You can do the same in Eve Online, you can buy month subscriptions and sell them in game. That's DEFINITELY not a pay-to-win game. So it can be done correctly.

(OT: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08...-of-game-time/ funny news story to do with those subscriptions)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notdaface View Post
    So I'm really looking forward to the upcoming MMO wildstar

in short after reading the latest thing on their website i am now worried

You can basically buy your subscription and sell it to other players which means you can buy a lot of them sell it on to others for gold and basically buy gold.

Now this worries me because is it gonna be like WoW where having countless amounts of gold doesn't matter that much or is it going to be like other games where you can basically pay to win!!

These are my concerns, What are your guys' take on this???

Link to Wildstar website and C.R.E.D.D explained : http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/th...usiness-model/

Adam
    Of the many things Wildstar doesn't do right , atm, this is actually something that every developer should do Imo. If people have a legit way of buying gold, then even if 25% of gold buyers stop buying gold from hacked accounts its already a win scenario .

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind it... but... why does it cost more than a sub.

Tera had it up for $15 to buy a chronoscroll and sell it instead of $20, $5 more than a regular sub.

It's not pay to win. Chances are currency won't be taken too seriously other than potential gold dumps for fluff. I don't know how they'll implement it so it's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    You can do the same in Eve Online, you can buy month subscriptions and sell them in game. That's DEFINITELY not a pay-to-win game. So it can be done correctly.

(OT: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08...-of-game-time/ funny news story to do with those subscriptions)
    Damnit, Thread Merger ate my post.......and Vongimi beat me to my EvE comment.

People really need to stop thinking of it as "buying gold". You are not buying gold. You are buying GAME TIME, and the TRADING it for gold (if you wish).

This isn't even close to p2w even if you didn't have to purchase it from other players. You guys need to stop screaming p2w at everything. Pay to win is mainly an eastern MMO issue, like games where the BIS legendary items can only be aquired through the cash shop. EXP potions are not p2w. Currency exchanges are not p2w. Being able to skip grinding something is not p2w (unless the game is about grinding... I guess? Those are mainly facebook and smart phone games. MMOs tend to be about downing high end PVE. And if you throw a noob in BiS gear, he isn't going to suddenly top the DPS meter of a high ranked guild. Same could be said of arena.) At this point I think I've heard just about every MMO be called p2w. That's when you know the definition has become so broad it is meaningless. It's just a euphamism for "game I dislike" at this point.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Am i the only one actually itching for Wildstar CB4? Roll on now, the sunshine days with FF14 are over and i need something new to grip me hours a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be itching for it if I could ever get an invite. Though I am excited about the prospect of new information. Crossing my fingers for the three big beta users in this thread to come in and tell me the questing got better.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Am i the only one actually itching for Wildstar CB4? Roll on now, the sunshine days with FF14 are over and i need something new to grip me hours a week.
    I'm curious to see medic in action and I want to see what they updated since they closed beta down for a few months. I'm not expecting combat changes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    This isn't even close to p2w even if you didn't have to purchase it from other players. You guys need to stop screaming p2w at everything. Pay to win is mainly an eastern MMO issue, like games where the BIS legendary items can only be aquired through the cash shop. EXP potions are not p2w. Currency exchanges are not p2w. Being able to skip grinding something is not p2w (unless the game is about grinding... I guess? Those are mainly facebook and smart phone games. MMOs tend to be about downing high end PVE. And if you throw a noob in BiS gear, he isn't going to suddenly top the DPS meter of a high ranked guild. Same could be said of arena.) At this point I think I've heard just about every MMO be called p2w. That's when you know the definition has become so broad it is meaningless. It's just a euphamism for "game I dislike" at this point.
    Truer words have not been spoken.

The CREDD system simply does one thing: It allows people with more money on their hands then time to aquire gold in game legally, and people with more gold on their hands then real world cash to save some money buy buying their game time from someone else in game with gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the combat your biggest gripe with WildStar, zito?

More refined: I am aware you don't like that they say it's action combat but by various standards it's not action combat, but do you actually dislike the combat itself, or just that they're advertising it falsely?
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD

Is the combat your biggest gripe with WildStar, zito?
    I was expecting something different from the way they advertised it.

I did not expect mass white damage where I am required to balance my gear around RNG defense stats to counter it if I ever want to solo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see.

So what if in the next CBT the white damage is reduced, but still there?

The way I see it is, without white damage, there isn't really a reason to have tanks or healers. That's probably why they have it at all.

The fact that white attacks lack a wind up and will always hit you if you dont abuse the range detection bug sort of makes movement in combat reduced to avoiding aoe and face tanking. I suspect they will fix the AI issue that makes it so mobs over compensate for player movement, and then you will be left with just facetanking rather than exploiting. It's no different from mobs in rift or wow or swtor ect except that they use ground telegraphs more. It's a bit of a bummer but I suspect the pvp might end up being a lot more fun than the pve since that will have players, who act more like action combat than the mobs, playing against one another. The leveling expierence is extremely underwhelming so I am looking forward to seeing what the instances are like. Maybe I will just level via those instead of questing...
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

So what if in the next CBT the white damage is reduced, but still there?
    White damage is a fall back fix to uninteresting mob AI. TERA does this to an extent with trash packs of 20+ but most of the their Mob AI has something interesting you have to watch out for.

The way I see it is, without white damage, there isn't really a reason to have tanks or healers. That's probably why they have it at all.
    TERA says hi, Tanks in tera have to active mitigate incoming damage and healers are there if someone makes a mistake. Healers can also DPS in between and support if there is no damage going out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched a PvP event that someone recorded at some con and it looked RIDICULOUS. Like, it would be super friggin' difficult.

Also: do players have white damage or auto attacks at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    TERA says hi, Tanks in tera have to active mitigate incoming damage and healers are there if someone makes a mistake. Healers can also DPS in between and support if there is no damage going out.
    I've never played TERA. Actively mitigate incoming damage? Is that similar to blood shield/whateverDKsdid in WoW or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    I watched a PvP event that someone recorded at some con and it looked RIDICULOUS. Like, it would be super friggin' difficult.

Also: do players have white damage or auto attacks at all?
    it was GW2 style where you spam the 1 key for your main attack with things to use as CD's. They didn't like this so they want to remove it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never played TERA. Actively mitigate incoming damage? Is that similar to blood shield/whateverDKsdid in WoW or something?
    In TERA there are no RNG defensive stats like W*, WoW, Rift, or FF14. Block is an actual move and you hold up your shield to block attacks, same thing with dodge. Tanks have to block or dodge incoming attacks. DPS also have to do this to an extent and healers have to aim their heals. Healers also have buff and debuff moves when they attack. Mystics have orbs that heal or restore MP to allies they can do when they have downtime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh ok. Though in GW2 I remember my main attack being automatic on my ranger.

Sorry if this is bugging you, you guys talk a lot about combat and I have no frame of reference, so I'm just curious about how it works, exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    In TERA there are no RNG defensive stats like W*, WoW, Rift, or FF14. Block is an actual move and you hold up your shield to block attacks, same thing with dodge. Tanks have to block or dodge incoming attacks. DPS also have to do this to an extent and healers have to aim their heals. Healers also have buff and debuff moves when they attack. Mystics have orbs that heal or restore MP to allies they can do when they have downtime.
    So, like.. if a boss is doing a frontal cone or whatever, all the tank does is hold up his shield and he won't take damage?

So, like.. if a boss is doing a frontal cone or whatever, all the tank does is hold up his shield and he won't take damage?
    To simplify it yes, though block uses up a resource and not all moves can be blocked and it gets chaotic at higher levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh.

I don't really see how playing a healer could be a lot of fun in a game like TERA.

Then again, I don't like healing, so, maybe it's just me. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    Huh.

I don't really see how playing a healer could be a lot of fun in a game like TERA.

Then again, I don't like healing, so, maybe it's just me. /shrug
    Healers have to aim their heals at party members. It's more interactive and keeps your eyes on the action.