Thread: Raspberry Pi

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Raspberry Pi

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

New education-targeted Linux box computer said to be released by the end of November 2011 will cost roughly $25 dollars for Model A and $35 for Model B. the size of a credit card, the Raspberry Pi, as it's been affectionately dubbed, is the next generation in cheap educational purpose hardware available to the public. The Raspberry Pi was designed with Linux based education and cheap computing technology in mind, but the small computer is also able to run Quake 3 at a 1080 resolution. (With an average 30FPS.)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm stupidly excited over something like this. It runs Ubuntu! ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    That looks absolutely incredible. For the price I may have to get one just to say I have it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    That looks absolutely incredible. For the price I may have to get one just to say I have it!
    I fully intend on purchasing both a Model A and B. I may jerry rig a super cheap HTPC together.

But I don't like Raspberries, why couldn't it have been Strawberries? Tell me! Why?!
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

I hope they can keep their incredibly low price point. There have been so many attempts at recent years at creating a computer below a hundred dollars that the developing world can order en masse for education purposes, but they always end up being more expensive than the original plan called for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I hope they can keep their incredibly low price point. There have been so many attempts at recent years at creating a computer below a hundred dollars that the developing world can order en masse for education purposes, but they always end up being more expensive than the original plan called for.
    I can't see anything really throwing the price point off. I can see them evolving the hardware around a $60 price point (Which seems more optimal than $25, but whatever.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty cool and it would be amazing for $35.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know, I can't wait to just mess with one. Perhaps I'll put one in my computer. That'd be neat. (Compuception.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I know, I can't wait to just mess with one. Perhaps I'll put one in my computer. That'd be neat. (Compuception.)
    "Yo dawg, I heard you like computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can browse the web while you browse the web, dawg."
    -Xzibit

Deleted
    I need this. /drool

I can see them evolving the hardware around a $60 price point (Which seems more optimal than $25, but whatever.)
    This kind of defeats the purpose, since you can buy an used Pentium 4 computer for $60-90. Though you can't carry it in your pocket and the spare parts are very hard to find.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-08-30 at 08:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fully intend on purchasing both a Model A and B. I may jerry rig a super cheap HTPC together.

/drool!
    I'd have a reason to learn to use Linux too!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    "Yo dawg, I heard you like computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can browse the web while you browse the web, dawg."
    -Xzibit
    Still could use some 22" spinners yo.

Looks very cool. At that price point it would be very easy to bring these computers to a developing world. Hell every classroom could be decked out with these.

---------- Post added 2011-08-30 at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    /drool!
    I'd have a reason to learn to use Linux too!
    Surprisingly easy

Deleted
    Friend: Sweet new cinema system you got dude! Even a computer hooked up to that?
    Me: Of course, I'm running Quake on it atm.
    Friend: But... where is the actual computer? I can't see the box.
    Me: It's inside the remote you are holding.
    Friend: *Mind blown*

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Friend: Sweet new cinema system you got dude! Even a computer hooked up to that?
    Me: Of course, I'm running Quake on it atm.
    Friend: But... where is the actual computer? I can't see the box.
    Me: It's inside the remote you are holding.
    Friend: *Mind blown*
    Me: *Sweeping up brain matter*

10+ Year Old Account
    i'll take a few of those!

From my understanding it has a HDMI port integrated in it, which is great for a HTPC, but most schools from developing countries have only CRT monitors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    From my understanding it has a HDMI port integrated in it, which is great for a HTPC, but most developing world schools have only CRT monitors.
    I believe that at this stage in development they aren't thinking much about potential implementations in developing country schools. I reckon it would be fairly easy to launch a model with a VGA or DVI port instead. Judging by the videos/presentations they have made public, it's in mid-alpha stage of development.

I had the impression that it's marketed towards the developing countries. A computer for $25 that everyone can have, etc.
    Though, as you said, adding a VGA port should be easy.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-08-30 at 09:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In order to hook it up, and I didn't search very thoroughly, to a VGA monitor, you'd just need a HDMi to VGA adapter. (They sell them, believe me! ) This means that it would cost roughly $32 (http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-.../dp/B001OLCHJ6) for the Model A to be implemented in an older generation of monitors. O.o $32 computer that surfs web, runs VERY weak games (Diablo 2 anyone?) and runs basic applications (They were running Photoshop, which I'll assume is Linux compatible.) The only barrier would be the education barrier, the fact that students would probably be able to have at least a basic knowledge of how Linux works. The great thing about this is that it's so stupidly easy to network.

I think the biggest thing that will keep them from getting implemented into schools everywhere is the fact that they're so easy to steal/dick with. (Though I recently repaired a computer at school that had a piece of pencil lead wedged in the power supply fan.)