Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5v5 is just way too many for a slaughter fest it'll just be tunnel 1 guy herp derp win the game. Way too many variables to be balanced.
    The original Guild Wars had as big as 12v12 and it was nothing like that. You really have to drop all past experiences from WoW when coming at this game because it's radically different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Honestly, the thing that bothers me most is there's no faction vs faction war. (wow, swtor) and that is a huge deal to me. I've only just started following the game a few weeks ago, as I did not play Gw1. if I'm wrong about this please tell me, but as far as I'm aware there is no faction vs faction story or PvP.
    I never really understood why having two factions was ever a good idea? Honestly what good ever comes from splitting your entire community in half? At the end of the day the only thing that comes from having a Horde and Alliance is whining, having to make double the content, and balancing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Guild Wars was and is way more balanced that WoW and it's only competitive forms of PvP are 4v4 and 8v8.
    Because a balanced game requires that you play with a monk or auto-lose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    4 IWAY Warriors wrecked for a long time there.

2 spike rangers and two interrupt rangers/ mesmers were also good.

4 Illusionary Weapon mesmers also wrecked for a time.

There are countless builds that didn't require a dedicated healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    I don't like the fact you can't kill retards from your own server in World PvP
    For this reason alone, is why PvP servers on MMO's are actually pointless. PvP is apperantly killing someone of no challenege to you, either lower level, lower geared.

and I don't like the fact that the only arena competitive bracket is 5v5, I'd rather have just 3v3 and that's it.
    This isn't WoW. WoW is balanced around 3v3 hence why it's the most balanced. GW2 is balanced around 5v5, hence why it will be balanced to suit 5v5. Ironic that you call people retards yet make stupid statements.

5v5 is just way too many for a slaughter fest it'll just be tunnel 1 guy herp derp win the game. Way too many variables to be balanced.
    Again this isn't WoW, maybe you should stick to WoW instead of GW2, since you're obviously incapable of getting out of that mindset.
    Replys in bold.

It's called learning to make a build that counters it. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Ruak View Post
    As for what I do NOT like - well, I still don't like the lack of instanced organized raiding, BUT also I am worried about the global interraction with many other uknown people out there. Sadly, the bigger part of the population of any online game consists of... not too great personalities/players, so to say. Look what the WoW LFD tool has done - you spend half the time cursing and swearing at the idiotism of some people. Multiply that by 5 and you get my concerns for the upcoming LFRaid tool. Multiply that by 5 again and you get my concerns for GW2's dynamic event system.

Agree. People say mounts kill exploration, waypoints support it. How exactly? First, I love mounts for the aestiethics, not only because of the speed. If they introduced mounts that give no speed bonus in GW2, I will be fine with it. If I had to pick between a 50% sprint ability boost (lasts until deactivated) and a 40% mount speed, I will prefer the slower, but mounted, version. Second - by riding, you travel. You explore and go through a place, just in a faster pace. With a waypoint you teleport. You miss whole parts of the landscape. How is that "big support of exploring and seeing the world"?

Then try to die less, simple as that. I know nobody likes to run for ages, but one thing death penalty does, is to encourage you to avoid it. If I know I will be insta-ressed during a fight, unlimited number of resses, I won't care much. If I know I have to wait 15 min after dying, I will be super duper careful and will play the best way I can. And if everyone tries to play the best way they can, boss will die faster. You lose time from corpse running, you gain time from killing the boss faster. You just can't disregard the effect death penalty has, no matter how hard you try.

edit: Oh, 1 more thing that I don't like - I second the opinion about races and lack of factions in terms of world PvP. Gief world PvP And races are just bland to me Only 5, Asuras are ridiculous (seriously, same idiots as Gnomes with WoW and everyone hated Gnomes ), Charrs are too trivial (remiding me of Taurens also), Sylvari's are so homo. Only Norns and to a certain extent humans, but I will have hard time fitting my RP criteries, as I wanna play Thief. And Norn Thieves just sounds meh from a RP perspective ^^
    responding to whats quoted...

Global interaction... you shouldn't dislike this or be worried about it. For the sole reason of the open world being dynamic. Other people have less effect on you out there. They can't steal kills or tag mobs, they can't tag a mob and then sit there and do nothing, max lvls can't come to a low lvl area and just 1-shot everything in sight. Bad players won't be able to directly effect your gameplay, as they can't let you die via lack of healing or let lack of tanking knowledge turn you into boss fodder. And it's not like there will be one build that is SUPREME ABOVE ALL; I believe one of the dev's said in a panel at PAX East or one of the other shows, that there's something like 80,000 different skill combinations, and that just for one class (PAX East link below, @ 16.30 minute mark). And then to add in that they are really looking to make servers feel like large communities, well, there's some good positives that can go with that, yes there are negatives that could arise as well, for that we'll have to wait and see.

As for travelling/mounts... I can go kinda with either side on this one. Waypoints are no different than flightpaths or portals or anything like that. And as it is, you'll have to visit most waypoints before you can use them. This doesn't seem any different to me than any other MMO. Now, I would say waypoints support exploration in so far as they require you to explore to find said waypoint, and you'll be coming across dynamic quest events that branch off on your way to them (remember that quests are dynamic and you don't really go to NPC's for pick up and turn-in's. You only go to scout NPC's as breadcrumbs to lead you to new areas). But after you've completed them, it's true they wont aid in the desire to explore. Of course, I think GW2's dynamic events will do that better than anything else. As for mounts, they dont really encourage exploration either. They may help or increase the awesomeness feeling of discovering waypoints, but after you've discovered waypoint/flightpath/portal, you wont ride from place to place if you can take the quicker route anyways. And the big difference here is that you'll be able to go to a waypoint from anywhere in the world, but all this really does is cut down time used. Ok so if you couldn't do such, you'd have to do the mob dodge run back to the closest waypoint, this isn't encouraging exploration, only forcing you to backtrack through what you've already explored.

As for death penalties... This keeps coming up and I see it as a personal thing. Some of you take the "I need to be severely punished for failure" route. Others take the "any punishment reinforces my desire to not die" route. And still others, like myself, take the "I don't want to die, because I hate to die no matter the punishment" route. And I'm sure there are still others with other reasons. GW2 seems to kind of go a middle ground in regards to all of it. You have the fight for your life; ok, if you kill something/someone you come up again, not always the easiest thing to do, especially if you're surrounded by mobs/people. Or someone can res you during this time, and anyone of any profession can do so. But you can't be res'd after you've officially died. So now your choices are to use one of the way points, you are punished for this in ways of a small cash donation and running time back to the fight if you wish to go back to the fight. Or you can go another way, it's your choice.

And lastly the faction stuff... This one to me is such a meh argument. Since their will be WvWvW PvP, on epic scales (100's+) I find this to be more than enough really. While yes it can be fun to be on a PvP server that gives you the anxiousness of keeping your eye's open for the other faction for that spur of the moment fight; what I found less fun was the low lvl ganking that always seemed to go hand in hand with that as well. It was never fun for me to go around at 80 or 85 and gank lvl 30 or 40's in one shot. Fun for me was not ruining someone else's fun. All I can say is that I'm hoping the WvWvW (which is the closest you're going to get for world pvp; and of which from what I've heard the dev's say, lasts for quite some time [days to weeks] and you can lvl from lvl1 to max through) feels epic enough to feel like those old school AV matches and SS/TM days; but that's just my hope there.

Races, I actually like the races. They each have extensive lore behind them and each seem to attract certain kinds of players for differing reasons. Personally I love the Norn Stuff. And it seems just from the few people who are looking forward to GW2 on this forum via this Poll, there seems to be a very equal distribution between the races. But this is very much a personal choice on this matter.

Edited for spelling. And adding link PAX East panel 2011
    Last edited by Bluedragonwolf; 2011-09-30 at 09:18 AM.

Deleted
    I don't get why people here get all defensive about GW2 in a thread that is explicitly about stuff

WE DON'T LIKE ABOUT THE GAME!

It's fine to correct misunderstanding or errors but please don't attack other people or disregard their opinion as stupid just because you don't agree.

Everyone here on these forums cares about the game to some extent and being all defensive about it isn't very constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I don't get why people here get all defensive about GW2 in a thread that is explicitly about stuff

It's fine to correct misunderstanding or errors but please don't attack other people or disregard their opinion as stupid just because you don't agree.

Everyone here on these forums cares about the game to some extent and being all defensive about it isn't very constructive.
    THIS
    Everyone that posts in these forums (appart from trolls) either have an interest or like the game. People have different opinions I hate tomatoes for one. You don't? Well that's fine with me cause I can still choose to NOT eat tomatoes.

Same thing applies to the game, you feel like the lack of raiding content (I mean groups bigger than 5) is a bad thing, good for you. I can live with that, why? Cause it's YOUR opinion.
    I can understand if you correct someone if they got the wrong info and you wanna explain that. Crowe for one have gotten the correct info and he dislikes the death penelty that's fine with me. Why shouldn't it be for the rest?

I didn't create this thread so it could become a "Change a persons opinion thread". I don't want it locked either just because people get all defensive over OTHER peoples opinions.

Deleted

People only get defensive when others come in with an attitude against something in GW2, then won't for the life of them, listen to what others say, nor will they even take someone elses opinion, or listen to someone who has actually played.

Look at Brolf posts, he says X won't work because it's crap. No real reason given other than some profession have AoE to stop people capping in PvP. Never thinking, there's ways to counter it, or ways to kill people.

As for the death match bit, they've revealed barely any PvP info, there's going to be more types of PvP than conquest.
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2011-09-30 at 09:36 AM.

Well it's rather a discussion about what people don't like about the game. Obviously.

However if you see someone saying stuff that you disagree about, I can't hesitate to explain how I feel differently. And that's how you discuss this matter. Both defend the game in their way because else they wouldn't be here. (Trolls are easy to find).

I'll defend the game in my standards and I'll correct people of who I disagree, and there might be a discussion about it, and perhaps I might agree with that person after it. The most important thing is to understand how and why someone says a comment, and how and why you don't agree. Just saying someone's comment is stupid doesn't help anything. If you feel like someone is on the wrong foot. Care to explain how and why you see like that's the problem and be open for any feedback, because you might be the person who misunderstood things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I'll defend the game in my standards and I'll correct people of who I disagree, and there might be a discussion about it, and perhaps I might agree with that person after it. The most important thing is to understand how and why someone says a comment, and how and why you don't agree. Just saying someone's comment is stupid doesn't help anything. If you feel like someone is on the wrong foot. Care to explain how and why you see like that's the problem and be open for any feedback, because you might be the person who misunderstood things.
    Don't bring logic to the internet, it never ends well ::takes off sarcasm hat:: (edit: though i do agree with you completely)

Honestly, when you make a thread like "what do you NOT like about guild wars 2" you should expect flames/responses, since people will like and dislike different things/aspects of a game that has not even been released yet. Please note that aspect.

Any and all complaints might change when game comes out, which we still don't have a release date for, or even know when beta is.

So relax, and enjoy the conversation of speculation and stop getting your panties in a bunch when someone disagrees with you.

Deleted
    No open PvP. But that's not really a problem, because we have that covered in WvWvW.

10+ Year Old Account

I think it all depends on your definition of "WE".
    I see this thread as a place for people who post in this subforum to communicate on things in the game they're not fans of.

But when you have people that don't post in this subforum, and happen to come across this thread and post things like "I don't like the fact you can't kill retards", then I fail to see why we should be civil in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Replys in bold.
    It's called learning to make a build that counters it. :3
    1. It's called fun. If you're bad you were ganked and had a horrible experience. TERA, despite having no factions, has no problems with this.

2. Kid. 5v5 won't be balanced, just letting you know. No fucking way in hell will a deathmatch styled arena for an MMORPG EVEN with no stat discrepancy will always have retarded hard counters and FotMs. And with 5 people it's not hard to zerg people. In GW2 BGs I've seen people go down in like 3 seconds between stuns and knockbacks when 5 people get on them. "Oh, you have 4 other team mates" yeah, it's going to be a zerg who can down who in 5 seconds. The fact there's no dedicated healer, yeah, not going to happen. However in a 3v3 style where there's far less dmg being thrown around it will be closer to being competitive and balanced rather than a big joke.

Also you don't know anything about WoW PvP if you honestly believe they balance around 3v3 now. WoW is balanced(LOL) around RBGs, I thought that was apparent when abilities like Smoke Bomb and RoF were added to the game.

3. WoW PvP is shit and has been since Cata, why would I play a joke of a game when I can foresee a somewhat decent PvP game on the horizon.

I don't know what it is with your personal attacks when this is a "DO NOT LIKE THREAD" it probably stems from your overzealous fanboy-ism you should probably go outside.

User was infracted for this post
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-09-30 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    1. It's called fun. If you're bad you were ganked and had a horrible experience. TERA, despite having no factions, has no problems with this.
    Well, it's only actually fun for the player doing this, why when you're out PvEing should some child who thinks it's cool to gank someone who has no chance fun? Seriously ganking doesn't happen anymore, I only ever got ganked on WoW, when I either low health, already had 4+mobs attacking me or by someone who out geared me massively or was much higher level, never once in WoW was I ganked and I felt it was fun.

2. Kid. 5v5 won't be balanced, just letting you know. No fucking way in hell will a deathmatch styled arena for an MMORPG EVEN with no stat discrepancy will always have retarded hard counters and FotMs. And with 5 people it's not hard to zerg people. In GW2 BGs I've seen people go down in like 3 seconds between stuns and knockbacks when 5 people get on them. "Oh, you have 4 other team mates" yeah, it's going to be a zerg who can down who in 5 seconds. The fact there's no dedicated healer, yeah, not going to happen. However in a 3v3 style where there's far less dmg being thrown around it will be closer to being competitive and balanced rather than a big joke.

Also you don't know anything about WoW PvP if you honestly believe they balance around 3v3 now. WoW is balanced(LOL) around RBGs, I thought that was apparent when abilities like Smoke Bomb and RoF were added to the game.

Please do not refer to me as "kid", as I am far from a chlid. Have you really watched some of their PvP games from conventions? Nobody gets rushed and killed in a matter of seconds like WoW, even the terrible player who were first time playing against the actual Anet staff lasted longer than any WoW fights. The maps are bigger than WoWs, so you can't just zerg in and kill people, if you all go one way, you're doing it wrong, and will lose. Theres load of different terrain and heights within the GW2 maps, unlike WoW's completely flat arenas. You don't need a dedicated healer, since everyone has enough escape mechanics to get away and heal themselves.

I haven't played WoW in a very long time, since like you said it is a joke of a game, when I played it was balanced around 3v3.

3. WoW PvP is shit and has been since Cata, why would I play a joke of a game when I can foresee a somewhat decent PvP game on the horizon.

I don't know what it is with your personal attacks when this is a "DO NOT LIKE THREAD" it probably stems from your overzealous fanboy-ism you should probably go outside.
    Again my replys are in bold, they are not personal attacks, I'm just showing you were you're wrong, and haven't read up/looked into, you're just presumming.

I have played GW2, and I can tell you now, you're are far far far from been right. PvP is nothing like WoWs just because one game has shit PvP doesn't mean another will. Gw2 PvP is seperate from PvE unlike WoW, so it can actually be balanced.

I didn't know me actual having played the game, and knowing something about it, made me a overzealous fanboy. Ironic that you called me a kid.

Clearly people can't take the fact that other persons thinks differently. Stop the useless arguements. name calling, and unecessary reporting.
    If not this thread will be locked, and since it's clearly a popular thread wouldn't that be a shame?

As for the death-penalty argument. I've made my case over multiple epic posts and yet people still don't want to get it. I can only conclude that they're either too lazy to read it all and thus jump to conclusions or simply can;t wrap their head around that single element of game design.
    No, the problem is that there is a death penalty, and that you're the only one that thinks it isn't enough. Which, to be honest, is kind of the point of this thread though innit? Some people just seem to get a bit rabid in their defense of things they like, though it seems to be mostly in regards to raids and gear progression. Personally I HATE dying, even if the only consequence is 20 seconds of downtime. I think the gold cost (using a waypoint) and corpse run (well, running back to where you were) and the possibility of your death resulting in a loss of a dynamic event are more than enough to make death bad and make you want to avoid it. If you think about it, it is essentially the same penalties that WoW has minus the spirit rez option. Maybe I was just conditioned by EverQuest to avoid death at all costs, some of the roughest of death penalties of any game...

Quote Originally Posted by whill4 View Post
    I never really understood why having two factions was ever a good idea? Honestly what good ever comes from splitting your entire community in half? At the end of the day the only thing that comes from having a Horde and Alliance is whining, having to make double the content, and balancing issues.
    This a billion and one times. Besides, most faction-related discussions on these forums degenerate into:
    "lolol horde is teh pwn alliance is teh suck full of kids and bads"
    infracted.
    "NO U fanboi, BLIZZ LUVS HORDE plot armor zomg"
    infracted.

To me, anyone who can't wrap their head around not having factions falls into one or both of these categories:
    1) WoW is the first MMORPG they played.
    2) Their pathetic existence revolves around ganking players 50 levels below them.

Maybe a bit of that excitement that comes from playing on a PvP server will be gone in PvE, but the WvWvW should pretty much cover it. The story in GW2 should be engrossing enough that you don't have to become invested via petty squabbles between 2 factions. The idea was born with WoW and, like everything about WoW, for some dumb reason became the ONLY WAY TO DO THINGS SINCE WOW DID IT! Seriously, EverQuest worked just fine with all the players working together, yet after WoW every #*%*^@(* MMO decided they needed 2 or 3 factions.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-09-30 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only post if you can be constructive. Don't flame people. Mature conversations can be had, but it takes both sides to make it work. Keep it clean folks.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    No, the problem is that there is a death penalty, and that you're the only one that thinks it isn't enough. Which, to be honest, is kind of the point of this thread though innit? Some people just seem to get a bit rabid in their defense of things they like, though it seems to be mostly in regards to raids and gear progression. Personally I HATE dying, even if the only consequence is 20 seconds of downtime. I think the gold cost (using a waypoint) and corpse run (well, running back to where you were) and the possibility of your death resulting in a loss of a dynamic event are more than enough to make death bad and make you want to avoid it. If you think about it, it is essentially the same penalties that WoW has minus the spirit rez option. Maybe I was just conditioned by EverQuest to avoid death at all costs, some of the roughest of death penalties of any game...

This a billion and one times. Besides, most faction-related discussions on these forums degenerate into:
    "lolol horde is teh pwn alliance is teh suck full of kids and bads"
    infracted.
    "NO U fanboi, BLIZZ LUVS HORDE plot armor zomg"
    infracted.

To me, anyone who can't wrap their head around not having factions falls into one or both of these categories:
    1) WoW is the first MMORPG they played.
    2) Their pathetic existence revolves around ganking players 50 levels below them.

Maybe a bit of that excitement that comes from playing on a PvP server will be gone in PvE, but the WvWvW should pretty much cover it. The story in GW2 should be engrossing enough that you don't have to become invested via petty squabbles between 2 factions. The idea was born with WoW and, like everything about WoW, for some dumb reason became the ONLY WAY TO DO THINGS SINCE WOW DID IT! Seriously, EverQuest worked just fine with all the players working together, yet after WoW every #*%*^@(* MMO decided they needed 2 or 3 factions.
    I have to agree with this. You don't need factions in any MMO to make it work. Hell, look at the Charr in their character intro. The Ash, Blood, and Iron Legion HATE each other, but they work for a common goal since the ghosts of Ascalon keep trying to kill them. Perfect reason enough to me.

It also takes me back to when I first started playing D&D. We would have a very diverse group, me usually being the biggest and most grizzled looking race. My first ever group consisted of a couple of humans, an angry dwarf, an even more angry Gnome Fighter, an elf, a pigman (our oldest member has had his character Snort for many years), my husband's minotaur, and my Gnoll Gladiator. Given the adventure we had in some ice caverns was the best one I remember.

We worked hard against some nasty four armed gorilla like creatures throwing massive icicles at us. We had also found the frozen body of a mage's apprentice and dragged him around like a sack of flour (our leader named him Popsicle Boy). We killed the monkey creatures, and somehow figured out that we had to open a door using the dead boy's symbol on his palm. Once in the huge room, we were to save a Celestial from the roof (the room was 4-6 stories tall). There was also a frozen elemental in the middle of a the room under her. So some of us started climbing up to save her, and they used a "sun orb" to melt the magic ice off of her and caught her. Buuuuuuuuut, this also released a Massive Water Elemental from the middle of the room. Even worse was half of us didn't have enchanted weapons, so it WAS like trying to hurt/kill water irl. We had to ask our deities for help and most of us just gained a +1 weapon so we could at least hit the damn thing. Eventually we killed it, saved her, and gained REAL magic weapons out of it.

Point of the story, our diverse group went through hours of hell (we played for like 15 hours that one day) to do this quest alone. And it worked! Of course we nitpicked at each other the whole time, but in the end we were victorious. I also believe this can work for GW2's advantage, having 0 factions and everyone working together.

I see these threads in every forum I visit. And they always devolve into flame wars.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yeah one of the reasons I would have preferred we had stuck to the GW2 thread instead having a forum (this exact same thread was made on the official curse GW2 site as well).
    Because that thread had absolutely no flaming and was extremely easy to read with people talking about 6 things at the same time, mostly about Guild Wars 1, might I add.