It wasn’t that wow was good or bad in comparison to today, its that some people react badly to change in their chosen environment, they just can’t handle change. It goes back to the caveman really, if their environment changed it could cause them great hardship or out right death. These changes include the river drying up, a flash flood, long term drought, a wolf pack moving into the area, the animals they hunt for food leaving and not coming back or a rival tribe of cavemen intruding upon their living space.

Some people are flexible and can adapt to change and some people roll their eyes back, pull at their ears double fisted and run away screaming into the night.

These people will come in flocks to wildstar with the promise of old style wow play including a 40 man raid. I can guaran-fuckin-tee you that the 40 man raid will be changed to a smaller size because Wildstar has to learn the hard way why it didn’t work in the first place and once Wildstar starts to change, as it will have to, then these same people will go screaming bloody murder across the internet in the most annoying way possible. How do I know this? Because people who hate change are predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I am struggling with this same thing. I, too, hope Wildstar does it ... at this point I don't care what game it is! I just want to get the old gang together. I would even go back to WoW (gasp!).

As an old-schooler, I like my MM in my MMORPGs ... which is why I don't understand the allure for LFD, LFR and solo progression. In EQ you could rarely even level by yourself! Not saying that THAT was the best design but at the time it was amazing. Every day you'd meet new people! I have way more fun when I am playing with people, new or old ... so this push for a total solo experience just leaves me scratching my head.

BUT I digress
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_Test

People game for massively different reasons, and it's a common habit for people of one persuasion to not understand how anyone has different motivations from their own.

I've been playing MMORPG's since EQ1. The reason I got into MMO's in the first place had nothing, and I absolutely mean nothing, to do with the prospect of playing with other players. I did grow up playing fighting games, four-player Goldeneye, Starfox, Mario Kart, etc, with a roomful of buddies, so I do like playing games with friends. But what drew me to MMO's was the prospect of playing a RPG in a living, persistent world. Obviously that would be populated with other other people, but that has nothing to do with me socializing with them. It just adds to the immersion, like when I go to the store IRL, and there are cars driving down the street, and other people going about their business shopping and stuff.

On that Bartle test I score 87% "Explorer". I just like roaming the countryside and finding stuff, mostly by myself. I like to do things by myself. And yeah, I love MMO's because they give a hugely expansive game world, coupled with the immersion that there are other people existing in the same world. AI has a long way to go before a single-player game will be able to give that same experience.

So yeah, just different types of people out there. That's why MMO's get so much controversy and fighting over them--people don't recognize that others are playing for fundamentally different reasons than them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    It wasn’t that wow was good or bad in comparison to today, its that some people react badly to change in their chosen environment, they just can’t handle change. It goes back to the caveman really, if their environment changed it could cause them great hardship or out right death. These changes include the river drying up, a flash flood, long term drought, a wolf pack moving into the area, the animals they hunt for food leaving and not coming back or a rival tribe of cavemen intruding upon their living space.

Some people are flexible and can adapt to change and some people roll their eyes back, pull at their ears double fisted and run away screaming into the night.

These people will come in flocks to wildstar with the promise of old style wow play including a 40 man raid. I can guaran-fuckin-tee you that the 40 man raid will be changed to a smaller size because Wildstar has to learn the hard way why it didn’t work in the first place and once Wildstar starts to change, as it will have to, then these same people will go screaming bloody murder across the internet in the most annoying way possible. How do I know this? Because people who hate change are predictable.
    Get OFF the wildstar thread if you don't like it ya dummy. Haters gonna hate.

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2014-03-06 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awebz View Post
    Get OFF the wildstar thread if you don't like it ya dummy. Haters gonna hate.
    Get off the internet if you can read but don't ever learn to understand what you are reading. I never said anything about hating wildstar. It's not my fault you are incapable of understanding a discussion, that's on you. There is no reason to call someone a dummy just because you don't understand what is going on around you.

Also there is no sign on the front door that says you can't comment on an MMO thread if you don't like it, everyone is welcome to like or dislike a game based on their own personal experiences and talk about it how ever they so choose. You are not the person who decides if a comment is allowed on a thread so don't bother wasting your time policing the forums because that is not your responcibility. Spend a little more time comprehending and less time making knee-jerk reactions and acting like the internet cop.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a massive release of closed beta codes on alienware, that to me indicates that they are close to an open beta.
    >>Where<<, not was. . Seems all 50,000 they had are gone (30K last week, 20K this week.) Also appears Alienware said (on their Twitter feed) that there arn't going to be any more Weekend Beta keys for awhile... They way they had said it though, was a little confusing. Not sure if it was that they are not getting any more keys for awhile, if it WildStar wasn't going to be giving any more out.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just that people want the good things they liked about Vanilla WoW mixed into a more modern package when they're hyping about Wildstar comparing it to Vanilla, instead of just wanting the exact same thing :P
    Though for sure there's also the nostalgia-army that just want to feel that feeling they had when they first played Vanilla in their springtime of youth, which is probably not going to happen.

Personally I'm only going in as Wildstars combat-system is the only one similar to Teras combat-system, which I loved to bits. But sadly Tera was pretty shit apart from the awesomesauce combat.

Here's to hoping I'll get a game that's overall better than Tera but still has comparable combat. And from the few weekend-tests I can say that it's pretty damn close.

I'm not really for or against the 40man raiding thing.... I can understand the issues it will probably have but I can also see how damn epic it will probably be for however long it's going to last.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2014-03-05 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    I think it's just that people want the good things they liked about Vanilla WoW mixed into a more modern package when they're hyping about Wildstar comparing it to Vanilla, instead of just wanting the exact same thing :P
    Though for sure there's also the nostalgia-army that just want to feel that feeling they had when they first played Vanilla in their springtime of youth, which is probably not going to happen.

Personally I'm only going in as Wildstars combat-system is the only one similar to Teras combat-system, which I loved to bits. But sadly Tera was pretty shit apart from the awesomesauce combat.

Here's to hoping I'll get a game that's overall better than Tera but still has comparable combat. And from the few weekend-tests I can say that it's pretty damn close.

I'm not really for or against the 40man raiding thing.... I can understand the issues it will probably have but I can also see how damn epic it will probably be for however long it's going to last.
    I always felt Tera's combat system was what mmo's of the future should aspire to.

15+ Year Old Account
    I always felt Tera's combat system was what mmo's of the future should aspire to.
    Indeed.

Too bad the Elins freaked me and and the extreme grindyness got boring after a while. And as hard as MC HC was it was still only 5man which is not much for endgame Though apparently theres more content now.

I dont mind games being grindy but in TERAs case it was a bit extreme along with the RNG that was enchanting/MWing your gear. Plus the huge difference the gear actually made was a bit too huge.

Here's to hoping Wildstar will end up doing the endgame in a better way. But theres honestly now way of knowing before I try it out myself as speculations and predictions will always be just speculations and predictions.

Basically I want WoW with TERAs combat... or something similar to that.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2014-03-06 at 07:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    I don't think semi-indie developer Carbine will be able to compete with their AAA quality competition, Bethesda and Blizzard... But we'll see.
    From what I've seen ESO is a very.... different kind of MMO compared to WoW or Wildstar.
    WoW is in a league of its own, obviously... but it's already very old while Wildstar is something like a "breath of fresh air" even if at their core they are very similar.

And both Bethesda and Blizzard were both small studios at some point as well.

However, as I said in my previous post, speculations and predictions will be just that in the end, just speculations and predictions :P We will see what's going to go down once the Wildstar is released.

Personally I'm very hopeful for Wildstar, but who knows what'll happen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of freedom to move while performing skills? Being locked to position is a massive no for me, Tera's combat was shit, it felt like a 90s Street Fighter game.

Deleted
    Hey guys I grabbed a beta key yesterday from Alienware, anyone knows when it'll be possible to play with it? I'm really really curious about the game! Was more hyped about Wildstar then ESO in the first place but ESO blew my mind the past weekend, so I'm desperately waiting for Wildstar to surprise me even more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    Hey guys I grabbed a beta key yesterday from Alienware, anyone knows when it'll be possible to play with it? I'm really really curious about the game! Was more hyped about Wildstar then ESO in the first place but ESO blew my mind the past weekend, so I'm desperately waiting for Wildstar to surprise me even more
    I'm guessing it's this weekend.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Lack of freedom to move while performing skills? Being locked to position is a massive no for me, Tera's combat was shit, it felt like a 90s Street Fighter game.
    I did not think the animation-lock was that bad and there were ways to play around it at least as an Archer.
    But yeah, it was not perfect in that sense but it was still the best combat I've experienced in an MMO. Felt especially rewarding as an Archer in PvP... Hitting all my big-hitters while dodging/juking/baiting all of theirs in 1vs1s against other Archers was great.

Wildstars is slightly similar with the aiming and it doesnt even have animation-lock, how great is that?

EDIT: And yeah, if you got the key from Alienware it's indeed for this weekend, starting from 3pm (15:00) GMT/UTC on Friday unless I'm mistaken.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2014-03-06 at 09:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wildstars is slightly similar with the aiming and it doesnt even have animation-lock, how great is that?
    It does for some classes/abilities.

The combat is one of the only positives in this game, but it is slightly ruined by the glowy effects. It's fine for solo playing, but utter shit in PVP and can be annoying in group play. Turning it off leaves you at a disadvantage, so why would anyone do that.

The epilepsy warning for this game will be through the roof lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    It does for some classes/abilities.

The combat is one of the only positives in this game, but it is slightly ruined by the glowy effects. It's fine for solo playing, but utter shit in PVP and can be annoying in group play. Turning it off leaves you at a disadvantage, so why would anyone do that.

The epilepsy warning for this game will be through the roof lol.
    I found it became a lot more tolerable by adjusting the opacity of the telegraphs.
    But yeah, if I had to choose I'd prefer TERAs aiming over Wildstars. But I'll take what I can get!

One other thing I kinda noticed is that the offensive abilities in WS lack a lot of impact compared to TERA... Though this could probably be fixed a bit by just replacing some of the GFX for the abilities :P

10+ Year Old Account
    One other thing I kinda noticed is that the offensive abilities in WS lack a lot of impact
    This is a huge problem for almost every MMO apart from WoW sadly. I don't know if it is just very hard to accomplish or they underestimate how important it actually is.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a huge problem for almost every MMO apart from WoW sadly. I don't know if it is just very hard to accomplish or they underestimate how important it actually is.
    Well, it's not like that for ALL the abilities.

The most glaring one is probably the Warrior's Power Strike.... You cant just feel the POWER when all you're hearing is SWOOSH SWOOSH SWOOSH like you're just cutting air. But for example Espers Concentrated Blades has a pretty nice sound-effect and impact.

Part of what made TERAs combat so satisfying was for example when you managed to land a Piercing Arrow on someone you could hear and feel the impact really well. Or for example in WoW when you land a Colossus Smash or Mortal Strike as a Warrior you can really "feel it" from the GFX.

Having gone back to Tera after GW2 I'd partially agree with you. When I first played Tera it was after Rift, so it felt like there was a lot of movement, but after having played GW2, ESO, and (non-Esper :P) Wildstar it was difficult to re-adjust to having to stand still to execute abilities.

One of the things I do prefer about Tera are their dodge abilities rather than having a universal dodge with a resource to monitor like the other games I mentioned. Each class usually has a unique method of escaping, often with an additional effect like sorcerer's Glacial Retreat or priest's Fiery Escape which, to me, adds more flavor to the gameplay. It also seems to be easier for me to mentally keep track of ability cooldowns than it is to manage a dodge resource as well.

Regardless, I still really enjoy Tera's combat and, frankly, Wildstar suffers from the same issue in some cases. Esper's the biggest culprit with its stationary builder and spellslinger also had a really nice (or at least used to be nice) ability that requires them to be stationary as well, unfortunately. I really wanted to trade out my 'auto attack' for it, but I just can't with that limitation on it.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

15+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion Esper would be borderline OP if TS was mobile as well :P
    Then again it not being mobile kinda sucks at times...

They should make it so that it does more damage if cast while standing still but you could still cast it while moving but you'd suffer a 50% damage penalty for the cast or something. Or they could just halve/remove the CD on Illusionary Blades or at least make it give 2psi at full stacks like Soothe :P

Also, I didnt really notice being "stuck in place" in TERA... It was more like not being able to move to different directions during animations, but even then the animation-lock lasted only for a really short period or in the Archers case circumvented by tapping Final Salvo to prevent the recoil from Radiant/Piercing Arrow.

I don't know anything about being locked in place to execute my abilities, I played a warrior with two weapons and I spent all my time flipping over my enemies and running behind them or leaping into swarms and spin attacking them all before leaping out of combat and running a short distance away to let my abilities recharge before repeating without taking much damage.

And as with Tera not every class has mechanics that root you.

I would like to see the big brawny race jump animation end with a solid thud to give them some wieght.