10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts on: LG Flatron IPS236V-PN 58.4 cm (23") LED LCD Monitor

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...PS236V-PN.html

LG Flatron IPS236V-PN 58.4 cm (23") LED LCD Monitor

6 ms - 16:9 - Adjustable Display Angle - 1920 x 1080 - 250 cd/m² - 1000:1 - DVI - HDMI - VGA - Glossy Black

£149.99 inc vat
    (£124.99 ex vat)

Just sold my Samsung 2233RZ 120Hz 3D screen, looking to get this instead... Wondering what other peoples thoughts are...

Deleted
    I got that exact screen and I love it. For that price, you can hardly get better. That being said, it's far from the best 23" IPS display on the market, and is mediocre compared to the Dell U2311H. If you want the best, that screen isn't it. But it's price/performance ratio is fairly high I reckon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read some reviews about it, when I was trying to choose between this one and Dell U2311h. Most people said that is was really good, comparable with the Dell one.
    The only difference they seem to mention was the difference on colours due to the different kind of backlight, so most reviewers/users suggested to buy the cheaper one.

(Marest's post confused me, but since he uses one he knows better!)

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm... ok.... I like this one because it's well.... not too expensive 8-) but I have yet to find somewhere that shows working TN/IPS panels side by side so I can actually see what difference there is...

Dell really doesn't appeal to me... no matter what people say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    hmm... ok.... I like this one because it's well.... not too expensive 8-) but I have yet to find somewhere that shows working TN/IPS panels side by side so I can actually see what difference there is...
    Internet is a poor place for screen comparison side-by-side. Head to a large tech-store and have a look. As I said, it is an excellent screen for that price and I'm confident that you will be pleased with it.

Edit: Alright, I'll give you a short review of the screen:
    It's contrast is superb, and the black is actually very black and dark. The white takes a bit of configuration to get really "white", and while I am happy with the settings I have it on right now there is still a bit of blue in the white. Other than that, the colours are superb. My parents have a very expensive plasma TV downstairs (30k SEK+) which is some 4 years old and is supposed to have superb colour quality. I think this screen looks better than that.
    The thing that bothers me is that the LED back lightning isn't perfect, and if you display black only you will see that the "shine" is a bit stronger from the left (you have to focus to see this, it's nothing I have noticed in movies/games). Another thing that bothers me is the purple and blue haze coming from the bottom left and right corners at extreme viewing angles.

Side to side with my BenQ E2200HDA it really looks amazing, but put it next to a higher quality IPS screen and I'm sure you will start to notice minor flaws. I should also mention that it took me a bit of fiddling to get the contrast and colours where I wanted them.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-30 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ahh much too lazy to fiddle with it for much more than 5mins.....

oh well :-) sent the guy an email see if he can give me a better price :-)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-08-30 at 08:27 PM.

Looks decent.
    I think it's LG whom is Dell's OEM when it comes to the UltraSharp series, but I'm not sure.

Deleted
    ahh much too lazy to fiddle with it for much more than 5mins.....
    I am the same, so after 2 minutes I call it "fiddle a lot" ^^ I think it took me around 8 minutes to get the exact quality of colour and contrast that I was looking for. There are presets that work just fine though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't mind someone explaining to me just how they work out the contrast ratio.... as some screens seem to have ridiculously "high" ratios eg:
    100,000:1 whereas others only have 1000:1 what exactly does that mean?

I don't like Dell either. But you know, they don't make the panels in their monitors, they're mostly all LG panels.

Don't trust the contrast ratios honestly. There's multiple ways to test it, like gray to gray or something, and they all use the one that "looks" the best on paper, but not telling you which it is.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Wouldn't mind someone explaining to me just how they work out the contrast ratio.... as some screens seem to have ridiculously "high" ratios eg:
    100,000:1 whereas others only have 1000:1 what exactly does that mean?
    It really depends how they measure it. They can shuffle those numbers a lot based on that.

Check here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contras...of_measurement

And this "review" explains it pretty well, even if it's directed towards HDTVs:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10148015-1.html

Edit:
    Gizmodo writes:
    So what should I make of all this contrast ratio bragging going on? The best bet is to ignore it entirely. It is marketing hype. Contrast ratio is the least important number to look at when making a purchase. Judge with your own eyes—it's worth noting that your eyes recognize contrast far more clearly than resolution, which is why a 1080p screen with low contrast may not look as good as a 720p screen with high contrast. Enthusiast magazines such as Perfect Vision and Home Theater do their own contrast ratio tests on screens they review, which is a good option. But ultimately, those publications agree with me (http://www.hometheater.com/geoffreym...11705contrast/).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-30 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    I don't like Dell either. But you know, they don't make the panels in their monitors, they're mostly all LG panels.

Don't trust the contrast ratios honestly. There's multiple ways to test it, like gray to gray or something, and they all use the one that "looks" the best on paper, but not telling you which it is.
    In which case I'd rather buy the LG anyway :-)

I just bought one last week, my only complaint is the backlight bleed on the right. Don't really notice it during normal use though, the colors are great compared to my old TN panel and no real ghosting to speak of. Wish it was 16:10 though!

That is a pretty good price, I paid 200 USD.

In which case I'd rather buy the LG anyway :-)
    Might not be able to with some sizes. There doesn't seem to be an LG made equivalent to my U3011 for example. They used to make a 30", but I believe the panel was different than mine, and is discontinued.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    LG makes quality monitors, my Flatron W1953T has been going strong for a few years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might not be able to with some sizes. There doesn't seem to be an LG made equivalent to my U3011 for example. They used to make a 30", but I believe the panel was different than mine, and is discontinued.
    Considering it's being plugged into a 15.6" laptop, I doub't a 30" screen would be appropriate.

What other decent screens are out there for the same sort of money?

Just saying LG makes panels that they themselves do not use in their own displays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saying LG makes panels that they themselves do not use in their own displays.
    there could be any number of possible reasons for that....

1) Dell bought exclusivity of the panel, meaning that only Dell can use it
    2) LG has no faith in the panel
    2.1) The panel doesn't meet LG's quality control standard.

Well, after some more research, the panel LM300WQ5 was used in the LG 30", but is no longer made. But the same panel is used in the Dell U3011, and several other 30" displays from other manufacturers, including the NEC I would prefer to have over the Dell. But that thing is already twice the cost of the U3011.