MoBo: Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s]x2 [Link]
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3 GHz [Link]
    RAM: G.SKILL 2x4GB SDRAM DDR3 1600 [Link]
    GFX: PNY GTX580 1.5GB GDDR5 [Link]
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB cache 3Gb/s [Link]
    PSU: Corsair TX850(w) [Link]
    Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Mid-Tower ATX [Link]
    OD: Sony CD/DVD Burner [Link]

Current Price from NewEgg: $1175 ($1235 with Win7)

(Future:
    SLI GTX580
    RAID0 with identical HDD)

As-is, will my PC allow me to run DX11 on highest graphics or will I need the SLI GTX580? (Resolution 1920x1080+)
    Last edited by conqq; 2011-08-16 at 06:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    MoBo: Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s]x2 [Link]
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3 GHz [Link]
    RAM: G.SKILL 2x4GB SDRAM DDR3 1600 [Link]
    GFX: PNY GTX580 1.5GB GDDR5 [Link]

HDD:
    Case:
    PSU:

The last 3 are blank as I'm unsure what to get. I'd like a 7200 RPM 500GB-1TB drive with future plans to buy another identical and running RAID0 (Pref 6Gb/s). Also, any thoughts on my build so far.

Current Price from NewEgg: $870
    looks good so far.
    HDD - samsung spin point 1TB
    Case - this is VERY personal preference
    PSU - I'd go with this corsair if it is in your budget

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    looks good so far.
    HDD - samsung spin point 1TB
    Case - this is VERY personal preference
    PSU - I'd go with this corsair if it is in your budget
    My goal budget is <$1200. I only want 1 HDD for now, but goal is to SLI GTX580 next year and RAID0 as well.

Also: I'm really determined on the 6Gb/s thing.

Get a samsung spinpoint f3 1tb for the hdd.. they're the fastest 7200 rpm drive (tied with caviar blacks, but those are more expensive). The Sata 3 6gb/s doesn't matter for HDD's... 7200 rpm drives don't even reach sata1 max transfer yet alone sata2.
    For psu I recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005
    case is more of a personal preference than anything... as long as it has a couple of fans it's all good :P
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Get a samsung spinpoint f3 1tb for the hdd.. they're the fastest 7200 rpm drive (tied with caviar blacks, but those are more expensive). The Sata 3 6gb/s doesn't matter for HDD's... 7200 rpm drives don't even reach sata1 max transfer yet alone sata2.
    For psu I recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005
    case is more of a personal preference than anything... as long as it has a couple of fans it's all good :P
    Alright, I wasn't aware of that. Will that PSU handle the 2 RAID0 drives & SLI GTX580 comfortably?

15+ Year Old Account
    My goal budget is <$1200. I only want 1 HDD for now, but goal is to SLI GTX580 next year and RAID0 as well.

Also: I'm really determined on the 6Gb/s thing.
    there is almost literally 0 difference from 3gb/s sata to 6gb/s sata. Only fractional difference at absolute peak read/write. enough to not even warrant using 6gb/s to be completely honest.

You are at 870+hdd = 930+psu = 1080. leave your $120.00 for a case if you don't need anything else.
    If you need windows in your budget, you are going to need to take $60.00 off the psu price and go down to a 650-w non modular

Find someone with a working .edu email address and get win7 for $60.00

EDIT - taek was all over the sata, but I definitely recommend the extra $5.00 to get the newest tx 650.

one more edit - after calculating a nice i5 overclock with 2Xgtx 580s in sli with 3-4 HDDs and several case fans, you're going to need about an 850w PSU to run reliably without any issues.
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-08-16 at 04:58 AM.

Alright, I wasn't aware of that. Will that PSU handle the 2 RAID0 drives & SLI GTX580 comfortably?
    The harddrives use negligible power.
    And I didn't realize you were going to use SLI 580's.. 650w is a little low for that.
    I'd recommend 850w for sli so you have some comfortable headroom.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139022
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139029

they're mostly the same, the 2nd one is modular though, so you can remove uneeded cables.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

there is almost literally 0 difference from 3gb/s sata to 6gb/s sata. Only fractional difference at absolute peak read/write. enough to not even warrant using 6gb/s to be completely honest.

You are at 870+hdd = 930+psu = 1080. leave your $120.00 for a case if you don't need anything else.
    If you need windows in your budget, you are going to need to take $60.00 off the psu price and go down to a 650-w non modular

Find someone with a working .edu email address and get win7 for $60.00

EDIT - taek was all over the sata, but I definitely recommend the extra $5.00 to get the newest tx 650.
    Heh. Luckily I'm still in college so I can manage getting Win7 on my own. How does http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136795 compare to that samsung? Besides a smaller size, it has more reliability behind it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh. Luckily I'm still in college so I can manage getting Win7 on my own. How does http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136795 compare to that samsung? Besides a smaller size, it has more reliability behind it.
    spinpoint > CB

OMG TAEK STOP SAYING THE SAME THINGS AS ME! looooooooooool

They're about the same speed, and both have very low failure rates. You'd do well with either, but I'd recommend the spinpoint because it's twice the size for the same price.

Ok, I've edited my main post to include everything. Is the case important?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I've edited my main post to include everything. Is the case important?
    yes and no. It's important that it be a mid-size tower or larger (I'd go full tower if you want to SLI 580s.)
    Also, it's important that you like the way it looks and has good cable management solutions.

yes and no. It's important that it be a mid-size tower or larger (I'd go full tower if you want to SLI 580s.)
    Also, it's important that you like the way it looks and has good cable management solutions.
    I assume ventilation and the like are also important.

Edited main post, added a question.
    Last edited by conqq; 2011-08-16 at 05:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume ventilation and the like are also important.

Edited main post, added a question.
    Corsair 600T is a very nice case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139005
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139003
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

D'oh, I forgot something completely: what should I get for optical drives?

Well like others said case is mostly a personal choice.
    I recently bought a Fractal design R3, and i can honestly say its the best case ive ever had.
    Good cable mangement and airflow + its silent :P

Any optical drive is ok, does anyone still use them ? =) ofc blueray if you feel you need it.

D'oh, I forgot something completely: what should I get for optical drives?
    just install from a usb stick and skip the optical drive... I wasted $20 on one for my build a few months ago and haven't used it...

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is the case I have picked out for my build. Like everyone says, it's completely personal preference. But input is always nice. Cable management and air flow are key.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147107

Quote Originally Posted by Tehjoker View Post
    This is the case I have picked out for my build. Like everyone says, it's completely personal preference. But input is always nice. Cable management and air flow are key.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147107
    I have a rosewill case too (destroyer) xD
    They're my favorite looking cases... don't know how people can stand haf ones and all the other ugly cases >_>
    Even the cheap rosewill cases have at least 3 fans and room for several more... that one u picked has 5 lmao... so you'll be plenty ventilated that's for sure.

I made a build recently and got the 650D Corsair case. It's solid.