Headphones for ASUS Xonar Essence SXT

Built a sweet gaming rig about 6 weeks ago. Over the weekend I bought an ASUS Xonar Essence SXT, which is designed for use with headphones. I currently am using a Klipsch 2.1 system with it, and it sounds great. But...headphones....I need a nice pair to get the most out of the card.

Any recommendations of nice headphones? Preferably with a mic for vent.

Corsair Gaming Audio Series HS1A Analogue Gaming Headset
    I've been using them for half a year now and they are really good. Excelent sound with strong bass and really comfortable. Not flimsy at all. Excelent value for the money.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    Price range would help.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

I guess I'd like to spend under $150...but if I had to go a little over that I'd be fine.

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 09:35 AM ----------

These M50s look great. I think I may splurge...

Also, I have considered the Corsair ones...about half the parts in my build are Corsair...they make great products.

I dunno how the good the amp is in the STX to be honest but the amp (which is what they mean when they say designed for use with headphones) is meant for driving demanding audio equipment like Sennheiser HD650s.

A cheaper version would be the HD595s, which I have at the moment, they don't require anywhere near as much power and run fine with no amp. Hopefully one day I can get an amp and the HD650s though, that's lotsa money however!

These aren't gaming headsets though, gaming headsets are unlikely to 'unlock the audio potiential' of your stx

EDIT The m50s look pretty ideal.
    Last edited by Beasty; 2011-09-01 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbery View Post
    Also, I have considered the Corsair ones...about half the parts in my build are Corsair...they make great products.
    If the analog ones are anything like the USB HS1 I had, they don't sound that good (IMO) Upper mid range and highs were very harsh sounding... anytime anyone would make an "S" sound on vent would be like taking an ice pick to your eardrums (and EQ changes were only a bandaid fix at best). I'm currently using Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 headphones with a Zalman clip-on microphone. I'd definitely recommend going the headphones + mic route with that sound card as it lets you pick your headphones more specifically

The amp is good, I also have the soundcard and for my Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones and the quality is fantastic. It does have a option for 0dB, +12dB (64-300ohm) and +18dB (300-600ohm). Personally I wouldn't buy cheap headphones for a soundcard like this, since you'll just waste the money you put on that card that way.

Also just finished DX:HR and the sound kept me going for 8h straight "oh Sh** it's 6am already".
    Last edited by Kankipappa; 2011-09-01 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbery View Post
    Coming from someone with a Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM and a Corsair SSD, I wouldn't touch Corsair sound. I've read good things about their speakers, but I'd still have something better.

As for the headset HS1, I've only come across the USB-version before. It's not impressive at all, sadly.
    An amp might help them, but good sound is always good sound, and HS1 is not.

Since I live in Sweden, with a limited supply of products, I can't speak for anything I haven't tested. But I have a pair of Sennheisers, and I recommend the HD555/558. If you can find 595/598 more inexpensive, they are a sure buy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Coming from someone with a Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM and a Corsair SSD, I wouldn't touch Corsair sound. I've read good things about their speakers, but I'd still have something better.

As for the headset HS1, I've only come across the USB-version before. It's not impressive at all, sadly.
    An amp might help them, but good sound is always good sound, and HS1 is not.

Since I live in Sweden, with a limited supply of products, I can't speak for anything I haven't tested. But I have a pair of Sennheisers, and I recommend the HD555/558. If you can find 595/598 more inexpensive, they are a sure buy, though.
    Sennheisers wont give that soundcard a sweat though, the M50s on the other hand... now they might..

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Sennheisers wont give that soundcard a sweat though, the M50s on the other hand... now they might..
    I am confused to your response and why you quoted me in particular. Are you suggesting I should be familiar with the M50s, whom I've not heard of until now, as they, while availible, aren't as readily availible (almost have to import from other countries), not to mention costing more than 50% extra? Because I am not. As I indicated in my post, I can only speak of things I have experience with. :P

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I am confused to your response and why you quoted me in particular. Are you suggesting I should be familiar with the M50s, whom I've not heard of until now, as they, while availible, aren't as readily availible (almost have to import from other countries), not to mention costing more than 50% extra? Because I am not. As I indicated in my post, I can only speak of things I have experience with. :P
    Dunno, just sayin' that the sennheisers are kinda easy-to-drive. as in they wont put the soundcard to good use.
    Last edited by Keller; 2011-09-01 at 06:19 PM.