Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermuncher View Post
    Fine for some real adive, couldn't help trolling. Buy a 955(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103808) and a 212+(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065)
    sorry that you couldn't help but violate forum CoC.

while a good buy, it's worth it to wait and see how BD does at this point, or simply switch to a sandybridge system.

Probably gonna hijack this thread but since the Issue is resolved anyway, I hope its ok, Anyhow...
    I have a GTS450 on a semi old PC, its a C2Q Q9400 OC'd to 3.2ghz.
    I would love to ask a few questions...

Would you consider this GPU bottlenecked?

Is it important to have the ratio of FSB and DRam such that FSB < DRam ? Currently its 1:1 I realize this is ... old stuff as DDR3 is alot different than DDR2

Ram timings, I know smaller is better but what does this do exactly?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    Probably gonna hijack this thread but since the Issue is resolved anyway, I hope its ok, Anyhow...
    I have a GTS450 on a semi old PC, its a C2Q Q9400 OC'd to 3.2ghz.
    I would love to ask a few questions...

Would you consider this GPU bottlenecked?

Is it important to have the ratio of FSB and DRam such that FSB < DRam ? Currently its 1:1 I realize this is ... old stuff as DDR3 is alot different than DDR2

Ram timings, I know smaller is better but what does this do exactly?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread
    I used to know, but then I bought a Revodrive and I cant overclock anymore =/

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc View Post
    Unfortunately the 7950 is toast, see the OP's reply, above.
    Ah doh. =/
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately the 7950 is toast, see the OP's reply, above.

It might be that the drivers somehow think you still have the 7950 installed and are getting themselves tied up in knots. You can get Nvidia driver "cleaner" software which will remove the old drivers, so you can install sparkly new ones. Worth a try.

Oh, and you did remember to plug the extra power lead into the video card didn't you?
    Removing the old drivers with driver sweeper after uninstalling was the first thing I did before I popped the new card in, the cables are plugged in as well. Thanks though!

Oh well, the rest of the new PC should be here in about 2 weeks and I'll be good to go. My only other question is, can using it in this state damage any of the parts at all?
    Last edited by Rhokzor; 2011-09-02 at 09:25 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    Well, I understand for someone using those types of programs, but just seeing it on a gamer forum I basically assume "Some dumb ass has 24 gigs of RAM for no reason." lol. Good to know you actually use it.

(Btw, I actually do know a couple people who had 16 GB of RAM with basically shit-tier motherboards and graphics cards. That's why I ask.)
    If you were to look at the red text in his sig, you would notice he folds, as well. >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    Is the understatement of the century. IMO, You'd be better off rocking the 7950 till you can put together a new rig.
    Actually that is not true in the least bit.

I just bought the same card myself and my system is much older than his (actually lacks a Pcie-2.0 slot)
    The support team at Evga insured it would run just as well as it would in a brand new machine as long as I used it as a stand alone card and did not try to run Sli.

Also I should note that last I checked wow did not have true multi core processor support (the they dig jerryrig support for 2 cores) which means he would actually get a performance increase by getting a higher clocked atlhonx2 (this is theoretical Wow might actually utilize more than 2 cores now) "which would be awesome because wow chews up your processor cycles like nobodies business."

Last but least he is using Windows Xp which you guessed it doesn't support multi core processors at all so he would benefit a great deal from purchasing windows 7 or finding a old copy of Vista
    Last edited by skrump; 2011-09-02 at 09:34 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Actually that is not true in the least bit.

I just bought the same card myself and my system is much older than his (actually lacks a Pcie-2.0 slot)
    The support team at Evga insured it would run just as well as it would in a brand new machine as long as I used it as a stand alone card and did not try to run Sli.

Also I should note that last I checked wow did not have true multi core processor support (the they dig jerryrig support for 2 cores) which means he would actually get a performance increase by getting a higher clocked atlhonx2 (this is theoretical Wow might actually utilize more than 2 cores now)

Last but least he is using Windows Xp which you guessed it doesn't support multi core processors at all so he would benefit a great deal from purchasing windows 7 or finding a old copy of Vista
    An older CPU will bottleneck a beast like the GTX 570, EVGA just wanted you to buy their product. The GPU will do its job, however the amount of stuff it will be able to do in terms of gaming, will be bottle-necked by what your CPU can calculate, a better, newer, higher clocked, multi-core CPU will bottle-neck it less.
    And I know for fact that WoW does take advantage of multi-core CPUs, I had it spread across my 4 cores, granted it did a larger amount on one core, but it still runs miles better than it ever did on my old dual core.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    In my experience E-VGA products are garbage, the card is bottle necking your system not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i see the trolls have invaded the computer threads
    Not sure how that was trolling, I have owned many E-VGA cards and they have all ran awful I could never get more then 30 FPS no matter what the set up was. They are cheap cards and they show with the way the preform.

Deleted
    Not sure how that was trolling, I have owned many E-VGA cards and they have all ran awful I could never get more then 30 FPS no matter what the set up was. They are cheap cards and they show with the way the preform.
    Seems like you either had some low end cards, or been dam unlucky, evga is in the top end of gpu makers.

AMD Phenoms are complete garbage, i had one too in my pre-built best buy computer. I've since learned from my mistakes and built my own computer this year for 700 bucks and it would give those geek squad guys at best buy an e-boner at the frames I get on Ultra playing Wow.
    And yes EVGA are some of the nicest cards out there as far as engineering goes, Wow is a CPU hog, it would never be bottlenecked at the GPU unless your running an integrated chip.
    Last edited by Injinjpow; 2011-09-02 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1 View Post
    Seems like you either had some low end cards, or been dam unlucky, evga is in the top end of gpu makers.
    You must know very little since Evga does not make GPU's they make cards and stick Nvidia's GPU on the board.

15+ Year Old Account
    You must know very little since Evga does not make GPU's they make cards and stick Nvidia's GPU on the board.
    EVGA is known as one of the best card producers on the market, especially recently. They are reliable, offer amazing warranties, and generally have very well applied heat solutions (without sloppy thermal paste, etc).

I love my EVGA card, and it overclocked even further than the factory overclock with no issues whatsoever.

Can OP's old motherboard even handle PCI-E cards ?

Quote Originally Posted by Injinjpow View Post
    AMD Phenoms are complete garbage, i had one too in my pre-built best buy computer. I've since learned from my mistakes and built my own computer this year for 700 bucks and it would give those geek squad guys at best buy an e-boner at the frames I get on Ultra playing Wow.
    And yes EVGA are some of the nicest cards out there as far as engineering goes, Wow is a CPU hog, it would never be bottlenecked at the GPU unless your running an integrated chip.
    They're complete garbage? Really? Cause they seem to work fine for me. (I built my system about 5 months before SB, if only I had waited.)

OT: Yes, that's a major bottleneck, as everyone has already said. I don't even think they sell Phenom Is anymore, or atleast I haven't seen any on newegg.
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefenseSystem View Post
    They're complete garbage? Really? Cause they seem to work fine for me. (I built my system about 5 months before SB, if only I had waited.)

OT: Yes, that's a major bottleneck, as everyone has already said. I don't even think they sell Phenom Is anymore, or atleast I haven't seen any on newegg.
    Yes, the Phenoms were not so good. The Phenom II however....

15+ Year Old Account

Phenoms are top of the line before the i series of processors. Well, certain models of them, at least. Know what you are getting when you get them.

In terms of buying NOW, yes, there are quite a few options that surpass the Phenom. But still a rock solid CPU.

Deleted
    He's talking about the original Phenom line, which the op has, and which honestly were quite bad. Phenom II's are a whole different story.

Deleted
    well , wow is very very CPU heavy , i get 70fps in dungeons on my laptop with integrated graphix just because i have an i7 on it

>a good CPU can carry a bad GPU
    >a bad CPU can''t carry a good GPU

10+ Year Old Account
    M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
    well , wow is very very CPU heavy , i get 70fps in dungeons on my laptop with integrated graphix just because i have an i7 on it

>a good CPU can carry a bad GPU
    >a bad CPU can''t carry a good GPU
    I dont feel that is the case, its true wow is a cpu intense game but that doesnt mean you can neglect the gpu, an i7 paired with a GT series card will not run increadibly well. I like to think of my computer as the human body, you cant neglect 1 part of the body while strengthening anouther and expect superman, everything works together, a powerfull mind and strong muscles will always trump a powerful mind, and a mallnutritioned body or a muscle physic but a brain dead ... Well brain.

Its all about balanced, as is everything in life.