Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[World first] Emalon solo by Dugley

Edit: A DK did it about a month ago, so this isn't a world first, but it still may be a hunter first.
    DK vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQWrAoV_p_E
    it's not a very popular video, so I'm not surprised by the fact that I couldn't find it. If a moderater could change the title to Hunter first rather than world first, that'd be cool. [Unless otherwise proven, again]

hey guys, I just solo'd emalon the storm watcher in VoA no less than 10 minutes ago; to my knowledge this is the first done by anyone, as I couldn't find any vids/posts about anyone else doing it.

I don't have a video, but I do have a number of screenshots:

http://www.photobucket.com/emalonhuntersolo

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/duskwood/Dugle
    pet: turtle
    spec: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...Qhd!j!ZYWfRklN

To heal through emalon's massive damage I put on my old T52pc gloves/shoulders for the damage=heals bonus, loaded up on stamina by used my inscription of the earth prince on the shoulders [inscription enchants don't have an ilvl requirement, just a character level requirement], equipping a moonwell phial, crafting some solid chimera's eyes/Ocean sapphire's, and enchanting my legs with charscale leg armor. As far as consumables go, I used a steelskin flask, drums, skewered eel, and drums.

The tactic for the fight was pretty simple, misdirect the adds on to your pet and make sure they stay on him nearly the entire time, it is very common to pull aggro since your healing deals far more aggro than thunderstomp, so be ready to cast feign death and misdirect often. I didn't bother killing the overcharged add as it only deals 25k damage to you and your pet upon explosion, which is nothing with current health pools.

If you find that your pet is getting dangerously low on health, you can cast a couple multishot's to get him back up, since the 2pcT5 heals based on total damage done, and a multishot on 5 targets deals a substantial amount of damage. I would advise you feign shortly after, and be wary of killing the adds as the new ones will have 0 threat on the pet to begin.

Using aspect of the nature will reduce nature damage taken by a large portion, especially on your pet since it has a double stacking effect (45% reduction)

I probably won't be soloing him for the mount until the next tier of gear is released, simply because it is too costly to re enchant/gem all my gear for one fight. Ever other boss I solo for mounts on a regular basis, including Keal, onyxia, and malygos, do not require me to change any of my gear.

And that's about it, sorry for any/all grammar errors, and if any hunters that are far more skilled than me would like to make a vid feel free to link it to me and I'll edit this post show a link of it.

Regards,
    Dugley

edit: added spec
    Last edited by Dugley; 2011-08-28 at 11:17 PM.

Not to burst your bubble but I am almost positive a dk solo'd that guy in wrath. Maybe I am mistaken but grats

EDIT: I just Youtubed it and I got tons of videos of people soloing it....lol

here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQWrAoV_p_E (if you search emalon solo its like the 3rd one its not hard to find)
    Last edited by Bassnectar; 2011-08-28 at 11:55 PM.

World first? hell no, I do it every week for mount!

Fairly sure ive seen a DK do it in Wrath. Il see if i can find the video.

EDIT: I think I was wrong, the video i remember was a 2 man effort.

Grats!
    Last edited by pickley; 2011-08-28 at 10:26 PM.

Troll I assume?

I'm only the first as far as my personal knowledge goes, I tried searching youtube/multiple forums for anyone else that has done it, and came up with no results.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ff-Compilation - this thread lists emalon as impossible

http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t43955-h...es_fun_profit/ - this thread lists him as yet to be downed

@Shazzia: are you sure your not thinking of archavon [rock] or koralon [fire]? Emalon is substantially harder than both of them.

And before I get flammed: I'm not trying to say I'm the best hunter out there, so please don't misinterpret me as being so, I consider myself an average player, who just so happened to be the first to solo Emalon.

Quote Originally Posted by pawsz View Post
    Troll I assume?
    No. >: (
    Last edited by Dugley; 2011-08-28 at 10:43 PM.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you weren't first, nice feat nevertheless.

Perhaps he means Hunter World First.

Maybe a Hunter server first, but yeh, congrats.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

tried it out when I did my usual koralon/archavon moneyrun and I found the dmg unhealable (didn't bring t5) so I kind of gave up on the challenge for now.. but it's nice to see that hunters keep pushing the limits of soloing and not giving dks all the shine : ) kudos man, kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunee View Post
    tried it out when I did my usual koralon/archavon moneyrun and I found the dmg unhealable (didn't bring t5) so I kind of gave up on the challenge for now.. but it's nice to see that hunters keep pushing the limits of soloing and not giving dks all the shine : ) kudos man, kudos.
    Yeah, I had the same problem at first, as I stated earlier the way I got by was by getting my stamina up, the dps loss isn't a huge worry since you only need 6667 dps to beat the enrage timer.

here's a short list of what I did if you want to give it another go and don't mind spending a little coin:

prof bonus's:
    -used the inscription of the earth prince on my 2pc shoulders, although Greater Inscription of Unbreakable Quartz should work as well, unlike gems these don't have an ilvl req.
    -used 3 solid chimera eyes (41 more stam than a reg gem)
    -switched out nearly all of my remaining gems with a solid ocean sapphire (60 stam ea)
    -used char scale leg armor (145 stam/55agi)
    -equipped a moonwell phial (510 stam trinket, purchasable after filling a moonwell during firelands dailies)
    -used a steelskin flask/drums/fort scroll

and that's it, after I had done all that mend pet would heal my turtle for 19k/tick, which was enough to heal through emalon's damage with the 2pcT5 bonus, although there were still a few close calls. If you still need more stamina/can't out-heal emalon then you can change up the enchants on your gear as well. It's also worth noting that leather workers can get more stamina than any other profession due to their bracer enchant, so that's an extra bonus if that option is available.

On a related note, I've tried giving Toravon the ice watcher a few attempts at a solo. My best attempt got him down to 1400k health.

I don't doubt it can be done by a hunter with better skill/gear, so I'll post my strategy for anyone who wants to try it and/or change it to beat the boss.

pre-req: have 5 turtles on hand that are properly specced.

I was using 2pcT5 for longer endurance, but regular gear might be better due to the higher dps.

Keep in mind that Toravon has no hard enrage timer, he just stacks whiteout until the damage becomes impossible to heal, luckily for us hunters, pets are immune to it.

the fight:

send your first turtle in, and dps Toravon down. Whenever you see a frost orb, make sure you switch to it and down it quickly, then go back on to the boss. Eventually frostbite will stack so high that it will be impossible to heal through, when this happens the first time you'll want to pull aggro off of the boss (distracting shot won't work, so turn off growl in hindsight), kite him as far as you can, activate deterrence, readiness, and deterrence again for a 10 second span of no attacks, feign and let him beat on your pet some more.

When frostbite stacks too high to heal through again, dismiss your first turtle and summon your second, put him on the boss and feign so he will have aggro, repeat.

You won't be able to use the same turtle twice, because once you summon them again they will still have the debuff, meaning they'll be one shot immediately as the tick happens before the stamina inheritance.

it may be possible to drop the stacks on your turtle without deterrence if you can kite toravon far enough. To do so successfully you'd probably need to spec into posthaste, pop aspect of the cheetah, and run. If you are a worgen/goblin/engineer your racials/tinekrs would also help immensly.

other notes: feign death will often cause a frost orb to run back to it's spawn point, but it will not despawn them and they will chase you once you come back up.
    Last edited by Dugley; 2011-08-29 at 08:13 AM.

see my problem is just spending 2k gold on just leg enchants and 100g+ per gem to redo it all, I'm not going to do that for a 'simple voa boss' I simply don't find the money needed to do it worth it xD. none the less congratulations ^^

What I'm curious about is how the hell did you manage to keep the adds attacking your pet on Emalon ? I tried it a few weeks back (with the t5) and the damage was a non-issue but the adds just would switch to me as soon as I stopped chain-MDing my pet with multishot. Just 1 tick of mend pet was pretty much enough to overaggro.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa View Post
    What I'm curious about is how the hell did you manage to keep the adds attacking your pet on Emalon ? I tried it a few weeks back (with the t5) and the damage was a non-issue but the adds just would switch to me as soon as I stopped chain-MDing my pet with multishot. Just 1 tick of mend pet was pretty much enough to overaggro.
    I made a power aura that activated every time I didn't have misdirect up. You don't need to have it up 100% of the time, but I imagine you do need it ~30% of the time. So you need to cast more MD's. Don't forget the DPS requirement is only 6667, so don't fret about the DPS loss of using a GBC.

this is not a world first or even close, dks where doing it in wraith, and hunters have been doing it since that start of cata. So really if you need to have a large epeen your gonna need to find a new way. FYI if you are going to brag about a solo kill make it a had one, like the dk that solod LK, thanks and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1207 View Post
    this is not a world first or even close, dks where doing it in wraith, and hunters have been doing it since that start of cata. So really if you need to have a large epeen your gonna need to find a new way. FYI if you are going to brag about a solo kill make it a had one, like the dk that solod LK, thanks and have a nice day.
    You...are an idiot.
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

1/5

I've been doing this every week since march, you're not the first person to solo it and if you have solod it, it's nothing to be proud of. Extremely easy to solo.

So how much hp did you and your turtle have?

Quote Originally Posted by Blada View Post
    So how much hp did you and your turtle have?
    I don't recall the exact number, but I want to say around 170k on myself.

I'm far too lazy to do the math myself, but if you want to figure it out I'm sure it wouldn't take too long. Mend pet healed my pet for almost exactly 19k/tick with 2/2 spirit bond, 2/2 blood of the rhino, and a glyphed mend pet. If you spec yourself like that and find out the ratio of hunter health:mend pet heal, you should be able to figure out how much health I had by applying it to my 19k heals.

Quote Originally Posted by hasslehoof View Post
    I've been doing this every week since march, you're not the first person to solo it and if you have solod it, it's nothing to be proud of. Extremely easy to solo.
    Regardless, to my knowledge I'm the first person to make a post about it, so I claim all bragging rights. Bragging rights are something to be proud of.