Thread: Parry and Dodge

Parry and Dodge

I've been giving this a little thought recently, and I think that it would be a good move on Blizzard's part to combine parry and dodge into a single avoidance stat. Currently, tanks in particular have to balance their parry and dodge ratings to get the most out of both stats before diminishing returns. While I admit that it encourages tanks to gear, gem, and reforge intelligently, I feel that since the two stats are literally identical in functionality it would really help to streamline tank stats.

What do you think? Good idea or np?

"Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!"

Sorry, that's what popped into my head when I read the subject line.

No worries, Daffy is always relevant.

Or change one of them to not do exactly the same thing as the other? There got to be a better way to handle it than removing even more ratings

IIRC, back before Cataclysm dropped Blizzard mentioned something about differentiating between parry and dodge. I think parrying an attack reduced the damage dealt by your target's next attack by half. Evidently that was dropped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funak View Post
    Or change one of them to not do exactly the same thing as the other? There got to be a better way to handle it than removing even more ratings
    The question then would be, what would it be changed into? They tried giving parry a different model in the Cataclysm beta but it didn't work well.

10+ Year Old Account
    anything which simplifies the game, gearing, and understanding of your class/stats required is certainly a possibility, regardless of whether it is a good idea.

Parry was supposed to reduce this and the next attack by 50% instead of just reducing this attack by 100% like dodge does. But some people complained about how it totally sucked and how it didn't actually make any sense at all (totally agree with that but something could have been done really)

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, I like the stat balancing. At least you know who does their homework with a quick armory check. "Oh wow, this tank has 17% dodge and 9% parry... let's find another tank..."
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

From a game design standpoint, Blizzard has already minimized the decisions that a player needs to make when it comes to choosing their stats, and this probably won't happen because they want there to still be some thought put into gear choices. If this were to happen, all tank gear would be virtually the same.

From a technical standpoint, feral druids say hi.