Quote Originally Posted by Anexis View Post
    I just started playing this and I have a quick nub question. You unlock upgrades to tanks and planes etc, but is there a way you have to select one or your vehicles get all upgrades you've unlocked? And is there no other way to change your load out than in the middle of a game?
    Unfortunately no current way to change loadout except when dead. I presume they are working on this, everyone is asking for it.

And regarding unlocks - most have a choice of 3 unlocks per vehicle at any one time - and each has its only specific category.

On the loadout screen (click customize) where you select your class loadout- there is "land" "air" as subsequent choices where you can modify each vehicle.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Agreed, this Is a bad tactic overall. I mean, when the hell does a Marine use a flashlight to blind his enemies?
    Believe it or not, this is a trained practice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Unfortunately no current way to change loadout except when dead. I presume they are working on this, everyone is asking for it.

And regarding unlocks - most have a choice of 3 unlocks per vehicle at any one time - and each has its only specific category.

On the loadout screen (click customize) where you select your class loadout- there is "land" "air" as subsequent choices where you can modify each vehicle.

Hope that helps.
    Yeah that's just what I was looking for thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anexis View Post
    Yeah that's just what I was looking for thanks
    You're welcome
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by konaman View Post
    I tried the IR scope and did not like it I much prefer the iron sights or a red dot. The only gun I would consider using it on would be the an 94 but I really dislike that gun for some reason. Also does anyone else hate when you're trying to level up another class only to be forced back into engineering to destroy tanks because no one else is.
    Same to me, but everyone uses it so it would be unwise to handicap yourself. The impossibly bright flashlight during plain daylight is bad enough already (and I dont like using it, I prefer laser sight). I would stop using IR scope once 1, DICE nerfs rocket and mortal spamming. Maybe halves charging time of mortals, I dont know. 2, IR scope is nerfed itself to be a strictly night combat tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Support is pretty decent if your crafty with the C4, Many a times where iv snuck around behind a tank and c4ed it up. Thats why when using vehicles you never wanna stay in first person the whole time.
    Move with third view. May be use third view while clearing buildings with my maintank canon. Other than that, during tank duels first person view is a must to me.

Third view helps your ear from that annoying tak tak tak tak sound by the top mounted machine gun also, lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    just got the IR scope

.9 kdr before

first game 9-0 gained 200 skill
    get@me

First, an offering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_17Uvfwes This guy's videos are hilarious, and have actually helped me learn a bit about the game. Now, maybe someone would be willing to offer a little help here:

I'm still undecided on buying this game. I was a big fan of the Joint Operations(and before that, Delta Force) games years ago, and especially liked the unlimited scale in those games. Maps were open, there weren't walls saying "ok play area ends here", and being a sniper meant shooting people from 200+(often 500+) meters away, not 50. Now, I know there are still some limits on the play area in BF3, but from what I've seen it's still rather open and there are large maps. On the surface, everything looks quite good, but I've been a bit burned by battlefield games before.

What's the balance like regarding vehicles? Are they so strong one apc will send a squad running? Is getting a vehicle just making yourself a giant paper-thin target? How do you even kill jets? I see Stingers are available, but I wasn't aware of them being able to more anywhere near quickly enough to take down a jet. Helicopters are one thing, you can hit those with stingers, vehicle-mounted machine guns, small arms fire, etc, jets seem like they'd be a much harder target. For that matter, how do the jets even handle, are the maps really that huge that if you're in a jet, and a guy on the other team is in one, you won't be able to see them from just about anywhere?

What sort of durability do you have on foot? Is it a "one shot, one kill" from any large calibur weapon, or can you take a hit or two before going down(I'm assuming that either way a center mass hit from a high calibur sniper rifle is death, regardless)? Is the health system similar to cod with regenning(I dislike this system personally) after taking hits if you can get safe, or is it a static health bar(which would obviously make medics more important) more like how Joint Ops worked back in the day?

Finally, I've heard a lot of bad things about Origin. What's the general opinion regarding it, and regarding what I've heard about the permissions it has(short version: general permissions to scan any and all information on your computer)?

Edit: One example of the scale I like, 1:10 in the video I linked. Seeing an area that open with fighting going on in places other than right around the buildings is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, but I don't know how common that kind of thing is.
    Last edited by Tigercat; 2011-11-12 at 01:25 AM.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    First, an offering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_17Uvfwes This guy's videos are hilarious, and have actually helped me learn a bit about the game. Now, maybe someone would be willing to offer a little help here:
    That guy is a former clan member of mine from my CoD days and a good friend of mine

Your question about vehicles, There´s no overpowered tanks or Apc´s, a tank can easily be taken out by a engineer or support with C4.
    There 3 maps that are HUGE, Caspian boarder, Kargh Island and Operation Firestorm, there will be 4 more huge maps in Dec when Back To Karkand comes out.
    Snipers need 2 hits to kill if they don´t hit you in the head, you can survive some bullets but you can die pretty fast if someone hits you constantly, you will regain health if you are not shot for some time, but its much slower then CoD for example.
    I have no problem with Origin, I don´t even notice it just like Steam.

Just gonna but this here if somebody missed your link Tigetcat.
    He actually outdid himself this time.
    Last edited by Torched; 2011-11-12 at 04:26 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    That guy is a former clan member of mine from my CoD days and a good friend of mine

Your question about vehicles, There´s no overpowered tanks or Apc´s, a tank can easily be taken out by a engineer or support with C4.
    There 3 maps that are HUGE, Caspian boarder, Kargh Island and Operation Firestorm, there will be 4 more huge maps in Dec when Back To Karkand comes out.
    Snipers need 2 hits to kill if they don´t hit you in the head, you can survive some bullets but you can die pretty fast if someone hits you constantly, you will regain health if you are not shot for some time, but its much slower then CoD for example.
    I have no problem with Origin, I don´t even notice it just like Steam.
    Hmm, so a round from a M82(.50 cal I believe) in the center mass won't kill you? Does that at least require some sort of optional body armor? Oy
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

15+ Year Old Account
    s.
    well to start with the jets, they move pretty slow as far as a fighter jet goes, so stinger and javelin missiles can hit them. you also unlock heat seeking missiles for heli's and tanks. some (?all?) of the jet maps have an AA vehicle as well.

for the health, normal mode has regenerative health. hardcore has this turned off, it is also an option that any server can turn on/off. if you search back the last few pages, there is a spreadsheet that shows how many hits it takes for a kill for each weapon at 10 meter intervals.

and origin. it scans your computer for games that shouldn't be there (pirated/stolen etc.), it does not copy or send any data.

---------- Post added 2011-11-11 at 09:51 PM ----------

Hmm, so a round from a M82(.50 cal I believe) in the center mass won't kill you? Does that at least require some sort of optional body armor? Oy
    there is no 50 cal, afaik the most powerful right now is the M98B, which is the Barrett .338 http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/M98B
    Last edited by dabros; 2011-11-12 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabros View Post
    well to start with the jets, they move pretty slow as far as a fighter jet goes, so stinger and javelin missiles can hit them. you also unlock heat seeking missiles for heli's and tanks. some (?all?) of the jet maps have an AA vehicle as well.

for the health, normal mode has regenerative health. hardcore has this turned off, it is also an option that any server can turn on/off. if you search back the last few pages, there is a spreadsheet that shows how many hits it takes for a kill for each weapon at 10 meter intervals.

and origin. it scans your computer for games that shouldn't be there (pirated/stolen etc.), it does not copy or send any data.

---------- Post added 2011-11-11 at 09:51 PM ----------

there is no 50 cal, afaik the most powerful right now is the M98B, which is the Barrett .338 http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/M98B
    Hm, ok, sorry was going by the weapons link in the OP of this thread, which lists the M82A3 as one of the sniper rifles.

That figures with the jets, should be interesting, though still the concept that they might be moving slowly enough to bring down with a dumbfire rocket(AT4 is dumbfire I believe) is pretty amusing. Also, no worries with scanning for pirated games, etc. I'll have to look back for that spreadsheet(dealing with megathreads is such a pain in the ass), see what the numbers for the LMGs are like, usually play a gunner in these games. Also, seems I was beat to the punch with posting that video, but oh well it's good enough to be worth reposting.

Anyhoo, thanks for the info, think I'll give in and pick up the game tomorrow. I know how it goes, once I get curious enough about a game it's gonna bother me until I check it out, so

Edit: And found the spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...der=true&gid=8 for anyone curious

Edit2: Aha, turns out the M82 is in the game, but only shows up in single player. Shame too, I always liked the tradeoff of high firepower, semi-auto, and longer range for being loud as fuck and generally easier to trace.
    Last edited by Tigercat; 2011-11-12 at 04:49 AM.

I'm still undecided on buying this game. I was a big fan of the Joint Operations(and before that, Delta Force) games years ago, and especially liked the unlimited scale in those games. Maps were open, there weren't walls saying "ok play area ends here", and being a sniper meant shooting people from 200+(often 500+) meters away, not 50. Now, I know there are still some limits on the play area in BF3, but from what I've seen it's still rather open and there are large maps. On the surface, everything looks quite good, but I've been a bit burned by battlefield games before.

What's the balance like regarding vehicles? Are they so strong one apc will send a squad running? Is getting a vehicle just making yourself a giant paper-thin target? How do you even kill jets? I see Stingers are available, but I wasn't aware of them being able to more anywhere near quickly enough to take down a jet. Helicopters are one thing, you can hit those with stingers, vehicle-mounted machine guns, small arms fire, etc, jets seem like they'd be a much harder target. For that matter, how do the jets even handle, are the maps really that huge that if you're in a jet, and a guy on the other team is in one, you won't be able to see them from just about anywhere?

What sort of durability do you have on foot? Is it a "one shot, one kill" from any large calibur weapon, or can you take a hit or two before going down(I'm assuming that either way a center mass hit from a high calibur sniper rifle is death, regardless)? Is the health system similar to cod with regenning(I dislike this system personally) after taking hits if you can get safe, or is it a static health bar(which would obviously make medics more important) more like how Joint Ops worked back in the day?

Finally, I've heard a lot of bad things about Origin. What's the general opinion regarding it, and regarding what I've heard about the permissions it has(short version: general permissions to scan any and all information on your computer)?

Edit: One example of the scale I like, 1:10 in the video I linked. Seeing an area that open with fighting going on in places other than right around the buildings is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, but I don't know how common that kind of thing is.
    Alright lot's of questions.

Jets move at scaleable speed - much like they did in previous titles (BF2, and 1942 although ofc 1942 were fighter planes). Jets are mainly for dogfighting over jets and destroying heli's although when the sky is clear they can strafe targets on the ground and certainly atleast provide supressing effect to targets in the open.

Stingers can hit the jets but the jets are only a tiny bit slower than them and will out run them and send off flares before the stinger arrives and can even just go behind a cliff quite easily.

Tanks etc are not overpowered, they will send people running as you would expect, but the running is more tactical. You will die if you try to go toe to toe with a tank but tanks require team work - 3 AT soldiers will take down a tank in <1 second if you let them have the opportunity to. So vehicles are balanced.

There are open maps and closed in maps, Caspian Border, Kharg Island, Operation Firestorm, Canals, all nice and open like Delta Force games and at their max range you will get some 700m+ shots in. Most of the fighting for infantry happens between 50 and 250m unless you are a sniping recon. (And the sniping recon that does the 700m shots are usually hampering their team).

Weapon damage, generally close range 4 bullets, some guns 3 but with less RPM. And at longer ranges (passing the 30-50m marks) the guns start to become less effective, and depending on the type of gun they are have different fall off. Damage wise sniper rifles are of course the best, barely any fall off at all. Assault rifles next, then LMG's then SMG's/PDW's.

Health does regenerate but it does it very slowly, if you are down at 5% you can expect to be hiding for a minute or more before getting back to full health, and considering 4 bullets will most likely kill you that generally means you're better off continuing the fight rather than hiding and replenishing. I know I do.

Origin only scans what it needs to, generally thats computer setup and installed games. It can scan anything but so can steam and other programs people install, from it I have had a great service and haven't even noticed it when playing. I notice it when I login but other than that it's just in the background, and EA's customer support are very enthusiastic about it so any problems you would just need to contact them.

Basically, lots of people have blown it out of proportion. It won't be going into your personal emails finding details out about you, nor trolling through your photographs. In all likelihood it may get system data (your setup), and check installed programs, likely looking for things like steam, other distributors and other games. If it does, I am not concerned nor have I noticed any slowing effect by it so it is welcome to do so aslong as I continue to get a great service.

How common is fighting in lots of locations ? Very common. All the time basically.

---------- Post added 2011-11-12 at 11:05 AM ----------

Everyone wears body armour, as shown by their models, I would presume full USMC standard issue body armour. The game goes for gameplay balance more than realism, otherwise vehicles really would destroy everything especially jets. And there would be no need for most of the guns, especially as some are just prototypes anyway.

Don't think the M82 is in the game though, they have the m98b .338 bolt action, the sv98 which fires 7.62x54, the sks that 7.62x39, m40a5 7.62.51, mk11 mod 0 7.62x51, svd 7.62x51, m39 emr 7.62x51.

Lethality all dependent on distance, user, cover, scope, grip, firing rate etc

---------- Post added 2011-11-12 at 11:10 AM ----------

Hm, ok, sorry was going by the weapons link in the OP of this thread, which lists the M82A3 as one of the sniper rifles.

That figures with the jets, should be interesting, though still the concept that they might be moving slowly enough to bring down with a dumbfire rocket(AT4 is dumbfire I believe) is pretty amusing. Also, no worries with scanning for pirated games, etc. I'll have to look back for that spreadsheet(dealing with megathreads is such a pain in the ass), see what the numbers for the LMGs are like, usually play a gunner in these games. Also, seems I was beat to the punch with posting that video, but oh well it's good enough to be worth reposting.

Anyhoo, thanks for the info, think I'll give in and pick up the game tomorrow. I know how it goes, once I get curious enough about a game it's gonna bother me until I check it out, so

Edit: And found the spreadsheet, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...der=true&gid=8 for anyone curious

Edit2: Aha, turns out the M82 is in the game, but only shows up in single player. Shame too, I always liked the tradeoff of high firepower, semi-auto, and longer range for being loud as fuck and generally easier to trace.
    Yeah the jets do look amusing for a while, but once you get used to it and fly them you see its just for gameplay purposes. I play support and the LMG's currently handle too well, with a foregrip they are basically like an assault rifle, was a bit disappointed and im hoping they change it. Also you can sprint forever which is another thing I hope they change, I don't think it benefits gameplay at all to be able to sprint around for ever. However the LMG's tear people apart, the bipod is quite a bit better than the foregrip for handling the gun but the foregrip being more mobile makes it a bit overpowered vs the bipod at the moment. Eitherway I set up my guns at choke points or even looking into objectives and tear people to shreds.

Sounds like a lot of good times. I actually looked up some map info via the wiki, and I gotta say Kharg Island looks like it's going to be amazing.

I'm already prepared to be somewhat disappointed by the A-10 though. As you've said, they have to actually have some semblance of balance, so seeing just how much the A-10's gun is neutered(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYmn_xYB78 0:23, jesus fucking christ) is going to be a little sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    That dude is so fucking epic. Really made my day, I really hope he keeps up doing those videos. Great music choice and text

Sounds like a lot of good times. I actually looked up some map info via the wiki, and I gotta say Kharg Island looks like it's going to be amazing.

I'm already prepared to be somewhat disappointed by the A-10 though. As you've said, they have to actually have some semblance of balance, so seeing just how much the A-10's gun is neutered(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYmn_xYB78 0:23, jesus fucking christ) is going to be a little sad.
    Yeah the A-10 is only available through specific modes. I think I have only seen it on Rush on Firestorm though I could be mistaken. It's power isn't that much more than the fighter jets, if any more, it's basically a re model.

I think having the power of the a-10 though, would be insane, can you imagine if they also allowed an ac-130? Could just imagine myself orbiting the battlefield with my squad manning the armaments raining hell down upon their entire team for the entirety of the game ala Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom lmao

And that video is awesome, love seeing the a-10 in action irl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Yeah the A-10 is only available through specific modes. I think I have only seen it on Rush on Firestorm though I could be mistaken. It's power isn't that much more than the fighter jets, if any more, it's basically a re model.

I think having the power of the a-10 though, would be insane, can you imagine if they also allowed an ac-130? Could just imagine myself orbiting the battlefield with my squad manning the armaments raining hell down upon their entire team for the entirety of the game ala Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom lmao

And that video is awesome, love seeing the a-10 in action irl.
    Actually the A-10 Thunderbolt and Fragfoot (the RU type) can kill a tank in one sweep with the machine gun, the machine gun is MUCH stronger then the regular jets have.
    I just wish the A-10 and fragfoot would be in conquest mode because their far more fun to fly then the regular ones.
    Their just on Rush on Caspian border, Kargh Island and Operation Firestorm.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Actually the A-10 Thunderbolt and Fragfoot (the RU type) can kill a tank in one sweep with the machine gun, the machine gun is MUCH stronger then the regular jets have.
    I just wish the A-10 and fragfoot would be in conquest mode because their far more fun to fly then the regular ones.
    Their just on Rush on Caspian border, Kargh Island and Operation Firestorm.
    AHh, well the jet get tanks to disabled in one sweep so thats 30%ish extra damage. Eitherway good to hear, honestly don't play rush on those maps too much (If I play rush its normally Damavand/Bazaar/Seine).

But it is a shame they are not in conquest, although I'm not a fan of the models compared to regular jets, it would be nice to be able to destroy a tank with one sweep considering the rocket pods are so ineffective.

15+ Year Old Account
    so, at this time, 12:57pm EST. anyone else not being able to get onto the battlelog?

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    so, at this time, 12:57pm EST. anyone else not being able to get onto the battlelog?
    20:12 GMT, been able to login all day.

I hate the fact this game doesnt work with Intel HD graphics cards, i wanted to play this quite a bit