Cool [Macro] Who has Tol Barad?

Hey everyone. I made this fancy macro that checks out which faction that owns Tol Barad.

Just create a new macro, name it anything, put any icon (doesn't matter) and put the macro on your bars somewhere.

Upon clicking the macro, it will change appearance and name, depending on who owns TB.

The Macro
    Code:
    /run function rt(str) if str=="Horde Controlled" then EditMacro(GetRunningMacro(),y,232) elseif str=="Alliance Controlled" then EditMacro(GetRunningMacro(),y,218) end; end;
    /run SetMapZoom(2,32);x,y=GetMapLandmarkInfo(1);rt(y);print("Tol Barad is:",y);

Modifications
    Removing the chatbox text
    You can remove the chatbox notification by removing the print("Tol .... y); code.

Changing the Icon
    You can change the icon that the macro changes into, depending on the ownership of TB, by changing the numbers: 232 and 218 in the code above. I have compiled a list of icon numbers you can use.

This macro only works on US/EU localization (I think), but it should be easy to alter it
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2011-09-13 at 06:14 PM.

That's pretty awesome!

Dont suppose this will work in raids / dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    Dont suppose this will work in raids / dungeons?
    Nope sorry. There is no (known) way to check the owner-status of BH inside dungeons, BG's, Arenas, raids and Outland.

I hate saying that something is not possible. Because of course it is. Do you people want an addon that does this? Showing you the current holder of BH in all zones? Is it worth the download?
    If it is, I'll work on it.
    Last edited by Rebjorn; 2011-09-13 at 09:12 PM.

You can't check the status from the map while in dungeons or raids so your macro or any addon based on that would not work.
    Also it seems that unless in eastern kingdoms or kalimdor the status will not be updated if it has changed since you last were.

Unfortunatly it seems the only way to do that would be through other users of such an addon who can see the current state communicating that through an addon channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    ... so your macro or any addon based on that would not work. ...

... the only way to do that would be through other users of such an addon who can see the current state communicating that through an addon channel. ...
    That was very contradictory but that was my idea for the addon. A world-wide guildsync and whispersync (with a growing library of known users from groups/raids).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebjorn View Post
    Nope sorry. There is no (known) way to check the owner-status of BH inside dungeons, BG's, Arenas, raids and Outland.

I hate saying that something is not possible. Because of course it is. Do you people want an addon that does this? Showing you the current holder of BH in all zones? Is it worth the download?
    If it is, I'll work on it.
    Indeed it is, well at least in my opinion... I get countless people a day asking who owns it, in G chat and we all know we've seen it asked in trade allot, I for one would download it as would countless others, I'm just surprised there isn't one already (not that I've looked though)
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

i get a big fat error message when i do that

Quote Originally Posted by Rebjorn View Post
    That was very contradictory but that was my idea for the addon. A world-wide guildsync and whispersync (with a growing library of known users from groups/raids).
    ouch.. Wouldn't this be akin to the server-wide lag that was caused due to GearScore? I would rather continue to ask in trade / gchat who has TB rather than using something that is liable to slow everything down. I do think Blizz implemented some throttling to this so may not be much of an issue. Seems to me like Blizz needs to update their API to provide this information rather than having mod authors implement something that is based on interacting with others on a global scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnectar View Post
    i get a big fat error message when i do that
    What error? Do you play on a different Localization?

Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    ouch.. Wouldn't this be akin to the server-wide lag that was caused due to GearScore? I would rather continue to ask in trade / gchat who has TB rather than using something that is liable to slow everything down. I do think Blizz implemented some throttling to this so may not be much of an issue. Seems to me like Blizz needs to update their API to provide this information rather than having mod authors implement something that is based on interacting with others on a global scale.
    You forget that GearScore was made by scriptkiddies that didn't know how to optimize their scripts (no offense). I'm sitting right now working on the addon, and don't worry, it wont slow anything down.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 11:27 AM ----------

The addon is so close to done, but I'll have to pass by the uni now and wont be able to deliver a downloadable version until later today

Right now, the addon allows you to check for the TB status by writing /ctb or /checktb. If it fails, it will try to "ask" the guild if anyone else with the addon knows the status of TB and show it to you, even if you're in an instance, arena, raid or BG.

So even if you're not in a guild with tons of people (where the chances are higher that someone has the addon), it will still work while you're in Kalimdor (just like the macro).

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 05:01 PM ----------

I'll finish and release the addon if this thread gets some more attention.

At this point, I feel that the work would be wasted since no one probably cares ^^

I would give it a try and am sure many others feel the same! Do post. In addition can you also do /checkWG (WinterGrasp)? This is just for completeness sakes
    Last edited by palthis; 2011-09-14 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Forgot WSG could be interpreted as a BG