Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If I wasn't alrdy a fan I would b now, logoz
    Have u posted ur alys flying guide here btw? Amazing stuff; n a great example of contributing to the community
    Since i cant post links, Google Alysrazor Guide on 350k+ Ignite/Comb by Logoz for a howto blow the crap outta alys guide

Kind of rude to post that there are no other mages on Illidan you can talk to! My guild has 3 great ones!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakthir View Post
    Kind of rude to post that there are no other mages on Illidan you can talk to! My guild has 3 great ones!
    It was a joke between mods, brother.

Any posts past the below line not regarding Arcane will be given either a warning for light posts and an infraction for heavier posts.

_________________________________________DON'T CROSS__________________________________________________

Deleted
    Hey mage guys :P

I am leveling up my mage as Arcane in dungeons so I am using this guide to do better than before. ANYWAY!
    It doesn't mention anything about armours, and I am sure thats because its a no-brainer but I just wanted to check....

You say that crit isn't that great (in lower gear at least) so am I sitting in mage armour 100% of the time? 2% crit is nothing special and I will gain a lot more Arcane Blasts throughout the burn phase and won't lose a GCD switching between burn/conserve phases.

The main post is good, not amazing. I feel it was written with the premise that most people know most things already, and sometimes (like me) this isn't the case.
    Anyway, it still helped me - so thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Hey mage guys :P

I am leveling up my mage as Arcane in dungeons so I am using this guide to do better than before. ANYWAY!
    It doesn't mention anything about armours, and I am sure thats because its a no-brainer but I just wanted to check....

You say that crit isn't that great (in lower gear at least) so am I sitting in mage armour 100% of the time? 2% crit is nothing special and I will gain a lot more Arcane Blasts throughout the burn phase and won't lose a GCD switching between burn/conserve phases.

The main post is good, not amazing. I feel it was written with the premise that most people know most things already, and sometimes (like me) this isn't the case.
    Anyway, it still helped me - so thanks.
    Yea the op misses a couple of fairly obvious tips to aspiring mages. You should be in Mage Armour at all times playing as Arcane. Molten Armour for Fire and Frost

so am I sitting in mage armour 100% of the time?
    yes. 100% of the time. There are no exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicc View Post
    Yea the op misses a couple of fairly obvious tips to aspiring mages. You should be in Mage Armour at all times playing as Arcane. Molten Armour for Fire and Frost
    Heh, didn't think I had to go THAT far into it. Although the recommended spec has Glyph of Mage Armor in it.

The only time you can run Molten Armor as Arcane is Sinestra or Halazzi in ZA.

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trilic View Post
    There are two: SInestra and Halazzi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilic View Post
    well there kinda is one or two exceptions but for the purpose of this guide i suppose you can leave it at always use mage armor
    The exceptions i'm talking about are boss specific, if one of the boss machanics give you mana back i.e. Alysrazor P3 it can be worth it
    to change to molten armor since mage armor is doing nothing for you (mana overflow) as long as you dont want it for it's resistance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Heh, didn't think I had to go THAT far into it. Although the recommended spec has Glyph of Mage Armor in it.
    A bit of pointless condescension there to be honest. I and 100% grateful for the post you did but for me, what armour you are meant to be in is a pretty key point to make, especially so as the other 2 specs use the other armour.

I only asked because the burn phase is where you want as much damage as possible, so my head worked out that 2% crit during a burn phase might be good.

Thank you for the help guys.

15+ Year Old Account
    A bit of pointless condescension there to be honest. I and 100% grateful for the post you did but for me, what armour you are meant to be in is a pretty key point to make, especially so as the other 2 specs use the other armour.

I only asked because the burn phase is where you want as much damage as possible, so my head worked out that 2% crit during a burn phase might be good.

Thank you for the help guys.
    Thus the second sentence in the post, saying I noted the Glyph of Mage Armor over the other two Armor Glyphs.

Just started playing arcane on my mage alt and I was wondering if the 3 points in prismatic cloak are really necessary?

would shifting 2 points to Improved arcane explosion be acceptable for an all-round spec that still gives max dps?

3/3 prismatic cloak gives a full threat drop, without having to wait 2 secs, but I imagine this is more situational i.e. if the tanks are bad/don't get enough time, in which case waiting 1-2 secs wouldn't be an issue.

There's probably something I missed -_-

you can use that instant invis to survive damaging attacks, on domo not get seeds, and probably allot more.
    not to mention the passive dmg reduction

you can always put points from neither vortex and put it in improved arcane explosion, the slow effect usually gets applied by tanks and even dk diseases, and probably other classes to.
    Last edited by Lucky1987; 2011-10-08 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezv View Post
    Just started playing arcane on my mage alt and I was wondering if the 3 points in prismatic cloak are really necessary?

would shifting 2 points to Improved arcane explosion be acceptable for an all-round spec that still gives max dps?

3/3 prismatic cloak gives a full threat drop, without having to wait 2 secs, but I imagine this is more situational i.e. if the tanks are bad/don't get enough time, in which case waiting 1-2 secs wouldn't be an issue.

There's probably something I missed -_-
    As mentioned above it has situational uses but just the sheer 6% flat mitigation aswell is more than enough as Arcane doesn't have any other survivability talents/abilities.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

So I have come to realize that I have not downed heroic V&T nor Sinestra.
    Those two bosses have the best trinkets for arcane mage.
    I am currently using Variable Lightning Capacitor and Moonwell Chalice.
    Does this mean I won't be replacing MWC anytime soon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbites View Post
    So I have come to realize that I have not downed heroic V&T nor Sinestra.
    Those two bosses have the best trinkets for arcane mage.
    I am currently using Variable Lightning Capacitor and Moonwell Chalice.
    Does this mean I won't be replacing MWC anytime soon?
    Yes it does ! Both are very good trinkets mind

Haha, looks like swizzle is promoting the Fire Power here as well, I remember you giving me a hard time when i applied to Encore on illidan about that. Improved Arcane Explosion works well in those AOE fights you mentioned, and as such already warrants it being better than Fire Power, which grants an extremely minimal DPS gain when in comparison to the extra 100k+ damage that can be gained in fights like beth, rhyo, and rag.

15+ Year Old Account
    It seems someone didn't fully read the OP.

Deleted
    I have to agree with Redith on this on swizzle you do seem to be promoting firepower over the other filler points

Improved Arcane Explosion (1/2 or 2/2):
    Pick it up for the gimmicks listed. This talent falls above Improved Blink in the priority
    Fire Power (1/2 or 2/2):
    I'd recommend this one the most out of the four listed.
    Although im not disagreeing with your reasonings for a new mage (the people reading your guide) reading this is going to pick up firepower
    with FL raids haveing alot of small adds with the boss fights IAE (IMO) will give a better dps increase if your raid compasiton requires you to
    AoE down the mobs, if your raid compasition is such that you can ignore adds and just dps the boss firepower will then be the filler to pick

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macamus View Post
    I have to agree with Redith on this on swizzle you do seem to be promoting firepower over the other filler points

Although im not disagreeing with your reasonings for a new mage (the people reading your guide) reading this is going to pick up firepower
    with FL raids haveing alot of small adds with the boss fights IAE (IMO) will give a better dps increase if your raid compasiton requires you to
    AoE down the mobs, if your raid compasition is such that you can ignore adds and just dps the boss firepower will then be the filler to pick
    But...but...I specifically state when to get both talents, while simply putting my support behind one. If it has short AoE phases, pick up Imp. AE. Otherwise, pick up FP.

Deleted
    But...but...you do put your support behind one and crucify the other, stating that IAE can be used to "pad the meters" and should be "Pick it up for the gimmicks listed" (one boss mentioned) will lead a new mage to think this talent is useless compared to the talent you say is "the only talent in the buch that gives a DPS increase" and "I'd recommend this one the most out of the four listed."

as i said earlier i do agree with your reasonings but alot of the people who read this are going to be new to the class and may not have had any experiance in FL to know that IAE is the go to talent if your raid requires you to do any AoE

maybe just a little rewording will clear this up for others reading it ?