Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    well he's got a i5 2500k which is overclocked with a 6950 that's overkill for wow even so he's got the best CPU for wow which is overclocked to 4.6 which is pretty good so he could play that with full ultra even with shadows and still be fine.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheeya View Post
    so he could play that with full ultra even with shadows and still be fine.
    Incorrect. World of Warcraft is poorly optimized. Even a computer with an i7 2600K and twin GTX580's will have issues with shadows on ultra because of how poorly optimized WoW is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Even a computer with an i7 2600K.
    actually an i5 2500k is better for gaming, however maybe you're right but since they weren't on ultra he shouldn't have a problem and a GTX580 wouldn't change anything as it's overkill for wow, and i'm not sure but shouldn't it have no problem with ultra on shadows if it's overclocked to 4,6GHz? on the "sweet spot build" a computer with a decent gfx card which 6950 is and with a i5 2500k they can play with everything maxed out on ultra so a overclocked 4.6GHz i5 2500k shouldn't have any prob with full ultra even during aoe phases.

actually an i5 2500k is better for gaming, however maybe you're right but since they weren't on ultra he shouldn't have a problem and a GTX580 wouldn't change anything as it's overkill for wow, and i'm not sure but shouldn't it have no problem with ultra on shadows if it's overclocked to 4,6GHz? on the "sweet spot build" a computer with a decent gfx card which 6950 is and with a i5 2500k they can play with everything maxed out on ultra so a overclocked 4.6GHz i5 2500k shouldn't have any prob with full ultra even during aoe phases.
    Going to ultra shadows nets me a 0-20 fps loss depending on how big the area is.

Maybe a lot of info is going on hm

Deleted
    well the baradin hold room is quite small

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Shadows on ultra, definitly.
    Strange. If you had such a good and recent setup, I'd think you'd remember it.
    Actually if he had the same fps at poor as on ultra, it'd scream CPU. Though in this case, poor optimization for AOE fights on blizzard's part. His CPU and GPU are way more than fine.
    <snip>

A) I am on my laptop and don't know what the exact specs of my machine were, but with a simple phone call I got them.
    - i5 750 @ 2.67 // 8G Ram, Nvidia 9800GT

B) I run on Ultra 24/7 and get 50-60 FPS. With Shadow and Sun shafts off.

C) When I do BH i bring my setting down to GOOD and I don't have a SINGLE problem. Literally my FPS doesnt drop below 45..

So Mr. Wries... What else could it be?

[mod Edit: Play nice, children]
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-09-24 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeleNC View Post
    Wow... you just SCREAM douchebag don't you?
    Nope. Everybody likes me. And I had some points to make about your post. You can take it however you want.
    A) I am on my laptop and don't know what the exact specs of my machine were, but with a simple phone call I got them.
    - i5 750 @ 2.67 // 8G Ram, Nvidia 9800GT
    OP is on a desktop that is by far better than that.
    B) I run on Ultra 24/7 and get 50-60 FPS. With Shadow and Sun shafts off.
    hence not ultra nor do we know your screen resolution.
    C) When I do BH i bring my setting down to GOOD and I don't have a SINGLE problem. Literally my FPS doesnt drop below 45..
    Words against words. But on "good", sure 45 fps sounds reasonable with a laptop resolution. OP doesn't seem interested in dropping graphics that far, though (havinghardware among the best you can buy within a reasonable budget, why would you?)
    So Mr. Wries... What else could it be?
    After breaking down a second one of your post into tiny microquotes: Nothing. Run along.

10+ Year Old Account
    " I am on my laptop and don't know what the exact specs of my machine were, but with a simple phone call I got them."

I don't think you understood what I meant, I am NOT home, my Desktop which has those specs is at HOME. I am on my Laptop, which is as useful as a paperweight.

And Screen Resolution doesn't cause a HUGE issue like that, other things need to be counted for, Fullscreen or Windowed, single or dual monitor, addons...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeleNC View Post
    " I am on my laptop and don't know what the exact specs of my machine were, but with a simple phone call I got them."

I don't think you understood what I meant, I am NOT home, my Desktop which has those specs is at HOME. I am on my Laptop, which is as useful as a paperweight.

And Screen Resolution doesn't cause a HUGE issue like that, other things need to be counted for, Fullscreen or Windowed, single or dual monitor, addons...
    Different level of computer savy here. You have no idea about how different in performance laptop hardware is from a desktop. And I have no energy in educating you in this, because we would de-rail this thread by a lot.

And screen resolution is a lot. Blizzard's gutted WoW-engine included. Not saying OP couldn't do this and that and dodilo to improve framerate. I'm saying the first post I quoted you from has some weird reasoning.

Deleted
    even if you have a desktop your specs are different from OP, he has the best CPU for gaming which is also overclocked with a far better graphics card than you so you can't really compare yours to his and say you just have to turn graphics down.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was making a theoretical opinion based post. In actual testing the i5 2500K and the i7 2600K will run very close with a difference of 1 to 5FPS on average in WoW. The sole reason people will suggest the i5 over the i7 is due to the price to performance ratio. Why spend more on the i7 when the i5 performs the same task at the same speed for less money.

I guess my post went over your head in that regard or the context wasn't clear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please, everyone get back on topic. No more comparing systems back and forth, insulting someone's computer knowledge, or anything of the sort. Focus on the OP here, please.

@ OP - can you SS your settings in game? Could be something simple that could use a quick change.

Sure

Please make sure you post thumbnail versions of images ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-09-25 at 03:21 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can turn Shadow Quality off or low. You can also lower texture filtering and multisampling. I would also suggest enabling Vsync.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Culadin -

Do the following -

Turn multisampling down a touch (maybe 4x)
    Take texture filtering down (8X)
    Take shadows down to fair or good (they don't do much)
    Enable V-Sync

You won't notice a huge visual difference, but will notice a massive performance boost.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    I agree with Culadin -

Do the following -

Turn multisampling down a touch (maybe 4x)
    Take texture filtering down (8X)
    Take shadows down to fair or good (
    they don't do much)
    Enable V-Sync

You won't notice a huge visual difference, but will notice a massive performance boost.
    Maybe you don't notice the difference, but others do. I started playing WoW again last week out of boredom, QQ, but playing with anything less than full ultra is a big no-no. Especially turning down shadows and MSAA made the game look bad.
    Visual quality of a game is almost as important as gameplay to me and there are others out there who feel the same.
    I do agree on the Vsync part though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Maybe you don't notice the difference, but others do. I started playing WoW again last week out of boredom, QQ, but playing with anything less than full ultra is a big no-no. Especially turning down shadows and MSAA made the game look bad.
    Visual quality of a game is almost as important as gameplay to me and there are others out there who feel the same.
    I do agree on the Vsync part though.
    what's worse? 20 FPS or lowering settings a touch?

Deleted
    lowering the settings ofc but as told before, with his specs he shouldn't have 20fps ;D