Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Personally I hate "exercise" just for the hell of it, I find it extremely boring running and cycling as well. If I'm not learning something while I'm doing it then I get bored very quickly and lose motivation to carry on. It sounds like you're in the same boat as I was.

Untill I started doing martial arts that is...

I'm convinced that martial arts is the way to go, best all-round exercise (most other forms of exercise only work a few muscle groups, martial arts works them all) and by far the most interesting thing you can do with it.

To put it in gaming terms most exercise like weights or push-ups or running or cycling or swimming etc is like a single player rpg, grinding stats all the time doing boring shit. Martial arts is PvP (or at least solo practicing for PvP) so it's always varied and interesting.

Example...
    you lift some weights - you pretty much know what's about to happen (80 times)
    you go running - you know what's about to happen (for the next 2 miles)
    you roll with someone doing mma - you have no idea if they're going to try to guillotine you or pass your guard, you don't know if they're going to leave their arm hanging out for you to armbar or put it on the mat for you to kimura or underhook your leg with it so you can triangle them etc etc and it all happens at high speed, you're trying to be faster and more fluid (mental fluidity as well as physical) than another person.

If you're bored of running and cycling then I'd suggest looking into BJJ (Brazilian Ju-Jitsu) or Muay Thai (ideally both) that will give you a nice foundation to start building from, then you might want to look into how wrestling, judo, jeet kune do and boxing all fit in (or you might go the non-sport route, in which case I'd suggest looking into Wing-Tsun, traditional Ju-Jitsu and any of the filipino martial arts like Kali, Escrima, Arnis and Silat).

It's not an easy path though, the chances of pain and injury are infinitely higher, if you go to martial arts classes then you WILL get injured. If you're not happy with people hitting you in the face then I'd stick to eating salads.

Quote Originally Posted by Spydie View Post
    Personally I hate "exercise" just for the hell of it, I find it extremely boring running and cycling as well. If I'm not learning something while I'm doing it then I get bored very quickly and lose motivation to carry on. It sounds like you're in the same boat as I was.

I'm convinced that martial arts is the way to go, best all-round exercise (most other forms of exercise only work a few muscle groups, martial arts works them all) and by far the most interesting thing you can do with it.

To put it in gaming terms most exercise like weights or push-ups or running or cycling or swimming etc is like a single player rpg, grinding stats all the time doing boring shit. Martial arts is PvP (or at least solo practicing for PvP) so it's always varied and interesting.

Example...
    you roll with someone doing mma - you have no idea if they're going to try to guillotine you or pass your guard, you don't know if they're going to leave their arm hanging out for you to armbar or put it on the mat for you to kimura or underhook your leg with it so you can triangle them etc etc and it all happens at high speed, you're trying to be faster and more fluid (mental fluidity as well as physical) than another person.

If you're bored of running and cycling then I'd suggest looking into BJJ (Brazilian Ju-Jitsu) or Muay Thai (ideally both) that will give you a nice foundation to start building from, then you might want to look into how wrestling, judo, jeet kune do and boxing all fit in (or you might go the non-sport route, in which case I'd suggest looking into Wing-Tsun, traditional Ju-Jitsu and any of the filipino martial arts like Kali, Escrima, Arnis and Silat).

It's not an easy path though, the chances of pain and injury are infinitely higher, if you go to martial arts classes then you WILL get injured. If you're not happy with people hitting you in the face then I'd stick to eating salads.
    What form of BJJ do you do and who is your teacher?
    Ain't no chuch when you're living in the wild

I think the challenge isn't to find a way to avoid exercise, but to find a way to incorporate it into what you'd prefer to be doing anyway.

For me, running on the treadmill is boring. Running on the treadmill while watching a baseball or football game isn't.

More and more, exercise equipment is being made to allow people to use laptops, read books and do other things at the same time.

I'm hoping some of the newer video game stuff like Kinect and the PS3/Wii versions will allow for more active games I can play with the girlfriend.

Right now I exercise for a few reasons:
    - It's part of my job as a personal trainer (definitely don't want to be a hypocrite)
    - It gives me more energy (gets those endorphins going)
    - Can be very soothing (I'm looking at you, Yoga)
    - It makes me look damn good

Now there is one more reason and I have 0 scientific backing on this. My theory is that the more time I spend exercising now, the more time I'll have a working body when I'm old and frail. Those 2 extra hours of running may yield me another day where I won't be in a wheel chair.

I've seen the progression of my father and his father, alike -- I don't like my chances. So frankly I'm gonna kick some ass while there's ass to be kicked. I'll be damned if I'm going to limit myself to cruise ships for vacation rather than going on some badass safari because I can't walk very well at age 60.

As far as changing it up, yeah the same old routine can suck. That's where one simple word can solve your problems (potentially easier said than done): PLAY!

I love when my friends come up for the weekend. Instead of going to a bar or a movie, we'll go to the park and play a game of soccer or ultimate frisbee. The smallest things that were awesome when you were little are still just as fun if you have a good group in which you can share those activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    Hey all,

I've been mulling this over for awhile, and wanted to get your input on what role (if any) exercise should play in your life.

For a bit of background, I was overweight for most of my life. Two years ago, I finally snapped out of it and decided for health and vanity purposes, I needed to drop the weight. I now weigh 70 lbs lighter and have a resting heart rate of a little less than 40 bpm (I've been cycling for about 2 hours a day and trying to push myself).

But after all of this, I have realized that exercise itself is incredibly boring, and I feel like a more boring person as a result. The time I invest in biking could be put towards social activities or hobbies or my career, and when I look back at the time I spend in the gym or running myself into the ground outside, I can't help but think there is a better way.

There are plenty of people who maintain a low weight/low body fat% by diet alone, and I'm beginning to believe this is an all-around better solution. Not only does it save time, but it saves money that would go towards extra food to keep my weight stable. I feel like there is a large portion of the population (those who aren't overweight, at least) who maintain their weight by either dropping it when they gain, or being conscious of what they eat in the first place; since I have no discipline problems with dieting anymore, I think this would be straight-forward.

So, drop exercise, do less, or keep pushing myself? What's your perspective?
    See, the thing is: people don't do it to keep a low body fat %. People do it cause they enjoy it.

For instance! I adore running, it's the activity that makes me feel free and care-less. But, if I'm out of shape (which I am lol) I can't really run that much and enjoy the freedom, can I?

Also, there are sports! Everyone likes some kind of sport. Be it mountain climbing, be it parkour, be it football or whatever. Those sports are more than enough to keep you in shape AND allow you to mantain low body fat %.

In the end, it's just what you enjoy. But I honestly don't think it's worth letting your body to rot. At least get some kind of activity.

Also! just read the "save time" part... That's complete lazyness and/or lack of will. That's sad :/
    Last edited by vep; 2011-09-20 at 08:35 PM.

If you just want to be thin/average body type diet alone is fine. Its when you want to be able to preform athletically and look 'really' good that you need to exercise to get your muscles in good shape.

Deleted
    2 hours cardio a day is excesive....
    Keep eating as clean as you can handle and do cardio every other day for about 30-40 minutes... is enough tbh to keep you in shape.
    if you can manage weight training for 30 mins 2-3 times a week all the better for ya

I can't imagine living my life without exercises. Having a sitting job, I just feel really bad without training, if I spend some time without it, my muscles would bed for a workout.

If you find training boring - maybe find something you like? For me it's weightlifting at home, maybe if you're bored training alone - start playing an active game like basketball or volleyball.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2011-09-20 at 08:40 PM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Do it all?

Too much of one thing is always bad, balance it out..
    Stay in shape, go out with friends, and work on your carrier.. (Choose priority)

10+ Year Old Account
    Snip'd.
    If you like martial arts, you should be doing Shaolin kung-fu... That, in my oppinion, is teh ultimate test of strenght and will.

Deleted
    I wouldn't want to live without doing sports. Cycling for two hours each day sounds boring as hell though. Just find something else. Or don't and just eat less, it's your life.

Deleted

Example...

one is working out at your own pace achieving golas you set yourself - the other is rolling around with a sweaty dude that is trying to hurt you ... ill take option A thanks

There have been countless studies on people losing a significant amount of weight, and then gaining it all back again soon after (just look at some of the "Biggest Loser" contestants). There are a variety of reasons for this, but the bottom line is that people become complacent after they've reached their weight loss goal, and this often ends badly (the studies showed that the people who managed to keep the weight off over a period of 5 years burned at least 5k calories throughout the week via exercise). You need to keep up your combination of healthy eating/exercise to make sure you don't fall back into your old routines. Eating your veggies and whole grains isn't going to strengthen your muscles, give you more endurance, work your heart and lungs, and promote better blood circulation. Not to mention you miss out on the awesome endorphin rush.

If you don't enjoy biking, find something else you do like, there are tons of options out there. Sports, lifting weights, martial arts, running, etc. I got bored with my exercise routine earlier this year and picked up P90x, which I've very much been enjoying. Getting more muscle definition has always been a great motivator, not to mention the self esteem/psychological boost you get knowing you're doing right by your body.

So yeah, keep reminding yourself of the benefits you get. It's true, some days you just don't feel like working out. Personally when this happens I tell myself I'll start for 20 minutes or so, and if I don't feel like continuing, I stop. That way I at least got some exercise in, but don't risk burning myself out.

Good luck to you, and congrats on the weight loss

10+ Year Old Account
    I lost 40 lbs eating clean. I ran about once a week in the morning, but counteracted that by going to the bakery and ordering all sorts of goodies (usually a doughnut or two or similar breakfast pastries and some cookies or a slice of cake for later in the day) on mornings that I worked out.

Just google: clean eating

I think, if you don't like working out and there's not many opportunities for fun outdoor stuff with friends, just the little things will help keep you in relatively good shape. Like:
    skipping up the stairs instead of plodding
    Jogging to the neighbor's house instead of walking
    Do a little dance when you're idling about
    Pick up the drums and then tap on everything and tap your feet. Like some sort of DEMENTED ADD CHILD

...and that's all there is to it.

Oh wait also: walk around like a raptor on your tiptoes indoors. I hear it's terrible for your arches but screw arches, who needs 'em when you're a raptor?
    Arguing on the internet is like...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    Hey all,

I've been mulling this over for awhile, and wanted to get your input on what role (if any) exercise should play in your life.

For a bit of background, I was overweight for most of my life. Two years ago, I finally snapped out of it and decided for health and vanity purposes, I needed to drop the weight. I now weigh 70 lbs lighter and have a resting heart rate of a little less than 40 bpm (I've been cycling for about 2 hours a day and trying to push myself).

But after all of this, I have realized that exercise itself is incredibly boring, and I feel like a more boring person as a result. The time I invest in biking could be put towards social activities or hobbies or my career, and when I look back at the time I spend in the gym or running myself into the ground outside, I can't help but think there is a better way.

There are plenty of people who maintain a low weight/low body fat% by diet alone, and I'm beginning to believe this is an all-around better solution. Not only does it save time, but it saves money that would go towards extra food to keep my weight stable. I feel like there is a large portion of the population (those who aren't overweight, at least) who maintain their weight by either dropping it when they gain, or being conscious of what they eat in the first place; since I have no discipline problems with dieting anymore, I think this would be straight-forward.

So, drop exercise, do less, or keep pushing myself? What's your perspective?
    Well, I am not them most active person myself. But just by eating better and changing very SMALL things in my lifestyle I have lost about 13 pounds and feel great! I do not make a point to get out and be active as much as I should. But not eating garbage and living a somewhat stress free life has made all the difference.

weightlifting with friends and getting huge improvements is awesome.

You said you find exercise is boring, and I agree with cycling and jogging being boring. I use my bike to get to places, and thats fine, but cycling and jogging bore the crap out of me. But thats not all sport is.

I mean, you could try a team sport, like football, that might be your thing. Or get into a solo activity; a martial art or something like fencing. There are a lot of options. Just cus certain exercises bore you, doesnt mean you might not find others to be great! I know I do.

Generally, I wouldnt cut sport out of your life altogether or at least not before you've given sports other than running/lifting/cycling a try. There's a lot out there, and while running and stuff might be a large bit of it, thats not all of it.

---------- Post added 2011-09-21 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I love when my friends come up for the weekend. Instead of going to a bar or a movie, we'll go to the park and play a game of soccer or ultimate frisbee. The smallest things that were awesome when you were little are still just as fun if you have a good group in which you can share those activities.
    Oh my fucking god! Ultimate frisbee is the most amazing thing ever!

Plus, if you get bored of it, you just start rugby tackling the guy with the frisbee!
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    I go to they gym for either 1hour or 1h30 everyday. It's just engrained into my routine now. I personally love it. You just have to have clear goals and stay motivated. I play rugby and box. If I'm doing any weights I always want to try and lift more. If i'm running 5k on a treadmill I want to be faster. I write down my times/weights and try and beat them. Exercise is fucking awesome.

My belief is that the sensing, thinking, moving body is the basis of our experience in the world. I want it to be the best best that it can be. (this doesn't mean I don't rock out drinking beer and enjoying all of lifes great food and junk or skip a gym day here and there because I'm off about the world doing something else with my time) But I think maintaining a high level of fitness is what people should strive for. Body and Mind yo!

I read a quote like 'Nature has no accidents, she wastes no material and everything has a purpose. If you put up a good fight to live she will usually come to your rescue
    and give you enough of whatever is needed to tide you over. If you don't, she says you are not fit to people the earth and lets you go without a pang. Thus she weeds out all but the strong--and evolution marches on.' and watch a video like http://www.wimp.com/motivationalvideo/ and just want to go fucking nuts in the gym.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you should drop weight until you are comfortable with your body and are back in the "healthy" range. After that, you can usually cut back exercise and just maintain. You don't want to cut it completely out because the body really does operate optimally with exercise in your life.