Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I didn't recommend it to you, and you could be president for all I care.
    The Dell-display is LG either way, and if you think a TN-panel is a good display, your eyes need some checking up.
    this, four times.

Quote Originally Posted by vBrad View Post
    Motherboards are an extreme weakspot for me, so I only picked that one because it has that user-friendly GUI for overclocking and that sort of thing; if the one you linked has that too, then I'd be happy to drop down.
    Yes, it also has the GUI. I have the Deluxe edition myself, which is more or less the same, except I have a front USB3.0 panel and 2 ethernet ports. (also useless gimmiks, but the PRO was sold out when I bought mine)

I would highly suggest going elsewhere for a monitor purchase and price check your equipment. You are going to want a good solid 27 inch display so you can truly appreciate spending 1200 for this PC. You never think it will be a big difference until you see it on a bigger screen. I edited my above post with my recommendations.

I've gotta head back to company, enjoy the new PC when ya build it. (Don't forget the cost of Windows 7 64bit btw)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythious View Post
    I would highly suggest going elsewhere for a monitor purchase and price check your equipment. You are going to want a good solid 27 inch display so you can truly appreciate spending 1200 for this PC. You never think it will be a big difference until you see it on a bigger screen. I edited my above post with my recommendations.

I've gotta head back to company, enjoy the new PC when ya build it. (Don't forget the cost of Windows 7 64bit btw)
    I'm thinking 22" mostly because of the limited room on my desk, due to it being an under-bed desk; plus my friend has a 32" for any appreciating that needs doing. :>

Got the OS sorted.

My advice as a 10 year PC builder.
    Don't take anything less than a Core i7.
    Secure a Geforce 560-570 fermi architechture. (1, you aren't in the finances for two)
    Go to at least 6 Gigs DDR3 tripple channel. (ie, 2gigx3)
    Motherboard - I'm partial to Asus, always have been. Look for Tripple Channel support/1 16xpcie/2 or 3 if you want to upgrade later (this depends on finances available.)
    I've always been a huge fan of SSD + 1or2 TB builds. 1 Hard drive is just fine, but if you have the cash... Load that shit up with 1 SSD for OS install and another storage drive for games. (SSD Info) Don't get such a big one. All you need is a 60 Gig SSD for OS performance.
    600W PSU will be fine.
    I'll go through the rest a bit, but I read elsewhere that i5 is superior for gaming currently, any other opinions?
    Last edited by mmoc7256340762; 2011-08-26 at 03:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking 22" mostly because of the limited room on my desk, due to it being an under-bed desk; plus my friend has a 32" for any appreciating that needs doing. :>

Got the OS sorted.

I'll go through the rest a bit, but I read elsewhere that i5 is superior for gaming currently, any other opinions?
    the i7 2600k has HT, which isn't needed currently unless your doing 3d rendering and that sorta crap at the moment, it may get use in future stuff, but currently the i5 is just as good if not better for gaming, and a hell of a lot cheaper

edit: with regards the monitor, i don't see any problems with anything between 22" and 27", personally i use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-24-inch.../dp/B001TH8OYW (didn't buy it from amazon, just was lazy in googling) and i love it

edit2: (yeah, tetris below reminded me), the triple channel thing, ignore it, you were already gonna go for 2x 4gb = 8gb dual channel which is a better setup
    Last edited by Rixis; 2011-08-26 at 03:31 AM.

I'd ignore the guy, and on these grounds;
    He suggests "nothing less" than a core i7, wheras the only higher-end CPUs are workstation-things like Xeons. Core i7s are also overkill for gaming.
    He is suggesting nVIDIA alone, and seem to suggest that SLI is a good idea off the bat, and for someone running a single-monitor setup.
    He is suggesting triple channel, despite LGA1155 (core i5-2500K / i7-2600K) being dual-channel only. Either he suggests going for outdated LGA1366, which is bad advice, or he hasn't been up to date lately.

Well, regarding the i7 vs i5 thing. I don't really have time to do research, but I will say this.
    You are investing in a computer and i'm sure it's only purpose won't be gaming, you are going to want a good CPU for daily use and for anything else you might be doing on the PC. Hell, a lot of games still struggle to be optimized for multiple cores and to take full advantage of them, but in the long run. . . the i7 will pay off more as a system part rather than the i5. Just don't get a damn AMD lol

I ought to slap you. Don't you freaking skimp on the monitor. What the hell is the point of all this nice computer equipment if you are going to buy a 95 dollar 22 inch monitor? Such a nice gaming PC would fail on visuals because it won't get a proper display for output.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236101

before I stab you in the face.

(EDIT)
    My advice as a 10 year PC builder.
    Don't take anything less than a Core i7.
    Secure a Geforce 560-570 fermi architechture. (1, you aren't in the finances for two)
    Go to at least 6 Gigs DDR3 tripple channel. (ie, 2gigx3)
    Motherboard - I'm partial to Asus, always have been. Look for Tripple Channel support/1 16xpcie/2 or 3 if you want to upgrade later (this depends on finances available.)
    I've always been a huge fan of SSD + 1or2 TB builds. 1 Hard drive is just fine, but if you have the cash... Load that shit up with 1 SSD for OS install and another storage drive for games. (SSD Info) Don't get such a big one. All you need is a 60 Gig SSD for OS performance.
    600W PSU will be fine.

You have more work to do.
    10 year PC builder and you stopped about 10 months ago?
    There is this new Sandy Bridge architecture, it uses LGA1155 sockets. The difference between i5's and i7's isn't what is was with 1366 and 1156 sockets. The only difference between these the i5 2500K and i7 2600K is that the i7 has hyperthreading. To pay €100 extra for this while most people don't have any use for 8 cores is silly. Also Sandy Bridge uses dual channel memory, so getting tripple channel is useless.
    Hope you are up to date again now

.. he says, and recommends a skimped out monitor himself. Seriously, a low-resolutioned TN-monitor? D:
    Not worth the price, even if it's 27".

Better suggestion would be DELL UltraSharp U2311H.
    I would suggest a U2410 over the U2311H and U2412M any day, if it fits in the budget. Not only is it larger than the U2311H (1" lol), the main reason is that it features 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-26 at 03:39 AM.

I agree with everything tetris has said pretty much. As for a display, 27" is pointless if you don't get a resolution of 2560x1440. If it's 1920x1080 it's more like a TV, and that is bleh.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I'd ignore the guy, and on these grounds;
    He suggests "nothing less" than a core i7, wheras the only higher-end CPUs are workstation-things like Xeons. Core i7s are also overkill for gaming.
    He is suggesting nVIDIA alone, and seem to suggest that SLI is a good idea off the bat, and for someone running a single-monitor setup.
    He is suggesting triple channel, despite LGA1155 (core i5-2500K / i7-2600K) being dual-channel only. Either he suggests going for outdated LGA1366, which is bad advice, or he hasn't been up to date lately.
    Thanks for the heads up.. Didn't realize they dropped support for tripple channel in the sandybridge series from the 900s. The other stuff you mentioned is just goofy though.

Thanks for the heads up.. Didn't realize they dropped support for tripple channel in the sandybridge series from the 900s. The other stuff you mentioned is just goofy though.
    For Sandy Bridge, the only REAL difference between the i5 and i7 is the i7 has HT, which is mostly useless for gaming. Also she's correct on the SLI setup, it's not as neccesary, especially if you only play at 1920x1080.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Deleted
    Don't really know enough about the hardware you guys are discussing to input really, so I'll just apply what the general consensus seems to be to my build so far.. :>

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/-XBzFUh0adjym-Wlr67nJQ,,

I feel like I'm getting closer~

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't really know enough about the hardware you guys are discussing to input really, so I'll just apply what the general consensus seems to be to my build so far.. :>

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/-XBzFUh0adjym-Wlr67nJQ,,

I feel like I'm getting closer~
    i noticed something - the monitor you chose has no hdmi input...i find that odd!

However, this one does! also a 22" LG!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    i noticed something - the monitor you chose has no hdmi input...i find that odd!

However, this one does! also a 22" LG!
    Reckon it's worth it? My friend tried HDMI connection for his PC but it was incredibly laggy, even the mouse and keyboard, though he had 32", if that makes a difference.

That was a TV, which aren't good for computer monitors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    That was a TV, which aren't good for computer monitors.
    precisely.

I run my 23" Acer monitor through HDMI and I can definitely notice a difference, to be honest. No latency, no graphics tearing, no nothing. Just pretty picture quality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    precisely.

I run my 23" Acer monitor through HDMI and I can definitely notice a difference, to be honest. No latency, no graphics tearing, no nothing. Just pretty picture quality.
    Updated, then.

Updated, then.
    You do have to question yourself this before making a final choice between those screens: Do I want better picture quality or not?
    LG IPS226V-PN Is an IPS panel screen, the LG E2281VR-BN is TN. This is a big difference.
    The difference between HDMI and DVI is non-existant when it comes to picture quality, they both share the same signal. I'm using my screen for 2.5 years now and it only has DVI and VGA inputs, I never missed the HDMI.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You do have to question yourself this before making a final choice between those screens: Do I want better picture quality or not?
    LG IPS226V-PN Is an IPS panel screen, the LG E2281VR-BN is TN. This is a big difference.
    The difference between HDMI and DVI is non-existant when it comes to picture quality, they both share the same signal. I'm using my screen for 2.5 years now and it only has DVI and VGA inputs, I never missed the HDMI.
    Which is the better one of the two, sorry? IPS or TN?

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is the better one of the two, sorry? IPS or TN?
    IPS is the best you can get these days I believe.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650