Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How old were you when you got your first computer?

First of all I searched and found no thread about it so I'm making it.

How old were you when you got your first computer?

My parents gave me my first computer when I was 1 year old (almost 2). It was a 286 and it had 6 awesome games! Pacman, Prince of Persia 1, Mario Teaches You Typing and 3 other games that I don't remember the name.

I remember that to use it I had to put the floppy disk then type C: then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to play a game. I still remember that 1 was for Pacman, 2 for Prince of Persia and 4 for Mario Teaches You Typing.

I bought my first when I was 10.. built one when I was 14 xD

Unless you count Nes/Snes/etc as "computers" lol
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I bought my first when I was 10.. built one when I was 14 xD

Unless you count Nes/Snes/etc as "computers" lol
    Well, if they have a processor (they probably do) they can be considered a computer (but in this thread I'm talking about computers like a laptop or desktop).

Deleted
    Should add a poll.

I was 6 when I got my first PC. It was a leftover Mac that my father brought home from work (when they went over to Windows). I have no clue what Mac it was, I just remember that it had a HUGO game that I played, and various paint programs. It got upgraded just a few months later to a "better" machine. I lost the HUGO game, but gained a laser printer (B&W, still awesome as hell) and a CD reader. Was amazing. Then in -97 we received our first home PC which had Windows 95.

I built my first computer when I was 12 I believe. It was a Pentium 3.0Ghz with HT. Pretty neat machine, still works.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-14 at 04:12 PM.

I was about 15 when I got one that actually belonged to me.

6 or 7, wasn't technically "mine" but I was on it 24/7 so it might as well have been.

I've been through a few desktops and a laptop since then. Convenience of the laptop is nice but I think I'll always appreciate a desktop more.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Well, I built my first computer with minimal help at 11...

I think that must be my first computer that I owned.

Before building my first, I had seen it done a few times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

15+ Year Old Account
    My "own" computer I got the summer between freshman (9th) and sophomore (10th) grade, was a reward after begging my parents and them saying I had to have all B's or better for an entire schoolyear. Computer lasted me until my junior year in college
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    My "own" computer I got the summer between freshman (9th) and sophomore (10th) grade, was a reward after begging my parents and them saying I had to have all B's or better for an entire schoolyear. Computer lasted me until my junior year in college
    Holy cow that's a long time. Must have been quite the upgrade when you got a new one xD.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I got a Commodore 64 when I was around 10 years old.
    My first x86-compatible computer was given to me by my mother when I was around 13 years old. It had a ~1,5GB HDD, so I could have either Counter Strike or Diablo II installed at a time. No internet connection though.
    Got a laptop when I was 17 with a 80GB HDD, ATI Radeon graphics and something Intel CPU, which was totally kickass compared to what I had previously used (And it was quite awesome for a laptop back then)
    Last edited by Incognito Noctix; 2011-09-14 at 04:22 PM.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

10+ Year Old Account
    Got my first PC when I was 11. Build my first one 2-3 years later!

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito Noctix View Post
    I got a Commodore 64 when I was around 10 years old.
    My first x86-compatible computer was given to me by my mother when I was around 13 years old. It had a ~1,5GB HDD, so I could have either Counter Strike or Diablo II installed at a time. No internet connection though.
    Luck! My 2nd computer (an awesome pentium 90) couldn't run Counter Strike (but it had internet!). Unless playing a game with an extremly huge lag is counted as playing (hit forward, 5 seconds later my "character" would move and I'd keep hearing the noise for like 10 seconds EVEN THO I WASNT MOVING and alone).

Taekvideo, where is "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds." from? I think I know the answer but I'm just curious lol

14, bought an Amiga 500 - fuck, the games back then had some fucking awesome gameplay!
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Sometime in middle school I think is when I got my first computer all to my self. Pentium 200! UNLEASH THE POWER

My first computer that I personally owned was when I turned 13. Horribad laptop that my granddad wanted to get rid of. Some random teenagers broke into our house and stole it a few months later, and I got a decent-ish laptop. About a year ago(the year I turned 15) I bought the PC I'm currently using(desktop,mid-end at the time I bought it).

Deleted
    1995, 5yo, 286.

Built my very own computer with 0 help at 2001, 11yo. Looking back at it I am surprised that at 11 years of age I was trusted with so expensive components.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got my first laptop at the age of 12, 3 years later I build my first computer.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Deleted
    300 mhz pentium etc when I was about.. 7 or so. I was out playing with friends and I was told to come home and that there was "surprise" there and I was like "oh yeah I bet its more homework geez" and bam they were setting up the computer. Awesome stuff is awesome.

My first game was Test Drive 4 after that monkey island (3rd) even though I didnt speak any english (pretty much luck based lol never got past the ship anyway)
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2011-09-14 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Taekvideo, where is "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds." from? I think I know the answer but I'm just curious lol
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer

Originally from:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita

I built my first when I was 14.