Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    It's not. The price-difference from the GTX570 does not translate in an equal percentage in gained performance, which is actually quite small in comparison.
    It is the most powerful GPU availible at this time, but you also pay a price-premium for that fact alone.
    But if you insist, the top ASUS one, the Gainward, and the MSI TwinFrozr II are all great choices.
    I agree with you Tetris. The 570 is great, the 580 is better, but not directly on a price to performance gain level. If you're worried about costs, OP, the GTX 570 is quite capable and will also SLi quite well.

I would go with either the ASUS card on top, or the MSI Twin Frozr card off of that list.

Deleted
    for £1200, i wouldn't go less a 580. MSI Twin Frozr is a good choice, plus it's on sale right now. Aria is a decent website, so good luck with your build.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vBrad View Post
    I don't insist, saving money would be great really, so if the performance increase is not worth the extra £100, I'll stay away. Would you say the 570 is the way to go then?

Here's Aria's range on those: https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...TX+570+Series/
    curse their 570 collection... the ASUS would be my choice from the 570.

I don't insist, saving money would be great really, so if the performance increase is not worth the extra £100, I'll stay away. Would you say the 570 is the way to go then?

Here's Aria's range on those: https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...TX+570+Series/
    https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=43791 I'd choose this one, in fact, I have it in my wishlist right now.

Well, it's up to you if 5-10% (50->52.5 or 50->55 fps to make it more comparable) depending on game is worth 100 GBP. I wouldn't.
    Of the choices, I'd take the ASUS or Gainward again. Gainward is two-slotter, ASUS is triple.

I'd recommend going with a 570 as well, it's going performance per dollar, and plenty powerful for current games.
    In a year or 2 you'll have the option of either upgrading or getting another for sli... hard to say which will be best.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the advice so far, especially so fast. Managed to knock a fair bit off so far; this is my current build taking into account the advice I've received.

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/-XBzFUh0adjym-Wlr67nJQ,,

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the advice so far, especially so fast. Managed to knock a fair bit off so far; this is my current build taking into account the advice I've received.

only thing I would change is your 1TB hdd now.

I would get a Samsung spinpoint F3 or a Caviar Black. (Sorry, I'm at work and Aria's site runs REALLY slow here, so searching isn't an option for me right now)

Deleted

you should consider the gainward GPU if you want to SLI in the future. not sure how the spacings are on the mobo but it might be difficult to SLI a triple slot card.

You could change the mobo to this one.
    It's basically the same as the Z68 board, just without the special features such as Lucid Virtu and SSD Caching. Looking at your SSD you ain't going to use the SSD Caching feature and Lucid Virtu is a gimmick.

I ought to slap you. Don't you freaking skimp on the monitor. What the hell is the point of all this nice computer equipment if you are going to buy a 95 dollar 22 inch monitor? Such a nice gaming PC would fail on visuals because it won't get a proper display for output.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236101

before I stab you in the face.

(EDIT)
    My advice as a 10 year PC builder.
    Don't take anything less than a Core i7.
    Secure a Geforce 560-570 fermi architechture. (1, you aren't in the finances for two)
    Go to at least 6 Gigs DDR3 tripple channel. (ie, 2gigx3)
    Motherboard - I'm partial to Asus, always have been. Look for Tripple Channel support/1 16xpcie/2 or 3 if you want to upgrade later (this depends on finances available.)
    I've always been a huge fan of SSD + 1or2 TB builds. 1 Hard drive is just fine, but if you have the cash... Load that shit up with 1 SSD for OS install and another storage drive for games. (SSD Info) Don't get such a big one. All you need is a 60 Gig SSD for OS performance.
    600W PSU will be fine.

You have more work to do.
    Last edited by Nythious; 2011-08-26 at 03:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    only thing I would change is your 1TB hdd now.

I would get a Samsung spinpoint F3 or a Caviar Black. (Sorry, I'm at work and Aria's site runs REALLY slow here, so searching isn't an option for me right now)
    Swapped out for a:
    Code:
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
    Cut a few £s off with that, not much, but if it's superior and cheaper, it's a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce
    you should consider the gainward GPU if you want to SLI in the future. not sure how the spacings are on the mobo but it might be difficult to SLI a triple slot card.
    Yeah I see exactly where you're coming from, the price difference is very negligible too, so I've gone with that. Could save me a bit of hassle in the future depending on what I do.
    Last edited by mmoc7256340762; 2011-08-26 at 02:59 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah I see exactly where you're coming from, the price difference is very negligible too, so I've gone with that. Could save me a bit of hassle in the future depending on what I do.
    plus the gainward looks freakin epic.

also, not sure on what look you're going for but a red case plus blue ram would look kinda odd to me. i'd personally get either red to match the case fans or black to match the gpu. just nitpicking now, but it's something to consider.

Actually, there is enough space on the board for 2 tripple slotters in SLI. So it comes down to preference, take whichever one you think looks best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythious View Post
    I ought to slap you. Don't you freaking skimp on the monitor. What the hell is the point of all this nice computer equipment if you are going to buy a 95 dollar 22 inch monitor? Such a nice gaming PC would fail on visuals because it won't get a proper display for output.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236101

before I stab you in the face.
    .. he says, and recommends a skimped out monitor himself. Seriously, a low-resolutioned TN-monitor? D:
    Not worth the price, even if it's 27".

Better suggestion would be DELL UltraSharp U2311H.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You could change the mobo to this one.
    It's basically the same as the Z68 board, just without the special features such as Lucid Virtu and SSD Caching. Looking at your SSD you ain't going to use the SSD Caching feature and Lucid Virtu is a gimmick.
    Motherboards are an extreme weakspot for me, so I only picked that one because it has that user-friendly GUI for overclocking and that sort of thing; if the one you linked has that too, then I'd be happy to drop down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythious
    Haha :> Yeah, the monitor was a placeholder really, but is there any reasonable priced ones good ones on here?

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...t%3B+Monitors/

I apologise for being very picky about the website used, but the store is close to where I live so it'd be handy to just go in the shop and purchase it all there.

Deleted
    if you live close anyway i'd personally just drop in and have a look at the different monitors if possible. it's pretty much just personal preference unless you're buying really top end gear like the 27" Dell which pretty much beats all. some like 23" and others 24". personally, i prefer 22" 1980x1020 as my screen is set up pretty close to where i sit, so i don't need stuff to be larger.

Motherboards are an extreme weakspot for me, so I only picked that one because it has that user-friendly GUI for overclocking and that sort of thing; if the one you linked has that too, then I'd be happy to drop down.

Haha :> Yeah, the monitor was a placeholder really, but is there any reasonable priced ones good ones on here?

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...t%3B+Monitors/

I apologise for being very picky about the website used, but the store is close to where I live so it'd be handy to just go in the shop and purchase it all there.
    It should be criminal to not have the panel-type in the tech-speccs. D:
    https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...roductId=45882 of the listed ones, since it actually bothers to mention its paneltype, and it's IPS.
    I don't have the time to google the rest of them:P

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    .. he says, and recommends a skimped out monitor himself. Seriously, a low-resolutioned TN-monitor? D:
    Not worth the price, even if it's 27".

Better suggestion would be DELL UltraSharp U2311H.
    never recommend Dell to me again. I'm an ex-Dell technician. They are the cheapest parts on the market. I personally own the monitor i recommended. It's got an incredible display.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythious View Post
    never recommend Dell to me again. I'm an ex-Dell technician. They are the cheapest parts on the market. I personally own the monitor i recommended. It's got an incredible display.
    I didn't recommend it to you, and you could be president for all I care.
    The Dell-display is LG either way, and if you think a TN-panel is a good display, your eyes need some checking up.