Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As stated before, Krav Maga is a great practical self defense "martial art". Have been taking it for a year and it's pretty much do whatever you have to in order to save yourself or family/friends as well as being a very aggressive fighting style.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think if your trying to find something practical try Krav Maga, but if you want to fight against other skilled fighters try Muay Thai .
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

LMAO @ the video a couple of posts above. One of the most absurdly fake 'martial arts' videos i've ever seen. Reminds me of the video below. There's a reason traditional martial arts aren't seen in the competitive fighting world - they simply dont work. The above video is absolutely hysterically bad.

Last edited by Rawt; 2011-10-28 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennydabull View Post
    LMAO @ the video a couple of posts above. One of the most absurdly fake 'martial arts' videos i've ever seen. Reminds me of the video below. There's a reason traditional martial arts aren't seen in the competitive fighting world - they simply dont work. The above video is absolutely hysterically bad.
    Alright, Ill give this one a quote.

Now, I'll preface this comment by stating that the 3 martial arts I train are brazilian jiu jitsu, jeet kune do, and mixed martial arts, so you would agree these are some of the more 'useful' ones, yes?

Wrong. Every martial art has its uses. Traditional martial arts teach discipline and respect, as well as fighting. They will also do the same as the others in that they will increase confidence, and with said confidence there shouldn't be a time when you have to fight.

Just because something doesn't teach you how to handle yourself on the streets, doesn't mean it's useless and people shouldn't train in it. Tai Chi is a perfect example here. Yeah, you might not use Tai Chi stuff in a real situation, but it does teach relaxation, breathing (VERY important. Seriously, ask any ufc fighter, breathing is a huge thing) and will also give confidence. TMAs are far from 'useless', just because they are not directly useful in something like the ufc.

As I've said twice in this thread. People will just quote some martial art and tell you to do it. Ignore them. It's about you and it's about the place. Check out every martial arts place nearby. See what they are like, watch a session. See if the way it's taught, what's taught and the people there all work for you. It's far more about the place, the people and the instructor than it is the art itself.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Just because something doesn't teach you how to handle yourself on the streets, doesn't mean it's useless and people shouldn't train in it.
    I agree fully, the discipline gained is a huge part of it, however, this thread was about self defense. There's no better example of what works and what doesn't than in the professional fighting world.

---------- Post added 2011-10-28 at 08:36 AM ----------

I also just wanted to let you know, that even though you're from the UK, i hold no ill will towards you over Michael Bisping

I agree fully, the discipline gained is a huge part of it, however, this thread was about self defense. There's no better example of what works and what doesn't than in the professional fighting world.

---------- Post added 2011-10-28 at 08:36 AM ----------

I also just wanted to let you know, that even though you're from the UK, i hold no ill will towards you over Michael Bisping
    I hold much ill to my own people over Michael Bisping.
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.

Haha! I'm not sure if you are a member of mma.tv, but one of the fighters on this season of The Ultimate Fighter posted that he took Bisping's mouthpiece and gave it a swirly int he toilet during a training session.

It's an amusing read.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ece-a-swirlie/

We should start a ufc thread to discuss all things ufc! We totally should! Im totally starting one now!
    Last edited by Darkdruidelf; 2011-10-28 at 12:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    Krav maga or jeet jun do, these are practical styles with no bullshit. you will not be required to learn japanese, or do useless but fancy high kicks. Krav maga especially teaches you to be a very dirty fighter.
    Still, I wouldn't diss martial arts that teach some fancy moves because to do some fancy looking high jumping kicks for example, how impractical they might be in fighting, requires much agility which is a great thing to train, and precision. I practiced taekwon-do for years. It had a very wide arrange of techniques and practices. There was the tul part (Like performing techniques in a specific pattern), sparring, self defense etc. It was fun and I learned alot.
    I'm thinking about taking classes in something called shorinji kempo. It seems to be a very diverse, useful and just plain cool looking art. I can't deny that my interest in martial arts is alot about the aesthetic part OP, you could check these two mentions out if you haven't already. I would start looking what martial art clubs there are nearby your area or where you're willing to travel though.
    Speaking of jeet kune do (Eightace), I would definitely be interested in practicing it if there was a dojo somewhere nearby. Bruce Lee is kind of an idol to me.
    Last edited by mmocf128060ac7; 2011-10-28 at 01:00 PM.

Deleted
    There's a reason traditional martial arts aren't seen in the competitive fighting world - they simply dont work. The above video is absolutely hysterically bad.
    I agree with you that traditional martial arts isn t realy meant for competitive fighting world. But traditional martial arts teaches you alot of spirit and some sort of way of life and not just simple self defence. If you are just looking for effective self defence then take one of those "new" systems.

"The Lightbringer Join DateJan 2011LocationEnglandPosts3,784
    Krav maga or jeet jun do, these are practical styles with no bullshit. you will not be required to learn japanese, or do useless but fancy high kicks. Krav maga especially teaches you to be a very dirty fighter."

That's the best bullshit I've ever seen. Krav/Jeet is trash. It's commercial. If want to learn to 'fight' MMA is the way to go. And yes, I'm a fighter (tournaments, not street).
    'Street fighting' is just a term people without discipline to learn a real art use to look cool'.

---------- Post added 2011-10-29 at 01:54 PM ----------

@ Dachoson1, BJJ + Muay Thai = nice indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oniax View Post
    "The Lightbringer Join DateJan 2011LocationEnglandPosts3,784
    Krav maga or jeet jun do, these are practical styles with no bullshit. you will not be required to learn japanese, or do useless but fancy high kicks. Krav maga especially teaches you to be a very dirty fighter."

That's the best bullshit I've ever seen. Krav/Jeet is trash. It's commercial. If want to learn to 'fight' MMA is the way to go. And yes, I'm a fighter (tournaments, not street).
    'Street fighting' is just a term people without discipline to learn a real art use to look cool'.

---------- Post added 2011-10-29 at 01:54 PM ----------

@ Dachoson1, BJJ + Muay Thai = nice indeed!
    Calling them total bullshit just shows your lack of knowledge. You know there are JKD based fighters in the UFC. If they are such bullshit, why not go get your ass handed to you by them.

Deleted
    kung fu is a defensive martial art and very useful and please nobody suggest ninjitsu as its illegal to study in most if not all countries in the western world as its a form of asasassination

@ Bolvarmew, Obvious troll is obvious.

---------- Post added 2011-10-29 at 02:25 PM ----------

@ Darkdruidelf, tell me a name of 1 MMA fighter that has reached anything by pure JKD

Krav Maga cause it sounds awesome.
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

[/COLOR]@ Darkdruidelf, tell me a name of 1 MMA fighter that has reached anything by pure JKD
    Obviously not pure JKD, but that doesnt make it pointless.

Show me one fighter who's reached anything by pure Muay Thai? Oh, whats that, they all train BJJ too. Cool, so under your logic Muay Thai is useless.

You cant just say everyone should do X martial art, I mean seriously, every martial art has its benefits, you cant just say this is good and this isnt.

Ok then tell me the name of one fighter that effectively uses JKD/Krav in MMA. Not just JKD/Krav, but effectively uses atleast some moves of it that are not moves from other disciplines.

Ok then tell me the name of one fighter that effectively uses JKD/Krav in MMA. Not just JKD/Krav, but effectively uses atleast some moves of it that are not moves from other disciplines.
    You know that JKD is a mixture of several martial arts, so obviously the moves will be from other disciplines...

Seriously, read up on stuff before commenting like this dude.

So what did JKD add to the mix then?

So what did JKD add to the mix then?
    A mixture. You may not have known this, since this was before mma was a big thing, or even really a thing, but there were no mixed styles, because every style claimed they would teach you everything you would ever need to do anything.

Every question you have asked can be answered right here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do
    One of the only martial arts, especially at that time, to focus on combat realism over flowery techniques. So you calling it trash...well, just shows you haven't even read the wikipedia file.