Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Are you stereotyped because of your look or build?

Are you ever stereotyped by your look or build? How do you deal with it?

I am finding that, even well into my 30's, I am stereotyped by my build and that I am socially restricted and somewhat socially isolated because of it. It gets old and I am tired of it. It may sound a little off, but hear me out:

People will rarely talk to me openly...I've been told I am not the kind of person that looks 'friendly' and 'welcoming'. When people do strike up conversations with me (at parties or social/neighborhood functions) it is always about football. The only reason I can think of is because I am built like I could make a really good living out of running into things and knocking them over.

Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about football (mainly because the thought of it bores me to tears) so when I get the “How 'bout them Packers?” question from the random middle-aged guy in sports attire in line with me at the check-out stand I usually have a generic answer of “They did alright considering,” that will at least get me past the point of giving away that I know NOTHING of the game.

In the rare event that I find myself at a bar I am also that guy that will have someone try to pick a fight with them because they are trying to impress the pretty girl at the booth or just have alcohol-induced ball growth. I have a daughter who needs me a lot more than the county jail so I will be the first to turn my back and walk away.

I like NPR, MMOs, and history. I am passionate about books and science. But the intelligentsia types I know seem to keep a “jock like me” away from their social groups. Skinny jeans don't quite fit and when I grow out a beard to soften my looks I just get told that I look like this guy.

The only close friend I've had in years is a former neighbor who actually saw past the exterior and got to know me for me and, as it turns out, was a english and history teacher. We would talk for hours about all sorts of interesting topics, have some good laughs, and take turns hosting dinners for one another. Unfortunately, she moved away not to long ago and it has been difficult on both sides to keep in touch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree.I can't stand people who make instant value judgements on people without knowing anything about them.

Yeah, ppl always ask me if I play basketball, but I do so I don't care.

So you're mad because you're a big dude who looks scary as hell?

Wow this is a first I must say. If I were you I would just strut around the geek classes with a high sense of superiority for being a scary dude. I don't get why you aren't taking advantage of the power you actually have. Put the "lesser beings" in their place by asserting your dominance as pack leader of the pride.
    "Do not brand me a tyrant" - Knight Commander Meredith

Deleted
    I'm ginger, I think you can fill in the rest from there by yourself

15+ Year Old Account
    Try going to places that match your interests, I know geek girls that would go batshit for an intelligent bear of a man

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I completely agree.I can't stand people who make instant value judgements on people without knowing anything about them.

As if you don't. But maybe you're atleast aware of it.

And yes, I probably am stereotyped. I haven't really noticed.

Deleted
    Tbh, that picture with the guy and his beard ... he looks awesome. But no I don't get stereotyped I think, probably because I look rather neutral.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a blonde male with blue eyes, I was referred to as "Aryan scum" multiple times back at school when my dear classmates first learned about WW2.

But no, not these days...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite often, "oh look asian, you must be smart", I'm not really that smart... seriously. Also I don't really look all that great, so its not like something to go off of.

Sadly it is a first impression, that impression will last for a damn long time.

I'm in pretty good shape and quite often it's assumed that doing sport and working out are mutually exclusive to intelligence.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    not really, i have slightly long hair and a lot of people think i surf, i also live next to a beach :P but i dont surf

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Quite often, "oh look asian, you must be smart", I'm not really that smart... seriously. Also I don't really look all that great, so its not like something to go off of.

Sadly it is a first impression, that impression will last for a damn long time.
    You sure you don't have an army of mini robots in your basement? Because every Asian I know has them.

Tall, slightly balding white guy. Kinda scrawny. I'm told I don't have a very "friendly" demeanor either. So people are shocked when I crack a joke. And then I follow the joke up with something intelligent and they're all kinds of confused. Sometimes they act like it would've been easier if I had stayed quiet and containable.

Deleted
    Well, I'm not so much stereotyped by my look or build as much as I am by my decorum. I am a pretty shy/quiet guy usually (especially if there are members of the opposite sex about! /Raj-mode!) and I am certainly never the centre of attention in social gatherings, I prefer not to be. But, I am really passionate about performing music. I love it. And I happen to be a rather good singer and frontman (its one of the few things I am good at, so I feel fine not being humble about it! =P) and when I get up on the stage all that shyness dissipates and I break out my swagger, Jagger!

So, whenever a friend/acquaintance watches me perform with a band for the first time, they are usually really shocked to see quiet and shy "lil ol' me" get up there and rock it! I do enjoy their reactions! xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    not really, i have slightly long hair and a lot of people think i surf, i also live next to a beach :P but i dont surf
    That's not really a bad stereotype? You should go out surfing

OT: I was on a sailing course in Malta once. I was the only blond in the class. Everybody else had black hair. We had this mean instructor who would tell the class what to do and so on. Then she always shouted: "DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME GINGER?!?!" at me. And I'm not even ginger xD Everytime I was like: "Yes yes..."
    Then she would come to me and talk really slowly and loudly: "Yoouuu.... doooon't...... haaaaave..... to beeeeeee.... aSHAAAAAMED.....!!" and just explain everything all over again. Gtfo stupid woman.

Other than that not really. A lot of people think I play football, the European version that is I don't, but apparently I look really sporty. That's good

Deleted
    Have had people think am a teenager because of my looks, being quite short and don't really weigh that much. Been denied buying alcohol a few times because they've thought I've got a fake-ID.

Deleted
    Yes i do, i work full time as a scientist but also hold the rank as Captain in the army reserves (Infantry). I guess i look scientist more than i do a front line combat veteran, i usually have to whip out my ID just to prove who i am.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    People usually assume that I'm a biker who wants to hunt you down and choke you with biker-chains. Yeah, I'm tall, long-haired, bearded, black-clad, jeans-wearing, leather-jacket owning, guitarist, James Hetfield in the 80's look-a-like I suppose, but I'm not dangerous.

The biggest stereotype I get, is probably that everyone assumes that I'm into "Evil Satan worshipping death metulz!!!", (which I am, but that's not the point), and that always results in me telling them that all they think about heavy metal - is wrong.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Everyone is stereotyped because of their look or build to some extent.