Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminus View Post
    I'm hoping for a Mass Effect MMO
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09...ss-effect-mmo/

I just started playing Mass Effect for the first time and I'm blown away. I think an MMO for that would be damned awesome. Maybe if Bioware ever did release multiple MMOs they could do what Sony does with that station pass or whatever it's called where you pay one monthly fee for all their MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09...ss-effect-mmo/

I just started playing Mass Effect for the first time and I'm blown away. I think an MMO for that would be damned awesome. Maybe if Bioware ever did release multiple MMOs they could do what Sony does with that station pass or whatever it's called where you pay one monthly fee for all their MMOs.
    As long as they don't make the Sentinel as OP in the MMO as they did in ME2, it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    Please tell me what features it has that makes it different from other traditional MMOs? It has a leveling system based on questing, it has the holy trinity of tank/healer/dps, the end-game consists of raiding and pvp arenas/battlegrouns (or whatever you want to call it). Again, I never said it was a bad thing. It really is a matter of personal preference. People want the same game in a new setting, and that's what they get. Nothing bad about that, but it is the truth, and saying it's different is really just a lie.

Edit: I also like how you say that I consider this exactly the same as GW, because GW is one of those games I'd consider to be different to other MMOs. GW2 more so than GW1.
    I shouldn't have to repeat what I already said and what I already called you out for brushing off, find the pages button and read what you chose to ignore before.

GW uses Warriors, rangers and thieves, It's the exact same as every other fantasy game and mmorpg. See how easy it is to say your game of choice is exactly the same while ignoring everything you said? I can do it too!

As I've already said you are heavily biased and don't seem to want to listen to logic so I shouldn't really waste my time. I'll be playing it. If you want to ignore SWTOR and its different features that's your problem, I shouldn't dwell on your stubbornness.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

15+ Year Old Account
    GW uses Warriors, rangers and thieves, It's the exact same as every other fantasy game and mmorpg. See how easy it is to say your game of choice is exactly the same while ignoring everything you said? I can do it too!
    I'm talking about gameplay, not style. The style is different, but the gameplay is the same. GW however has same style, but different gameplay.

Yeah console gameplay lols

OT: I dont see how SWTOR can not be succesful, it has over 1 million pre-orders at least already...people will stick around after thier first month is over for the leveling alone which has been reported by many journalists as exciting and they are unable to put it down. As long as end game holds up with PvP and raiding (already 2 raids in place) then i dont see a problem.
    Last edited by Osskssa; 2011-10-22 at 11:31 AM.

I never understood the whole GW2 versus other MMO's argument. For me, I see it as a benefit since GW2 won't have a subscription fee--so I can play both games! I am really curious how ArenaNet intends to keep content flowing beyond expansions if the game is successful on a level beyond their expectations; part of the reason the original did well was because it was on the middle-road...had a decent amount of players for a good while, but never so much that it was overbearing. Not having the monthly sub is a blessing to us, but in the end it'll probably hurt them in the sense that they're limited on funds and resources versus Blizzard and Bioware.

I can completely understand the Blizzard vs. Bioware arguments, since you'd be paying $30.00 in fees a month if you subbed to both, but it's not like you have to choose when it comes to GW2. The only limit is your free time, or rather how you manage it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haydest View Post
    I can completely understand the Blizzard vs. Bioware arguments, since you'd be paying $30.00 in fees a month if you subbed to both, but it's not like you have to choose when it comes to GW2. The only limit is your free time, or rather how you manage it.
    I think a lot of people are underestimating the amount of time an MMO can take up. Especially if you invest in more than one. As a gamer, there's countless titles I'll go back to play from time to time depending upon my urges. In addition, there's a fair few upcoming games I want to buy and play - so I for one can't see myself playing two MMO's at the same time. Then of course there is stuff like education and work and social things that suck up more free time.

I'm talking about gameplay, not style. The style is different, but the gameplay is the same. GW however has same style, but different gameplay.
    companions and voice actors are different. So is the crafting system. Read some other peoples responses before you complain or leave to the GW forum if you are so obsessed with it to listen to others.
    The true MOP trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vdywKd3MsYw
    Seriously wow players? How can you still defend Blizzard?

How noble of WoW to sacrifice themselves with this expansion to make way for better things...

Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    I think a lot of people are underestimating the amount of time an MMO can take up. Especially if you invest in more than one. As a gamer, there's countless titles I'll go back to play from time to time depending upon my urges. In addition, there's a fair few upcoming games I want to buy and play - so I for one can't see myself playing two MMO's at the same time. Then of course there is stuff like education and work and social things that suck up more free time.
    Most MMOs are going more casual though. To me the leveling process is what takes the most time in an MMO nowadays, end game tends to have a lot of downtime especially if you are not a hardcore raider. With this I think it's perfectly feasible for someone to invest in two MMOs. It's on a case by case basis though so your mileage my vary.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Most MMOs are going more casual though. To me the leveling process is what takes the most time in an MMO nowadays, end game tends to have a lot of downtime especially if you are not a hardcore raider. With this I think it's perfectly feasible for someone to invest in two MMOs. It's on a case by case basis though so your mileage my vary.
    Yeah, but WoW is sorely lacking in terms of having something to invest in once you reach the endgame content - there's very little exploration beyond daily quest hubs and instanced content (dungeons, raids and battlegrounds) and very little player interaction outside of those three places. We desperately need to see more content that can be invested in the long term perspective. As a rough idea, player housing would be a prime example - especially if you could define your character's home to display some of the treasures and such that you've gathered throughout your journeys.

Well, I for one am seriously looking forward to SWTOR for many reasons.

It strikes me as an intriguing story line. I'm thoroughly interested in story based questing, and how it will effect my game play at many levels down the road.

The concept strikes me as dynamic, and with many, many areas to explore, I hope to have learn more of how to play my class and characters long before I reach max level.

That said, I sure hope that this game lives up to the hype it's received. If TOR doesn't, well, maybe I'll just have to get a life and play in the sun again.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelheim View Post
    Yeah, but WoW is sorely lacking in terms of having something to invest in once you reach the endgame content - there's very little exploration beyond daily quest hubs and instanced content (dungeons, raids and battlegrounds) and very little player interaction outside of those three places. We desperately need to see more content that can be invested in the long term perspective. As a rough idea, player housing would be a prime example - especially if you could define your character's home to display some of the treasures and such that you've gathered throughout your journeys.
    Oh man, could you imagine the QQ and flaming that would ensue if Blizz even hinted at player/guild housing?

Also, max level is what you make of it. There are lots of things to do besides dailys, dungeons, raids and BGs. And there will be much, much more to do once MoP comes out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VenomousCarnage View Post
    companions and voice actors are different. So is the crafting system. Read some other peoples responses before you complain or leave to the GW forum if you are so obsessed with it to listen to others.
    I am interested in this game, I'm just annoyed by people lying about this game to make it seem better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am interested in this game, I'm just annoyed by people lying about this game to make it seem better.
    Hm. I'm annoyed about people lying about the game to make it seem worse.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Hm. I'm annoyed about people lying about the game to make it seem worse.
    I'm not really lying when I'm telling people that it won't be revolutionary different which they claim.

Edit: Anyway, I'm just going to let this go before it turns into something worse. People have been twisting my words and I made the mistake of going along with it, which I shouldn't have done. I started out commenting on a guy saying that this game would change the way MMOs were played, and it just went on from there.
    Last edited by Ishu; 2011-10-22 at 11:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really lying when I'm telling people that it won't be revolutionary different which they claim.
    No, you're giving your opinion on a word that means something different to different people. That still doesn't make them a liar if they believe differently or have a different definition of that word than you do. Further more, you have said before you have no interest in this game because you don't have the time for 2 MMOs, and GW2 will be your game. So my understanding of your past posts says that you are here to simply stir the pot?

Also, this was all started in this post:
    Personally I don't think it will have a big impact on the development of WoW if this game is successful. It might have an impact on blizzards next MMO, but WoW is too old for another game to have too much influence on the further development (which will probably end with the next expansion anyway). And even then, this game is too much like classic MMOs to have any huge impact on the genre. It doesn't bring anything revolutionary, so even if it's very well polished and very good, it won't be able to change the genre very much.
    Now that we see that TOR has impacted WoW, like you said on the 8th that it wouldn't, you are still bringing it up? I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't see your point in continuing the talk. /shrug
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-22 at 11:16 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, read my edit. Didn't mean for it to go this far.

Deleted

Edit: Anyway, I'm just going to let this go before it turns into something worse. People have been twisting my words and I made the mistake of going along with it, which I shouldn't have done. I started out commenting on a guy saying that this game would change the way MMOs were played, and it just went on from there.
    I think having fully-voiced interactive dialogue/story in an MMO is actually a pretty big deal just by itself. It should be a huge step-up in terms of immersiveness for an MMO. I am not aware of any other MMO having attempted this. I think you are underestimating how big a difference it makes to player psychology, motivation, engagement and ultimately enjoyment. And for the record, I fully intend trying out GW2 whenever it launches as well.
    Last edited by mmocf76426b677; 2011-10-22 at 11:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kledic View Post
    I think having fully-voiced interactive dialogue/story in an MMO is actually a pretty big deal just by itself. It should be a huge step-up in terms of immersiveness for an MMO. I am not aware of any other MMO having attempted this. I think you are underestimating how big a difference it makes to player psychology, motivation, engagement and ultimately enjoyment.
    The interactive dialogue will certainly be an enjoyable part of the game if the quality of said dialogue is good. And I'm sure that this game will be fun to play (which is why I'm still reading information about it, there might be enough to persuade me to get it anyway). I just have my doubts about how much of an impact this game will have on the evolution of the genre. I mean, WoW made this genre accessible to the masses whereas before it was only accessible to the most elite. But as I said in my last post, I don't want to comment on this any further as I'm not here to stir up a useless argument.

The interactive dialogue will certainly be an enjoyable part of the game if the quality of said dialogue is good. And I'm sure that this game will be fun to play (which is why I'm still reading information about it, there might be enough to persuade me to get it anyway). I just have my doubts about how much of an impact this game will have on the evolution of the genre. I mean, WoW made this genre accessible to the masses whereas before it was only accessible to the most elite. But as I said in my last post, I don't want to comment on this any further as I'm not here to stir up a useless argument.
    As long as the conversation is respectful, it's not a useless argument.

It's my personal opinion that there's two types of MMOs. One has a strong focus on the process and has a decent end result. The other has a decent process but has a strong focus on the end result. To me, SWTOR is more of the former, and WoW (especially with MoP) is more of the latter. Which you play will depend largely on which you prefer, the means or the ends. I happen to like both.