Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Mumble is better by far, for the reason the person above me stated.

On vent you just can't hera some people, and some people makes your ears explode.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get lag in mumble.

I like it more.

I don't know why but my ventrilo has an MS of like 3000 even though it says 78.

15+ Year Old Account
    my friends guild (my old one) just went to mumble and he loves it. it will lower music whenever someone is talking, auto-corrects all voice levels so one person isn't ridic loud and everyone else mouse-silent. seems like a very solid program and a great competitor to vent
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble for me. The quality is similar but the lag difference is substantial. Its biggest selling point for me was the fact that it quiets my music when certain people speak in mumble. We try to keep channels clear during bosses so I'm able to absolutely blast my music but not miss anything if someone's got a call-out or "ohsnap" moment.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Mumble has tons of features and very well handling of bandwidth.

Ventrilo is the "good old VOIP software that everyone uses and knows inside out", but I feel Mumble is the next step. I prefer it over both Ventrilo and Teamspeak.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatepeople View Post
    Mumble by a landslide....way better sound quality imo and cooler options (ie the overlay to see who's talking on your screen)
    I agree, it's definitely worth using over ventrilo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mumble:
    • Better sound quality that adjusts for your internet connection speed (and their codec works on macs)
    • WAY less voice latency
    • Sound level automatically adjusts without having to set up a bunch of settings for it
    • Open source, frequently updated, and much better support
    • Their free server (Murmur) has all the options of professional Ventrilo servers without paying out the butt for it (free Vent is limited to 10 users - screw that)

Ventrilo:
    • More people are comfortable with it
    • More people use it so it is better in pugs
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

After being on mumble exclusively for about 3 months, I got on the old vent for a revisit with friends. I was appalled at how mushy everything was.

I've also noticed most people who struggle with lag or bad sound on mumble never went through and completed the sound wizard. Mumble is built around you configuring it, so don't' neglect it!

The only other issue I can't seem to solve is some of my guildies want to use the alt/shift/ctrl button for their push to talk, but mumble doesn't supress those modifier keys as much as vent does, which can lead to odd behavior.

mumble>vent, big time
    there is no delay when using mumble

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Ventrilo:
    Can't stress that enough.

I used to lead a raid group and it was such a pain in the ass to get pugs from trade to download it, install it and log in just so they could bitch about something and piss off half an hour later lol.

:s

Quote Originally Posted by woxingma View Post
    The only other issue I can't seem to solve is some of my guildies want to use the alt/shift/ctrl button for their push to talk, but mumble doesn't supress those modifier keys as much as vent does, which can lead to odd behavior.
    I haven't had a problem with it on mumble. conversely though, it's become a problem with ventrilo. Sometimes my PTT wont do anything <_< lol
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2011-09-07 at 10:27 PM.

I quite like mumble except for the reason stated above about pugs and new members. It works great, has wonderful custom-ability. I can set priority speakers so that it quiets non raid leaders when a RL is speaking. Also the ability to push to talk officer chat instead of changing channels (and all officers can hear the officer chat no matter what channel they're in). User management is great and the on screen display to see who is talking is beyond helpful.

But yeah, getting new people to use it isn't easy, and there are a couple of people who just don't get that running the audio setup wizard is mandatory. But then again, those are probably the same people who are OMFG Too Loud or WTF are you saying too soft.

Mumble:
    • Better sound quality that adjusts for your internet connection speed (and their codec works on macs)
    • WAY less voice latency
    • Sound level automatically adjusts without having to set up a bunch of settings for it
    • Open source, frequently updated, and much better support
    • Their free server (Murmur) has all the options of professional Ventrilo servers without paying out the butt for it (free Vent is limited to 10 users - screw that)

Ventrilo:
    This sums up my feelings almost completely. Thank you.

Deleted
    Teamspeak 3 > Mumble >>>>>>>>>> Ventrilo

Vent seems an American thing, whereas more European/guilds that play FPS's use TS3, then the inbetweens use mumble.

ok..so mumble is better so more people should use it more. pugs or not i think if its promoted more it will get used more. though more people have vent.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

You probably wouldn't notice any difference between 2 similarly configured vent / mumble servers.

So far what everyone has described (sound difference, PTT key click, quality, background sound level change) can be automated or changed to match.

I'm sure that there's an auto-equalize somewhere in ventrilo... Or you can at least do the following: link.

You can turn the push to talk key click off, by un-ticking "play key clicks". (You'd have to get everyone to turn it off).

The quality difference is more than likely the fact that you're using a different Codec for each server, and at a different bit rate.

There's a sound-dip in Windows 7 which adjusts your volume lower when someones talking on vent link.

The difference in latency can be affected by a lot of factors, so I won't bother commenting.

I personally prefer vent over mumble, and wouldn't even consider TS.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Ventrilo:
    Essentially this, I dont/wont use mumble, some people say its better, I say some people should get better mics. I have never had a problem with anyone on vent who doesnt use a kmart 10$ mic.

I enjoy one thing about mumble, how much they get trolled when they pug in trade with the phrase 'please have mumble'.

On a serious note as far as pugging goes my guild doesnt pug our regular raids, but we do a fair amount of alt run pugs, I have hosted gdkps, mount runs, RBGs, and I doubt I would ever get anyone to use mumble for a pug, and for a guild I dont suggest it unless you never pug anything ever.
    Farewell WoW Pandaland
    Intel i5 2.67 OC 3.3ghz | ATI 6950 850mhz OC 920Stable 950 Push 1000Insane

I'm more comfortable with vent but I looove the ingame overlay in mumble.

Started with vent for competitive CS and wont ever change!

I want to use mumble, but my guild uses vent...Can I use mumble while everyone else uses vent? JUST A QUESTION

Deleted
    Vent has to much noise when someone talks. I prefer mumble/ts.