that. I personally dislike those things very much and am willing to pay a monthly amount to not have to deal with it.

EQNext has the opportunity to be what you are looking for, it will be interesting to see how it pans out in the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    F2P model that has a true subscription option would work wonders. I don't want to be bothered by anything in game pointing me to a cash shop, i dont want to have to make free microtransactions to get normal game play items.
    Sadly, not going to happen. Even WoW has an integrated cash shop on top of their mandatory subscription. Games are a business, and when you have a very profitable longterm revenue source like a cash shop it becomes extremely difficult to ignore such a potent revenue stream.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    The beta key giveaways are unfair as well for this game because of all the bots and selling >.>
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

The beta key giveaways are unfair as well for this game because of all the bots and selling >.>
    It's like that for every game that gives away keys to randomly selected folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like that for every game that gives away keys to randomly selected folks.
    Blizzard just recently fixed this issue by assigning beta access to a BNet account.

And honestly, this isn't even full proof. If you dont have any games attached to your bnet account, the account could be sold without the seller losing a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Blizzard just recently fixed this issue by assigning beta access to a BNet account.

And honestly, this isn't even full proof. If you dont have any games attached to your bnet account, the account could be sold without the seller losing a cent.
    You posted the exact counter-argument I was about to make. It's no better or worse than how its done anywhere else.

Deleted
    You posted the exact counter-argument I was about to make. It's no better or worse than how its done anywhere else.
    most other games dont do friend codes.. what a crappy idea that was imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    most other games dont do friend codes.. what a crappy idea that was imo.
    I disagree. I know people who have indeed given their friend codes to...their friends! Even without them, people would still be selling keys.

This game looks so great. Everything I hear about this game is great. 40 man raids, the fpsmmorpg style of controls, only 8 core abilities, loads of customizability, very active combat of "dodge that fire", grindy, not f2p/p2w...

The only problem I have with it is that it keeps getting delayed and I will never get a beta invite.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Yea most people in the livestreams and the give aways say that you have a higher chance of winning a lottery then getting a wildstar key
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea most people in the livestreams and the give aways say that you have a higher chance of winning a lottery then getting a wildstar key
    Embellishment to the extreme.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Highly unlikely if you ask me . I'd be a millionaire judging by all the betas i've been in the past 4 years then.