Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking to Upgrade for Skyrim!

Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my computer, prior to the upcoming release of ES: Skyrim, definately wanting to get this game for PC.
    But, although I can play some less demanding games, I'm often having to play them on lower settings, and am curious, to what I need to upgrade, and if possible, what with.
    Here's the spec.

Processor
    Intel® Core™ i3-2100
    - 3.1 GHz
    - DMI: 5GT/s
    - 3 MB L3 cache
    - Dual Core

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM 4 GB DDR3

Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce G405 with 1GB memory

Hard drive 1.5 TB SATA 5400 rpm

Optical disk drive Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

USB 6 USB 2.0 ports

Modem/Ethernet Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface

WiFi Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n

Video interface DVI (VGA via adapter), HDMI

Audio interface 1 audio line in
    1 audio line out
    1 analog audio in
    2 analog audio out
    TV output TV (DVB-T) tuner card, MPEG 4
    Expansion card slot 3 PCI-Express x1
    1 PCI-Express x16

Any help would be great, thanks.

Deleted
    I'm no PC expert so can't advise on upgrades. However I can say that your computer should be able to run skyrim fine at high graphics with reasonable FPS. The game engine for Skyrim still has to run on the (comparatively) ancient hardware within Xbox 360 and PS3 as well. While it is obviously going to be a big, fancy, graphical game, you should be able to run it fine on that.

Deleted
    Well, that GPU is (to put it in nice words) complete shit for gaming (http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-405-oem). I'd suggest that you upgrade to a 460 (budget) 560 ti (medium) or a 570/580 (high-end). Considering your i3 2100, the 560 ti would probably be perfect.

Would be great if you posted your PSU (brand/model or the specification sheet) so we can ensure that it would be capable of handling a new GPU.

Edit: I'm just going to assume that this is a pre-built computer? If so, you will most likely need a PSU upgrade as well.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-11 at 01:30 PM.

You might want to wait for Skyrim and see what happens.

Basically,
    if low consistent FPS - processor
    if low max FPS - graphics

That's really condensed though, and you should check back when it's relevant.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pav...52173-pdt.html

That's the spec sheet, I pretty much just copy/pasted anything I thought would be relevant.

My logic is that I've been playing Oblivion fairly recently, and I've been playing on medium on that.
    I'm fairly certain I'd be able to play it, but I've had constant FPS issues on higher ES:O settings, as well as SC2, to some extent and Dead Island etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesmason View Post
    I'm no PC expert so can't advise on upgrades. However I can say that your computer should be able to run skyrim fine at high graphics with reasonable FPS. The game engine for Skyrim still has to run on the (comparatively) ancient hardware within Xbox 360 and PS3 as well. While it is obviously going to be a big, fancy, graphical game, you should be able to run it fine on that.
    *notsureifserious*

The G405 is only found in pre-built systems, so you'll need to upgrade your PSU aswell.
    I'd advise getting something along the lines of an i5 2500k and a 560 ti.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixphire View Post
    That's the spec sheet, I pretty much just copy/pasted anything I thought would be relevant.

My logic is that I've been playing Oblivion fairly recently, and I've been playing on medium on that.
    I'm fairly certain I'd be able to play it, but I've had constant FPS issues on higher ES:O settings, as well as SC2, to some extent and Dead Island etc.
    Doesn't say anything about the PSU as far as I can see. You need to open it up, locate the PSU and then note down what the specification sheet says. The interesting part is how much current (amp) it can deliver on the 12V rails. Chances are big that this is just a no-brand PSU with a pretty low throughput.

Well, they are talking about a re-written engine with a lot more effects. I have no doubt that it would at least run on the lowest settings. But would it run good? Look good? Doubtful. Only way to find out is to wait and see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Targy View Post
    *notsureifserious*

The G405 is only found in pre-built systems, so you'll need to upgrade your PSU aswell.
    This is a good point. My apologies I didn't see the Graphics Card, was looking more at processor etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Targy View Post
    Little point upgrading to a 2500k if you already have an i3 2100. It's like going from a GTX 560 ti to a GTX 570/580. The i3 2100 is a mighty fine gaming CPU for it's price.

Deleted

RAM 4 GB DDR3

Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce G405 with 1GB memory
    Your graphics card is letting you down. If your willing to spend a little bit then I would recommend getting a Nvidia gtx 570. This card can play every game out on the highest settings. I would also recommend getting another 2GB of memory although it isnt vital.

I'd replace the HDD too. 5400 RPM in a stationary computer? Come on, HP, that's just being stupid.

Personally, I'd target a Radeon HD 6850. You may not have to upgrade the powersupply then, since it's a really light-weight on power, but I don't trust prebuilts to have anything worth the time.

What's your budget?

I just built a new PC for roughly $700 (no case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard drive, or dvd drive)

According to many PC gamers it should run BF3 and Skyrim no problem

i5 2500k
    560ti
    8gb ram

Deleted
    Minimum System Requirements
    * CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Althon X2 2.0 GHz
    * RAM: 3 GB
    * HDD: 15 GB
    * Graphics: 512 MB card
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Recommended System Requirements
    * CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
    * RAM: 3 GB
    * HDD: 15 GB free disk space
    * Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c

i googled 'recommended system requirements skyrim' this was in the first link

--------------

Supported Graphics Cards:
    Minimum – 8800 GT
    Recommended – Geforce GTX 460/Radeon 5850
    Last edited by mmoc5057faa289; 2011-09-11 at 03:17 PM. Reason: no gpu specified so here

I'd really recommend linking where you got that.

honestly the proessor is fine for playing games only the only reason to go quad core is if you want to do more things at the same time (a game only stresses 2 core a 100% the other 2 only get 20-30% of use)

but getting a GTX 460 or a GTX 560 ti (the ti part is inportant) or if you like amd go for a 5800 series card (the might be last gen but they are cheaper and faster than the latest gen)

you will also need to uppgrade you powersupply (if you get a good powersupply it will be fine for you next build aswell)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzunki View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to thoroughly hate random, unsourced statements with a passion is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiankh View Post
    I would also recommend getting another 2GB of memory although it isnt vital.
    No. He'll no longer benefit for dual channel and most games don't need more than 4GB. (according to the requirements linked above, 3GB are enough)

So if I get the GTX 560 ti graphic card, and a new power supply (Any suggestions on this?)

I should be fine in regards to FPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixphire View Post
    So if I get the GTX 560 ti graphic card, and a new power supply (Any suggestions on this?)

I should be fine in regards to FPS?
    What's the budget for the PSU ?
    SeaSonic S12II or M12II or X Gold are very good.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-12 at 11:43 AM.