Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question The most useless item in the game?

Sometimes in Minecraft, while your crafting, mining or murdering mobs, you find some pretty useless stuff. Now, you can share what YOU think is the most useless item in the game! In my opinion, it has to be Lapis Lazuli. Unless your planning to make your house a bit cooler, its pretty much worthless.
    So, what do you think is the most useless item in Minecraft is?

Sponge.
    /10 chars
    Cant think of what my signature would have to be...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've not found a use for Gravel, except for accidentally suffocating myself when mining directly up into stone.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Gold is generally pretty useless. Redstone is worthless if you aren't into making big redstone contraptions.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

snow/snowballs. I might use them to test the trajectory an ender pearl will go, but that almost never happens.

gold swords. They're not only as fragile as other gold items, they don't even have the saving grace of being fast/powerful, they're the weakest sword.

splash potions of damage. They sound practical, only they have no range to them, heal the majority of mobs you come into contact with, and barely scratch the remainder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    snow/snowballs. I might use them to test the trajectory an ender pearl will go, but that almost never happens.

gold swords. They're not only as fragile as other gold items, they don't even have the saving grace of being fast/powerful, they're the weakest sword.

splash potions of damage. They sound practical, only they have no range to them, heal the majority of mobs you come into contact with, and barely scratch the remainder.
    Snow would be a lot more useful if you could throw snowballs to add a layer of snow on top of existing blocks. I don't think I've ever had much use for snow blocks other than as a storage medium or for making snow golems. I like making freezers in my homes, but that either requires inventory editing or a long and tedious process of creating the ice needed to make it work since you can't get ice blocks any other way.

Pumpkins are pretty useless, too.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    I've not found a use for Gravel, except for accidentally suffocating myself when mining directly up into stone.
    Gravel can be useful when dealing with lava. If you don't have a bucket of water on you you can use gravel and let it sink to the bottom to build a bridge rather than trying risking it by leaning over the edge to place a block.

You can also "farm" for flint by placing/breaking gravel blocks.

I think the most useless item in minecraft is the wooden tools except wooden pickaxe. Once you make that wooden pickaxe and mine 3 stone you go back and make a stone pickaxe and never look back on wooden tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Pumpkins are pretty useless, too.
    You can use pumpkins as a helmet which is very effective when fighting endermen since it prevents them from warping around. In first person it limits your vision, but you can go into 3rd person and they're a cakewalk.

You can also make jack-o-laterns with pumpkin+torch which provide more light than torches.
    Gold is generally pretty useless. Redstone is worthless if you aren't into making big redstone contraptions.
    Powered rails are very useful and convenient, which require both gold and redstone.

10+ Year Old Account
    lapis lazuli

other than making a blue floor whats the point of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Powered rails are very useful and convenient, which require both gold and redstone.
    You only need one powered rail per eight pieces of track on a level surface to maintain high speed, less than that if you have downhill momentum, and you get 16 powered rail pieces for every six gold ingots and one redstone dust. Unless you're making some truly massive rail systems, you probably won't even use more than a stack of gold ingots.

Jack-o-lanterns are useful, but why would you use those instead of glowstone blocks? Endermen aren't a threat so you don't need a pumpkin helmet unless you just like using one.

You only need one powered rail per eight pieces of track on a level surface to maintain high speed, less than that if you have downhill momentum, and you get 16 powered rail pieces for every six gold ingots and one redstone dust. Unless you're making some truly massive rail systems, you probably won't even use more than a stack of gold ingots.

Jack-o-lanterns are useful, but why would you use those instead of glowstone blocks? Endermen aren't a threat so you don't need a pumpkin helmet unless you just like using one.
    Glowstone is better than Jack-o-laterns, however jack-o-lanterns can also provide light while submerged in water, so they're still useful if you haven't found any diamond to make pickaxes for obsidian to enter The Nether. Pumpkin helmets are extremely useful for hunting endermen when you want to enter The End.

You also need to chain powered rails if you're going uphill, especially if you're sending chestcarts. Regardless, gold and redstone are still useful to get around. I use them all the time on my server to make railways to strongholds, villages, and bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Gravel can be useful when dealing with lava. If you don't have a bucket of water on you you can use gravel and let it sink to the bottom to build a bridge rather than trying risking it by leaning over the edge to place a block.
    Leaning over an edge isn't a risk. Use shift.

On topic: Guess there isn't really any clear answer. There are a lot of items/blocks that have no purpose to them and/or are weaker than items/blocks that are more easily obtainable, but they all still share a purpose - decoration.
    Last edited by Shaina; 2012-03-24 at 04:05 AM.

Just use Industrialcraft, even if you find block without use, recycle it.

lapus luzi i would say too since it's pretty rare like gold yet it's main purpose so far is for decoration

10+ Year Old Account
    + few mods use it

Eggs. They're not the most useless item, but they had so much potential!

Sugar, besides cake it has no uses that come to mind.
    No. Just no.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with gravel. I have yet to PvP and that's the only place I can conceive that gravel has any utility.

Deleted
    GRAVEL For what you use gravel i hate this block never storage it in my chests only sometimes i dig it to get some tinder.
    About Lapis Lazuli - in normal MC without mods its useless but i you use mod called Equivalent Exchange, Lapis is a good item to make an energy for Duplicator ( also players use redstone ) there is always alot of Lapis and Redstone in Twilight Forest mod.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorianas View Post
    I agree with gravel. I have yet to PvP and that's the only place I can conceive that gravel has any utility.
    It's good for making paths, it's your only source of flint for arrows, and like sand it can be useful for creating walkways through water or lava since it will automatically fall to the bottom.