Thread: Holy or Disc

Holy or Disc

Hey guys,

In our 10 man we recently lost a healer so one of our dps is going to gear up his priest to fill the spot. One thing we have to figure out is if he goes disc or holy. Never having played a priest, which is a better raid healer. We already have a great tank heals and just need to fill the raid heals spot

thanks a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as it pains me, for the current content Discipline is mostly better. For normal mode content Holy can work if you stick to normal modes, according to what I've heard, but Discipline seems to goto spec for harder content.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Normal modes 10man: Play what you like. Disc will likely be easier, but raid composition has a whole lot more impact than spec choice.
    Heroic modes 10man: I would tell you, but that would just end up in a huge argument with Themos again. So listen to Ynna instead

Disc for 10m.

(sure, you *can* play holy for whatever reason in 10m, but disc is undisputably the optimal choice. The only reason people above me are saying it's viable for normal modes is because.. well... normal modes are too easy for it to matter.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter in normals. For raid heals (aoe heals) holy is a bit better. For anything and everything else, disc is by far better. Better singletarget hps, better mana efficiency, better utility, higher burst, whatever you wish.

For 10 mans, Disc all the way. Holy provides some great HPS but without a shitton of Spirit he'll be ooming pretty quick. Disc is way more efficient, especially on smaller raid groups. Although having more than 1 Disc Priest in a 10 man may waver this.

Deleted
    I'd at least consider going holy for raid healing just because they can top people off faster after aoe dmg with a larger PoH, CoH, HW:sanctuary and Lightwell, even EoL helps a bunch.

Disc have better raid cooldowns (barrier) though and is IMO a lot more versatile overall...
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2011-08-18 at 12:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Doesn't matter in normals. For raid heals (aoe heals) holy is a bit better. For anything and everything else, disc is by far better. Better singletarget hps, better mana efficiency, better utility, higher burst, whatever you wish.
    There are only a couple fights on normal where Discipline isn't automatically better so if you need to have a healing off-spec Discipline is the better option. Most of the time the advantage Holy has in raid healing doesn't matter due to the nature of the incoming raid damage.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

It all depends if you need more AOE or tank healer. Holy is better for AOE healing, while disc is usually better for tank healing (at least that how i feel). If you're looking for a filler healer space (you have two great healer, but a third never hurts), disc is a plus. If they are gear, glyph, and spec'd properly they can dps while healing. Their smites will heal while they dps. You can get 4 -6K dps damage while they heal. They can also heal when necessary.

Was this thread even on the first page when you bumped it? ~ Ultima
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-08-25 at 09:13 PM.