The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That build generates its own power!!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

ok guys im from australia taken the 800 budget computer and built for me. already have mouse/keyboard/speakers/monitor. so tell me what you think

case : Coolermaster RC371 - $43
    motherboard : Gigabyte P67A-UD3PB3 $155
    cpu :i5-2500k $219
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti – $192.00
    ram : 4G Kit 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws-X $34
    ssd : Patriot SATA3 PYRO(Sanforce SF-2281) 60G - 106
    power : Antec Neo Eco 620 - 67

=816

Upgraded the ssd
    Last edited by Dreadknocked; 2012-01-16 at 04:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I take it you have a HDD already you're ready to use?
    "A flower.

yeah mate got the hdd's just gona run windows and possibly afew games off ssd

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't expect too much room on a 32GB SSD. :P
    "A flower.

yeah lol i'd prob run d3 and windows off it only

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hey Marest, there's no PSU in the Office $300 build.
    There sure is; there is a 80W open laptop-type PSU bundled with the case, the Antec ISK 100.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-18 at 12:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh.

I stand corrected.

/feels stupid
    "A flower.

case : Coolermaster RC371 - $43
    motherboard : Gigabyte P67A-UD3PB3 $155
    cpu :i5-2500k $219
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti – $192.00
    ram : 4G Kit 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws-X $34
    ssd : Patriot SATA3 PYRO(Sanforce SF-2281) 60G - 106
    power : Antec Neo Eco 620 - 67

=816

pretty happy with the build i got i got about $250 left over. Think that'll be enough power to run my machine? and what should i up with the extra cash?Also abit confused when i get the gear how the ssd works. Does it take the place of a hdd? or can i just slot it in somewhere? i plan on having my WD Blue SATA3 500G and my wd 1t (storage/movies) and then the ssd. Will that work?
    Last edited by Dreadknocked; 2012-01-18 at 07:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask in Post Your Gaming Setup or make a new thread buddy :P this thread is aimed at discussing the sample builds on the first page and suggestions/updates to those builds.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

For the $800 build, and using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 with it, how much could I overclock to and still be in a relatively safe zone?
    Last edited by SmthJce33; 2012-01-18 at 03:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthJce33 View Post
    For the $800 build, and using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 with it, how much could I overclock to and still be in a relatively safe zone?
    Depends on the chip and your ambient temperature (= how hot you want your CPU to run). I reckon 4.5GHz fairly easily, running around 55-65c at load with average room-temperature and good air circulation in the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    what do you think about using this for a 2600k substitute for those not seeking to overclock, or for a workstation

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115083

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    what do you think about using this for a 2600k substitute for those not seeking to overclock, or for a workstation

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115083
    I'd give that suggestion a big thumbs-up if these benches hold true:

i7 2600 vs E3-1230 (click to expand):

Cinebench:

7-Zip:

Good find Cyanotic
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-01-21 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    It's a good find, but I feel it's a workstation CPU best fitted in an ~$900 (or thereabouts) build, and as I don't feel like increasing the number of builds on the list the option would be to move the 1150 workstation down a notch (which honestly would be fine). However considering the strength (and the ease of overclocking) of the 2600k it feels like a much sounder and smarter choice - even if it costs a bit more.

Taking the motherboards into consideration makes the 2600k an even better choice as (as far as I can tell anyway) the Xeon E3's need specific motherboard chipsets and a good motherboard goes for around ~$180 at least (and that's for the cheaper and very feature lacking C202 chipset; C204 and C206 are ~$220+), which makes my estimate of a ~$900 budget a bit off. It also makes it a more expensive solution than the 2600k.

I'd also like to skip the Quadro and FirePro cards altogether as they are cards directed towards a very specific user and I believe it would be better if the workstations were left with "open choices"; the crucial parts (e.g. sound and graphic cards aimed at music or video production) should be hand selected for the specific user's intentions rather than given as an example.

I'm planning a minor overhaul in early February to update the prices, products and budgets. I also hope that we might see some new (and well priced) Radeon 7970 non-reference cards on the market by then.

Deleted
    Fully updated; overhaul of all setups and their prices. Comments and remarks are very welcome.

- The former 700 build received some changes and moved down to 650 to be more in-line with the builds above and below it.
    - Both workstation sample builds have had their GPUs removed. Additions such as GPU and SPU remain optional and should be based on the users personal input, preferences and intentions.
    - The Extreme Gaming 3400 is now listed with dual Radeon 7970s (will be updated as soon as the other custom cooler cards become available, such as MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte and ASUS). The case was also swapped out for a Cosmos II.

I'm contemplating adding a list of good, reliable ATX mid- and full-tower cases ranging from ~$20 to $200 to make it easier for users to find good, reliable cases at certain price intervals. If this will be a part of this post or an overhaul of the existing Case Catalog is not yet decided. Input is as always very welcome.

A list of peripherals (suggestions) is in the works and will be added when the next major overhaul takes place (late February most likely). I plan to have 3-4 categories for each product type (monitor, soundcard, keyboard, mouse, speakers and headset) - first being extreme budget, second budget, third mid-range and forth high-end. If you want to suggest certain products you are very welcome to do so (please feel free to PM me).

Again, your input and comments are very welcome!
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-23 at 06:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a nice opportunity to introduce people to the world of 120hz monitors and non-onboard soundcards! Suggest them here instead of PM'ing so others can add their input on it

Deleted
    I might do that Xuvial (perhaps as a separate thread even to get some proper feedback). I do have a ton of stuff on my to-do list and with a new job to get into I might just push the peripherals list a bit. It will get done though... eventually, as it is something I believe people using this thread could benefit from as there's a lot of mediocre and horribly priced gaming merchandise and computer peripherals out there.

A suggestion (I apologize if this has been mentioned/addressed): I often use your sample builds when helping someone here on MMO-C, and I almost always forget to include a CD-Rom Drive. Is there a reason you don't include them in your builds? While it is true that they are technically optional, it makes things like installing an OS much simpler.

Either way, I'm grateful for this thread! It is nice having a consolidated build since we all mostly recommend the same thing anyway!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    A suggestion (I apologize if this has been mentioned/addressed): I often use your sample builds when helping someone here on MMO-C, and I almost always forget to include a CD-Rom Drive. Is there a reason you don't include them in your builds? While it is true that they are technically optional, it makes things like installing an OS much simpler.

Either way, I'm grateful for this thread! It is nice having a consolidated build since we all mostly recommend the same thing anyway!
    Typically we figure a lot of people can yank them out of previous builds, I think. Also you can install most programs off a USB.
    "A flower.