10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Conan The Barbarian (Likely Spoilers)

I saw the new Conan movie yesterday, and I gotta say that it was very enjoyable. The acting was well done and the numerous fight scenes were very enjoyable. The plot was what someone who has seen the original would expect: Conan's tribe was massacred by a guy in search of something they possessed, bad guys take such item, Conan wants vengeance, Conan goes tear-assing through the countryside to kill the bad guys. I will say that this is probably the definition of a guy movie (not that it is a bad thing), considering that literally 95% of the women in the movie have never even heard of a top.

What did you guys think of it?

I did not see it yet but I saw some reviews and they were not nice to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    I did not see it yet but I saw some reviews and they were not nice to say the least.
    Yeah the local newspaper gave it 1.5 stars... but it's not usually wise to take a critic's word on a movie such as this. Those ratings seem to be designed around how good the plot is and not how awesome the characters are. Conan doesn't have a massive plot and there are no lessons that can be applied to real life, so some fifty year old woman isn't going to say that it was a great movie. It did however, have lots of really cool fight scenes and a few funny moments that were actually funny, unlike the bullshit in Transformers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even know they had remade it.

I will say the original was one of the best heroic fantasy movies ever made, in my opinion. I have also seen the director's cut, and while it stays much closer to the spirit of a howard story (hell, it feels just like a howard story at the end), I like the release cut/ending much better. The guy behind it borrowed a good bit of material from howard's stories as well (the king in the crypt/tomb copied in badlands, for example, with some changes).

The sequel (conan the destroyer) was shit. don't know the story behind that, de laurentis was the name on it but totally different writing style. They intentionally wanted a PG rating, but not sure why it was so terrible.

Yeah i thought it was pretty good except for the CGI blood which was awful.

ill definitely say it wasnt as bad as i was expecting it to be lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Boring, boring, boring. It wasn't as offensively bad as it could have been, but the entire movie felt like it had been playing it too safe. Conan didn't feel the least bit like a "barbarian." He was another Vin Diesel clone. The female lead only existed to give Conan somebody to make sex at and to scream when she was constantly in peril. If I want to watch lame fight scenes with 2nd or 3rd rate acting, I'd go watch the Sam Raimi Hercules TV show. At least that show knew not to take itself so seriously.

I saw it because my friend dragged me to it. It was exactly what I expected it to be, a crappy remake of a already bad movie. My friend liked it, but he also like Transformers and because of that I have to question his intelligence.

I really don't recommend this movie. I instead recommend you go rent Source Code, it's a good movie and will cost you a hell of a lot less. More bang for your buck as it were.

Deleted
    As long as they get Conan the character right it'll be good. Ahnold Conan came off as a dimwitted, sentimental girl and not as the wolf that ascended to the kingship of Aquilonia. And besides, Jason Mamoa turned out a wonderful performance as Khal Drogo so Conan can't be hard for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6_WRDROdM

WHEN KHAL DROGO WISHES TO MAKE A SPEECH, A SPEECH SHALL BE MADE. /ALLCAPS

I dunno why, but that clip always makes me laugh.
    Last edited by mmoc2636c1d1f2; 2011-09-09 at 12:21 PM.